Author Topic: The Old Woman (A Renegades Fanfic)  (Read 4458 times)

KayEmm

• Corporal
The Old Woman (A Renegades Fanfic)
« on: 20 December 2021, 00:14:13 »
This is a "side story" fanfic to the Renegades series that I am co-authoring. It's not really a part of the overall story, and is not "canon" to it as such. More of it's here for fun.

Part one of ongoing.
Alaric Ward and WarBear - the ultimate Dark Age OTP

KayEmm

• Corporal
Re: The Old Woman (A Renegades Fanfic)
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2021, 00:14:54 »
Many of the people of Torrens River had a simple rule. You kept your head down, you didn’t ask too many questions and you didn’t get involved in other people’s business. It was a simple rule, one that was born of good cause.

So when the woman entered town, nobody asked her any questions. She was maybe in her late fifties, with weatherbeaten features topped by blond hair with obvious dark roots. She’d asked a few short questions, mostly to get some directions and then a room. Nobody had asked where she had come from, or who she was or anything else. And she had not offered any explanation either.

For two days she had moved around the town on her own errands. She had bought supplies, asked about the local area and the broader region. And then, for the most part, she had spent her time sitting in the tavern, quietly drinking while working on a journal. Nobody had asked what she was doing, and nobody really wanted to.

And then, every now and then, she would pause as if listening to some unseen voice before going back to work.

“I’m telling you, Dex, we are through.”

“Don’t you turn your back on me, Susan!”

She looked up from her table for a moment to see what was going on. One of the waitresses was arguing with a man. Both were young; she was probably in her early-mid twenties, while he was a little older. He also stood out more then a little in among the otherwise grimy, working class tavern, both with his clean-cut good looks, as well as his well-tailored clothes.

For a moment, she tilted her head and then went back to her works.

“No, Susan,” he continued, his voice tinged with anger. “I say when we are through. You know who I am. Nobody says no to me.”

“Well then I suppose there is a first time for everything, Dexter Stoddart.”

She took another drink, her hand trembling ever so slightly as she did. There were a few people watching what was going on, including the barkeep, but nobody seemed to be interested in intervening.

“No.” He snapped. “Nobody, ever.” He grabbed her wrist.

“Get your hand off me.” His only response to that was a slap to the face.

The woman stood, taking a deep breath as she did. “The lady says she ain’t going with you. I suggest you listen to her.”

Dexter let her go, all but shoving her back as he turned to face the woman. “LIsten, lady, this is none of your business.”

“You made it my business when you interrupted my drink.”

“Do you have any idea who I am?”

“None at all,” she replied. “All I see is a coward who’s so inadequate, he’s gotta beat up a woman to feel good about himself.”

His only response was to take a furious swing at her. She stepped back, effortlessly ducking past it, maintaining a steely glare on her face. Dexter swung again, this one going even wider as she again simply stepped out his way.

“Now are you gonna settle down or do I have to make you?” She growled.

He took another swing, which she again stepped past before finally making a move of her own. Her own punch was far more measured and effective, sending him reeling back as much from the blow as the shock that somebody might actually hit him. A second pushed him back further, before a third landed with a crack that sent him stumbling to the floor.

“My nose!” he managed as he staggered to his feet, one hand over his face. Even then the trickle of blood was obvious.

“You done?” She simply asked in reply.

For a moment he glanced around, looking for some support. All he got was a room full of glares; some angry, many surprised, but none approving. “You just made a big mistake, lady,” Dexter finally spat before he staggered out the front door.

The woman’s only reply was to shake her head and resume her seat.

A moment later Susan came up to her table, clearly shaken. “Thank you,” she stammered out. “C-can I get you something?”

The woman looked up. “Go clean yerself up,” she simply replied.

Susan nodded, heading off only to be replaced with the barkeep. Overweight, with a lined face and thinning hair, he had a clearly nervous look in his eyes. “Thank you for that,” he finally managed.

“Weren’t like nobody else was going to do a thing,” she replied, her tone making it clear that she was addressing him personally.

“It’s…” he sighed. “That man is Dexter Stoddard. He’s the oldest son of Buck Stoddard, who’s… he’s got a lot of power around these parts.”

“That so, huh?” The woman considered. “Well, in that case you can do me one thing.”

