Author Topic: Chingis Khan VS Chinggis Khan?  (Read 1497 times)

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
Chingis Khan VS Chinggis Khan?
« on: 20 February 2021, 02:49:29 »
I'm seeing conflicting spellings about Jade Falcon Khan Malvina Hazen's self-given title. While I've only read Children of Kerensky and Hour of the Wolf, both by Pardoe, those books consistently spell the title with a single "g"; according to Sarna's editors who are more familiar with Dark Age/early ilClan-era sources than I currently am, it's spelled with two, at least in BattleTech: Legends.

Which is the correct spelling of the title? Or are they both correct?
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Chingis Khan VS Chinggis Khan?
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2021, 07:03:30 »
The title comes from Ghengis Khan, and has historically been transliterated as Chinggis, Chingis, Jenghiz, or Jinghis.  So, either works, from a historical perspective.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.