“And that is?”

“Get me another drink,” she finished her glass. “Because I am probably going to need it.”

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2021, 10:01:39 »
I like her already.  Though I'm thinking she ought to draw up a bill for disciplining Mr. Stoddard's undisciplined child, and submit it as 'babysitting services'.
« Last Edit: 20 December 2021, 10:04:15 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2021, 14:40:40 »
Nice - the lady's name is "Emily Sackett Talon" https://www.goodreads.com/characters/986353-emily-sackett-talon by any chance?

KayEmm

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2021, 07:19:24 »
Nice - the lady's name is "Emily Sackett Talon" https://www.goodreads.com/characters/986353-emily-sackett-talon by any chance?

Most definitely not

KayEmm

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2021, 07:19:48 »
It hadn’t taken long for things to settle down after the fight. There was still some tension in the air, and more than a little disbelief at what had happened. It was not just the idea that somebody had picked a fight with Dex Stoddart that had people concerned, but the fear of what might come next.

Nobody crossed the Stoddart family, after all.

Susan had wisely spent the night at a friend’s house rather than going home alone. Dexter, however, had not been seen for the rest of the day. He seemed to be more shocked by the simple idea that somebody would stand up to him and not instantly defer to his position then the actual physical harm of it.

The old woman had spent the night in the same motel that she had stayed in every other night she had been there. Nobody there had asked her any questions about what had happened, but it was clear to her that this was the sort of place where nobody asked questions at all. Anyone observing her would have likely concluded that she preferred it this way.

After waking and getting breakfast, she had spent the morning walking around the town. Torrens River really didn’t have much to offer, being little more than a crossroads in the middle of what was primarily agricultural land. Not exactly thriving, but not exactly dying either. A working class town which just happened to be the home to one man who made the rules in it.

On her walk she’d passed Stodart’s place, not that it was exactly hard to miss. A sprawling villa, it was placed so that it would be conveniently overlooking the town, as if to give its owner a view of his eminent domain. She’d taken notice of the high fences, the security cameras and the handful of conspicuously armed men wandering around the premises. Not uniformed security or anything else to that effect; just locals who were in his employ and clearly were reaping the benefits of the arrangement.

It told her a lot about his relationship with the rest of the town.

Taking stock of her plans, she headed towards the general store, looking to stock up on supplies. The first sign of trouble was obvious before she entered. A pickup truck in the carpark stood out for a number of reasons. Not just was it newer than any of the other vehicles she had seen about town, but also it had been extensively customised; an obvious contrast to the largely worn, drab cars most of the populace drove. On top of that, it was gratuitously mis-parked, skewed across several spots.

It wasn’t just an act of laziness or bad driving. This was a very deliberate and petty sort of malice.

As soon as she stepped inside she could hear the sounds of an argument. Two men were making loud demands, focused on being behind on payments and the inevitable threats of violence. A woman was protesting, claiming that she had already paid and couldn’t afford more. The loud crash of something shattering as it hit the floor was merely the punctuation to the argument.

Rounding a shelf row, she spied the counter and spied those involved in the argument. The counter was being attended by a woman, probably a decade younger than she was and decidedly harried looking, even before the obvious fear she was showing at her situation.

The two men menacing her were so different that they would have been comical in any other situation. The one at the counter was rail thin, with scruffy, stringy hair and a row of misshapen front teeth that made his leer even more repulsive. The man behind him was obese to the point of being spherical, with a thick beard covering his face and obvious sweat stains across his clothes.

And yet she could also see something between them. They had the same eyes, and not just the shape or color. It was their expression, that clear feeling of entitlement, and the knowledge that nobody would, or even could fight back against them.

“Now I don’t know what your problem here is,” the old woman began, her tone neutral. “But I suggest that the pair of you step back and just get out of here.”

The thin man turned to face her, and was about to say something when his companion placed a meaty hand on his shoulder. “Hey Jerome,” he began, his jowls quivering as he spoke. “You know who that is?”

He narrowed his eyes. “Yeah, I do, Buford. That’s the woman what beat up our brother.”

“Yer right there,” Buford nodded. “Clear she don’t know how things work about these parts.”

“I’m thinkin’ we should give her a lesson,” Jerome leered. “Teach her some proper manners.”

The old woman simply stood there, her head tilted to one side for a moment as if she was listening to advice from an unseen partner. “I said, you both should leave. Now.”

Jerome and Buford shot each other quick glances, as if they couldn’t handle the idea that somebody was not automatically intimidated by them. Despite that, Buford stomped forwards, cracking the knuckles of his meaty hands as he advanced. “You’re gonna be sorry you messed with us,” he leered.

For her part, the woman didn’t flinch as he approached, which seemed to make him even angrier. He took a massive swing at her, letting out an angry grunt as he did. She ducked under it, before swinging back and hitting him hard in his gut. That produced a sudden, almost explosive gasp as he doubled over, his eyes bulging. With a loud wheeze, he stumbled back from her.

As he reeled back, Jerome lunged at her with an angry shout. Her response was entirely defensive, ducking and weaving past his untrained blows, carefully stepping back as she did with clearly practiced precision. Seeing an opening, she hit back, delivering a series of quick and precise blows to his chest before a jab at his neck. That was enough to stop him dead in his tracks, leaving him clutching his neck as he gasped for air.

Not that his brother was going to give her the chance. Buford all but threw himself at her with a furious roar, bearing down on her like a tsunami. Her response was understated, a sidestep that turned into a trip that saw the massive man crash hard to the floor. As soon as he hit, she delivered a crushing stomp to his ankle that saw him cry out in pain.

Turning, she grabbed Jerome by his hair and then violently smashed his face into one of the produce shelves. Half releasing, half pushing him, she let him flail back out of her grasp. “Now go. Both of you.” Her tone was commanding, and yet tinged with superiority, of her talking down to them.

Jerome didn’t need to be asked twice. “You’ll regret this, you’ll see!” He spat as he stumbled out of the store, trying to save some sort of face. Buford could best manage a crawl, wheezing as much from the blow to the gut as the exertion of trying to pick himself up, but none the less joined his brother in their exit.

The old woman just let out an angry sigh before turning back to the counter.

“Thank you for that,” the harried shopkeeper managed, still clearly shaken by the experience. “I told them that I had already paid for the month but…”

“Standover tactics,” the woman simply replied. “You pay ‘em once, they know they can wring whatever they want out of you.”

The shopkeeper nodded. “Are you alright?”

For a moment the woman paused, again tilting her head ever so slightly. “No. But I’ll be fine.”

KayEmm

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2022, 22:21:02 »
Even after her two interventions, the townspeople had mostly been unwilling to talk to the old woman. Many discretely kept their distance, as if she was about to bring the wrath of god down on herself and they did not want to be caught in the fire. Others would engage with her, but purely in a functional way; shopkeepers and the like who she was trying to business with. Even then, they made little effort to converse with her, simply getting things over and done with.

It was three days before she found somebody who was willing to actually talk with her, in the form of Susan the waitress. While still shaken from Dexter’s assault, she was willing to talk a lot more about him. And what had started with explaining the dropship wreck that their relationship had been had spiraled into so much more.

Once she had started, she didn’t want to stop. Months and years of frustrations spilled out as Susan unloaded about so many different things that had clearly been weighing on her mind. The old woman had done her best to subtly direct and steer the conversation, ensuring that she gave up all that she knew about the Stoddarts and their relationship with the rest of the town.

Ultimately, that wasn’t hard, given that she had a lot to say.

Buck Stoddard had moved into the town a bit under three years ago. At the time, he’d come off as entrepreneurial, trying to help pick up the town’s depressed economy. He’d thrown around cash, spent it on getting businesses into shape and helping to build it all up. Of course, that had all been based on predatory loans, a factor that few had fully realized until it was too late.

Circumstances had played to his favor as well. When a band of rogue mercenaries had tried taking over the world, Stoddard had made a big deal about protecting the town. That had allowed him to arm his own men, allegedly to help defend it should the worst happen.

Next thing everyone knew, those same men were enforcing payments and ensuring that everyone in town stayed in line. The local sheriff didn’t help any, having apparently been paid off enough to look the other way. Not that he was really any use to begin with, apparently. She’d suspected as such already, but the confirmation was useful.

It hasn’t taken much to direct the conversation towards Stoddard himself and his family, especially given Susan’s own personal involvement with them. She’d gotten to know them to a degree during her time with Dexter, which had given her a lot of insight towards them. It also gave her a whole world of regrets.

By all accounts, Buck Stoddard was as heavy-handed in the rule of his family as he was in the way he ran the town. He tolerated no failure from his men, or even his sons. She’d once seen him berate Dexter for simply speaking up and offering a suggestion that he didn’t agree with, belittling him and verbally beating him down. He’d been more concerned with his son talking back at him then how he looked in front of her.

For his part, Dexter was unquestionably the favored son. The oldest, he served as something of the front man for his father in his interactions with the rest of the town. Handsome and forward, he also was given to lashing out when he didn’t get his own way; a trait the old woman suspected he got from his father.

Jerome and Buford, on the other hand, seemed to be mostly there as Dexter’s thugs. Both equally unappealing in their own ways, neither seemed to have any interest in earning their father’s favor, or, for that matter, risking his anger. Jerome was generally seen as being creepy and unpleasant to be around, with rumors circulating as to his tastes. Buford, on the other hand, was simply a lazy glutton who liked to throw his weight around, figuratively and literally.

The old woman noticed that there was never once a mention of a Missus Stoddard.

All in all, she had learned a lot about the situation and the people behind it. Among other things, she expected that Stoddard would not have taken the setbacks that his sons had suffered well. He would have likely taken out his disappointments on them, which would in turn prompt them into action to make up for their failures. And as she was the source of their grief, she would likely be the target of their retaliation.

Thus she was not surprised when Dexter entered the bar that evening. He made a big show of his presence, not only barging his way in but also bringing a pair of his men with him. While they weren’t carrying openly, she also could tell that they had pistols concealed on them. As he approached her table, she barely looked up.

“You-”

“You want to have it out with me,” She spoke up, cutting him off before he could say anything, “because you feel so inadequate about being beat up by an old woman.” She took a sip from her drink before continuing. “And yer such a damn coward that yer going to start beating up the people here until I agree,” she was barely even looking at him, instead tilting her neck, listening for some unheard voice.

“I-”

The woman stood. “So let’s just get this over and done with, kid so I can get back to my drink.” She stepped past him, heading out the front door before turning back to him. “And I mean outside. I don’t wanna make a mess in here.”

Dexter followed her out, trying his best to look like he was in control. Outside was an imported Gineah sports car, something that was far too new, clean and expensive for the town; she immediately could tell it was his. Stopping by it, the woman turned around, rolling her shoulders, clearly wincing a little as she did. “So here we are. You gonna beat up an old woman now to make yourself feel better.”

“Stop. Talking.” He spat.

“Fine. Hit me with your best shot.” She simply shrugged.

To his credit, his blow was far more accurate and better delivered then the wild swings he had led with when they first clashed. That didn’t stop her from blocking it with her arm, her own movements clear and practiced. A second swing with his other hand that she also blocked, and then a third. All of which was accompanied by a careful weaving on her part as she stepped back, ensuring that she was at the limits of his reach.

This, combined with her earlier dismissal, clearly had him frustrated. His practiced blows quickly became wilder and angrier, exchanging control for sheer rage. He took a broad swing that she easily stepped past, turning that sidestep into a trip. Unbalanced by his own momentum, Dexter toppled forwards, falling flat on the carpark.

“There, you all satisfied?” She asked as she stepped back from him.

He sprang up and lunged at her, his blow still going well wide of her. However, his second did hit home, even as she turned with it. Instead of hitting back, her only response was to sigh. “Fine. Have it your way.”

Her reply blow was fast and hard, hitting Dexter in the gut. He let out a loud whumph of pain, staggering a moment before he regained his momentum. Coming back at her, he continued his assault, any pretense of precision or restraint lost in a frenzy of blows, accentuated by an angry shout. Once more, she went on the defensive, focusing on blocking, ducking and weaving.

She ducked past him as he took a broad swing, his fist instead hitting one of the tavern's porch posts. Letting out a loud yell of pain, he instinctively grabbed his hand, before realising his mistake. The old woman hit back, hard, delivering several blows to his chest and pushing him back and then stumbling.

“You done?” She spat. His reply was to once again lunge at her, only to get a knee to the midsection. As he doubled over, the woman grabbed the back of his shirt, dragging him across the asphalt to his car. Then, with more than a little of her own anger, she slammed his face hard into the hood of his car. Released, Dexter slumped to the ground a third time, blood streaming from his nose.

He looked up to see that the pair of them were not alone. Around them were the patrons from the tavern, who had stepped outside to see the fight unfold. And now they were staring at their tormenter being beaten in the same way that he had beaten so many of them.

“What are you all looking at?” He spat. “Get her, already.” His two thugs looked at the woman, then looked around at all those gathered, then finally back at each other. Nervously, they stepped back, clearly unsure who they least wanted to deal with.

“Go home to daddy, boy,” the old woman replied. She was clearly rattled and wheezing, but still standing in angry defiance, a direct contrast to Dexter’s obvious defeat.

“This isn’t over!” He snapped as he stumbled back. “You just made a big mistake, lady.” He clumsily got into his car, speeding off to more than a few catcalls from the assembled crowd.

The old woman sighed as she slumped a bit. “Probably,” she simply replied to the air.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2022, 06:39:22 »
That's almost motherly.  geez.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2022, 19:19:19 »
at some point someone going to get killed here...
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

KayEmm

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2022, 07:12:20 »
In the days following Dexter’s fight outside the tavern, there had been a small but noticeable shift in the atmosphere in the town. He hadn’t been publicly seen since the fight, nor had either of his brothers. Even Stoddard’s men were less visible then they had been in past; while they had been on the streets, they weren’t directly interacting with the people. Rather, they were just staying as a looming, background presence.

The people themselves felt both more relaxed and more tense at the same time. They didn’t have Stoddard’s men menacing them or extorting payments, but many were wary of what would come next. Nobody expected that Stoddard would let this challenge go unanswered, but the question remained as to what he would do about it.

Despite being the cause of the situation, the old woman had gone about her business as she had on previous days. Her day started at the motel, then she headed to a diner for breakfast. On this morning, she was joined at her table.

Looking up, she took in the newcomer. He was immediately different in her eye to many of the others she’d dealt with in the town, both in attitude and stance. This wasn’t an immediately hostile visitor, with him seeming far more relaxed and affable than those who had come to pick fights with her before. She figured him to be about her age, with a weatherbeaten face only partially covered by a wiry beard.

“Any reason why you’re interrupting my breakfast,” she simply asked.

“Forgive the interruption,” her replied, his tone pleasant. “My name is Sam Thompson. I run one of the biggest farms around here.”

“And?”

“Look, many people may not show it, but you’ve done a lot for us so far. Nobody’s been able to stand up to the Stoddards in a long time.”

“Able or willing to?” She asked.

He gave a small nod, perhaps an admission of his own failings. “With that being said, I admit I interrupted your breakfast for a reason. I’ve come here to offer you a job.”

“I’m not here to be somebody’s enforcer, if that’s what you want.”

“Nothing of the sort,” he replied, shaking his head. “Look, I know that this is a longshot, but do you have any experience with AgroMechs?”

For the first time since she’d entered the town, the women seemed taken back, and at a loss for words. “Why would you ask?”

“The Stoddards ran off a number of my workers after I refused to play along with them,” he admitted. “Which has left me well short, including having nobody to run my AgroMech. And while this is a shot in the dark, I was wondering if you might know how to operate one yourself.”

She paused, clearly running thoughts through her head. “Why do you say that?”

He gave a small smile. “You’re a fighter, that much is obvious. I”m guessing that you also have some, ah, related skills.”

For a moment she tilted her head to one side, as if again listening to her unseen speaker while she considered her response. However, anything she was going to say was cut off by a third figure approaching the table.

This one was far less friendly. Tall and imposing with a shaved head and beard, he was wearing a functional suit, something that made him stand out from the rest of the town. She knew enough to be able to make out the shape of a pistol hidden under the suit, and that he likely wanted her to know of it as well. “And what do you want?” She glowered.

“Mister Stoddard wants to see you,” he simply replied. “I suggest you accept his invitation.”

The woman gave off a brief sigh, then looked to Sam. “Well, I know how this goes,” she simply sighed. “You’ll have to excuse me.” She stood and turned to the newcomer. “Let’s get this over with then.”

They rode out to Stoddard’s house in one of his pickup trucks. While the ride was in complete silence, she took the opportunity to examine the house and its grounds in detail, including the security arrangements. Men with rifles stood at key points around the garden and entrances, arranged around carefully concealed barricades within the grounds. His setup was far more professional than she had anticipated; certainly more than she had expected for a small-town thug.

As she was led inside, she continued her assessment. The interior of the house was more or less what she had anticipated; well decorated and appointed, clean and well maintained and not given to excess. And, of course, far better off than anything in the rest of the town.

She was led through to a study where two figures were waiting. The first was seated; a man who was maybe a few years older than she was, with a lined, rough face. And while seated in his home, he still was clearly alert and ready as if expecting trouble at a moment’s notice. Standing next to him was Dexter Stoddard, who was clearly uncomfortable with her being there judging from the way he was fidgeting.

“Buck Stoddard,” she simply began.

“I am indeed,” Buck nodded. “And it is a pleasure to finally meet you, Ms-”

“So what do you want?” She simply replied. “You didn’t bring me here to kill me, otherwise we wouldn’t be having this conversation now. And since you put me in the hands of somebody more competent then one of your sons, I figure this has to be important.”

Dexter was clearly riled at the comment, but a sideways glance from Dexter saw him back down. That bought a small smile to her face. “I just wanted to talk with you,” he explained. “Have a friendly little conversation, you and me.”

“So talk.”

That bought a chortle to his face. “See, I expected that from you,” he admitted. “I can tell one thing about you already. You’re a soldier, or at least you were one.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Takes one to know one,” Stoddard explained. “I was a mercenary for a number of years myself, before I decided on a change of careers into something more entrepreneurial.”

“Figures,” she accepted.

“You’re a fighter, and I don’t just mean that because of the way you’ve been handling my boys,” Stoddard continued. “I can tell that. You won’t back down, you won’t surrender. You started this fight, and you want to end it on your terms. I can respect that.”

She gave a derisive snort in return. “Ain’t like you have a lot of respect for anyone else around here.”

“And yet, you’re not respecting a proper business man just doing his job.”

“What I saw was a cowardly sack of crap who was stewing in his own inadequacy,” she stated. “Kid needed a lesson.”

“Are you going to-” Dexter spat, only to be cut off again by another glare.

Dexter clenched his fists, but again Stoddard shot him down with a glance. “So then what do you want?” he asked, his tone still calm as his son was fuming in the background.

“I just want to do my business and be left alone,” she finished.

“Well then,” Stoddard sat back in his chair. “You know, I have to admire your guts. You walked in here, you insult my boy to his face in my house and you have never flinched once.” He smiled. “So how about this? Rather than continue to fight, we come to an agreement.”

“You want to buy me off.”

“Consider this a job offer,” he continued. “I could use someone with your skills and drive. I’m willing to make you a very generous offer to come work for me instead.”

The woman paused, looking around the room, her head cocked to one side. “So what, you’d have someone more useful than your boy?” She asked. “Not that it’s hard or nothing.”

“You and Dexter have a history,” Stoddard agreed. “Hell, you coming to work for me could be good for him. Help toughen him up and all that” He shot another angry glare at his son that kept him in his corner.

“It’d take a lot more than more than me to sort him out.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, look at the three of them,” she commented. “You got Jerome there with his bad teeth and worse breath who goes around bothering people’s livestock because he can’t get a girlfriend otherwise. Or Buford, who’s such a fat sack of crap that he gets winded walking in a straight line on a flat floor and hasn’t seen his dick in years. Or maybe you mean your oldest boy here who, despite having all the looks in the family, is so fragile and full of unresolved daddy issues that he has to beat up a waitress for daring to turn him down on a date.”

“Now that’s not a very charitable thing to be saying about a man’s sons.”

“Mister Stoddart, I had two children of my own,” she continued, her gaze fixed on his. “I gave one of them every opportunity in the world. I taught them everything I know. I raised them with every advantage I could provide, and gave them every chance to succeed. And yet they still managed to disappoint me at every single step.”

Despite her words, her tone was more weary than angry. “The second of them spent their entire life being a whiny, entitled little bitch who managed to screw up everything they ever did and went crying to their daddy whenever things got tough,” she noted. “The only thing they didn’t mess up was stabbing me in the back the one time I needed them.”

Stoddart was about to speak, but she held up a hand. “I only say this because after all that, your sons ain’t even worth the dog crap on the undersides of their boots.”

Stoddard sat in stony silence, while Dexter fumed at his side, clearly furious at the insult.

“So no, I’m not interested in your job offer,” she finished, her tone tired.

Stoddard nodded. “It’s your decision, and I know that forcing you to change your mind is not going to work.” He indicated to the guard. “In that case, I want to offer another deal.”

“Go on.”

“You keep out of my business,” Stoddard simply stated. “And I will keep out of yours.”

She gave a small snort. “And by that you mean you’ll take it out on the town.”

Stoddard simply gave a small nod. “My man will see you out.”

He was surprisingly true to his word, with her being driven back to the town in a tense silence. All the while, thoughts ran through her head as she considered all that she had learned so far.

The driver dropped her back at the diner where she had been picked up from. To her surprise, Sam Thompson was still waiting there, having apparently taken the time for a full breakfast. She took a seat with him. “How did things go with your meeting?” He asked.

“I thought about your offer,” she simply replied. “Is it still on the table?”

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2022, 14:47:32 »
I just want you to know I'm  :smitten: her
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2022, 09:19:22 »
Why do I see her in the agromech tap dancing thru his courtyard?
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

KayEmm

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2022, 21:43:20 »
Thompson’s farm was exactly what the Old Woman had expected it to be; a vast expanse of cropland with a few large buildings, and little else. Like so much in the town, what he had was was worn and rusted, clearly neglected and showing signs of economic struggle. Despite all that, there was a clear pride in his presentation of his property.

After the briefest of tours, he led her over to the main equipment shed. Inside it stood the humanoid form of an AgroMech; one arm ending in a harvester, the other in an oversized three-fingered claw. Like everything else, it was dirty and rusted, but at a glance there didn’t seem to be anything wrong with it.

Harvester AgroMech,” she commented. “Standard model. Surprised nobody’s tried to weaponize it yet.”

“When we had the problem with the mercenaries a couple of years ago, I did get some offers,” he admitted, which bought out a small grunt from her. “Nothing came of it, of course. And, given Stoddard and all, I’m kind of glad I didn’t take up any of them.”

“Makes sense,” she nodded. “Is that why he drove off your men, so you’d sell up?”

“Possibly,” he shrugged. “Or maybe he just didn’t like me. Who can say?”

“Hm,” she nodded. “Mind if I take a look?”

“Be my guest,” he replied.

The AgroMech had proven to be easy to get the hang of with a little bit of instruction. Her previous experience as a MechWarrior had transferred well, especially given that the AgroMech was far less complicated and demanding than a BattleMech. With less than a day’s worth of practice, she was out in the field going to work.

That evening had been spent at Thompson’s house over a home-cooked dinner. She’d asked him questions about the town, its people, the area and of course the Stoddard family and their forces. He had been all too happy to supply her with all the information that he could.

In reply, he’d asked her a few questions about where she had come from, what she was doing and what her plans were. She’d given very little back beyond verifying that she was indeed a MechWarrior, but had said nothing as to where she had gotten her training from or what she was doing on the world.

At the end of the day, he had paid her cash in hand, and offered her a spot for the night in his spare room. She had declined and instead settled on a lift back to her motel, with a promise to be picked up in the morning.

Sure enough, he was back there as expected. After a home-cooked breakfast, she went to work, taking the AgroMech out to the fields for the harvest. The work was noisy and somewhat mindless, but at the same time, strangely fulfilling. It was something she hadn’t done before on so many different levels, not just the harvesting, but working like this.

At the end of the day she stepped out of the machine after parking it back in the shed. Again, Thompson had offered her dinner, complete with the same sort of one-sided conversation as they had the previous night. And despite her silence, there was no tension between the pair of them, with their exchange being remarkably easy and free. After they were done, he again dropped her back at the motel.

The pair of them repeated the process the next day, and then again the day after that. The work was simple enough for the most part, but she was growing to enjoy it in her own strange way.

The instant she stepped into her motel room after the third day, she knew something was instantly amiss. It wasn’t something she saw or heard, but rather the smell; rank, sweaty and meaty. Almost immediately she swung around, her fist connecting with a soft, fleshy mass, resulting in a loud gasp of pain.

“Buford,” she sneered.

That was when the other two figures jumped her. Coming at her from behind, they laid into her, before being joined by Buford. It was all that she could do to defend herself; but even then she was surrounded and outnumbered in the dark. As she fell to the floor, she curled up to try to protect herself as best she could from their relentless blows.

After what seemed like an age, they stopped. Dexter spat out some pithy comment about his own strength as he left, taking his brothers with him.

She crawled over to the room’s communicator, managing to punch in Thompson’s number and croaked something out, before she collapsed again.

—--

The next few hours were a blur. By the time she was collected, she was sitting up on a bed, being seen to by a lined, middle-aged man. Introducing himself as the town’s doctor, he began running through the list of injuries she had suffered. Most of it was exactly the sort of things she expected; cuts (with so many stitches), fractured ribs, torn muscles and so on. She basically shrugged most of that off as a common experience for her.

“There was one other thing,” he continued, his voice taking on a more sincere, almost grave tone compared to the shopping list of injuries he had previously gone over. “Something that came up on the medical scans that wasn’t immediately connected to the injuries you suffered.”

“Go on,” she simply replied, her tone suddenly more wary than its previous dismissive air.

“There’s no gentle way to put this,” he admitted. “I noticed some damage to your brain. It looks old, like it’s been there for some time, but it’s also serious.”

“Yeah, I know,” she nodded, then tapped the side of her head. “Feedback from a Gauss Rifle explosion a couple of years back.”

“I see,” he nodded, clearly noting her dismissive tone. “Otherwise, you’re doing remarkably well, all things considered. I want to keep you here overnight for observation, however.”

“Makes sense,” she nodded, then turned to Thompson who had been waiting by the door. “Thanks for helping me out there.”

“It was the decent thing to do,” he replied.

“Something that’s in short supply around here,” she admitted.

He nodded. “Once you’re released, I’ll put you up at my place while you recover. The motel’s obviously not safe for you.”

She tilted her head in thought again. “Sure. Ah, that’d be mighty good of you. Thanks.”

KayEmm

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2022, 00:19:27 »
Last chapter. This has been a lot of fun

-----

Dexter Stoddard’s air of victory and self-congratulation lasted long enough for him to get inside the front door of the family homestead. The first thing he saw once he stepped into the main room of the house was his father sitting at the table, glaring at him. “What the hell have you done, son?” He simply snarled.

“I did what you wouldn’t do, dad,” Dexter shot back, practically spitting out the last word. “I solved our problem while you were sitting up here doing nothing.”

“I know what you did, son,” he continued. “And like everything else in your life, you screwed it up.”

Dexter snapped back a moment before regaining his composure. “What do you mean? I solved our problem. You know, the old hag who has been screwing up everything we do for the last week and a bit? The one that you just let walk around town? Hell, the one that you invited up here for a little talk?” He snapped. “Yeah, her. She won’t bother us again.”

“I know what you did,” Buck continued, his tone low. “I heard all about what happened, and how she ended up in the doctor’s office.”

“Yeah, with the crap kicked out of her,” Dexter continued. “I sent her a message, not you. I stopped her, not you. And she’s not going to even think about crossing us again.”

“You idiot,” Buck snarled. “You left her alive.”

“So?” Dexter shook his head, as if he didn’t understand what Buck was saying. “You don’t get it, dad. We broke her. She’s not going to come back from this. She is going to haul her wrinkly, sad old ass out of town and-”

Buck cut him off by holding up a hand. Dexter was about to continue his tirade, but then he heard something. Distant shouts, followed by the pop of gunfire.

“You stupid, stupid boy,” Buck snarled as he stood.

—--

It wasn’t too long after sunrise that the first people noticed something amiss. Once the word got around, a trickle of gawkers turned into a flood as nearly everyone in Torrens River wanted to see what had happened. It wasn’t like the sight was hard to miss or anything.

The Stoaddard homestead was gone. The building had collapsed in the middle, the result of some massive object simply crashing straight through it, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake. Not only was the house gone, but the grounds had been raised by whatever it was in its passage.

Most of the staff, both in terms of the domestic servants and the hired thugs that guarded the estate, had fled from whatever it was that had happened. There were some injuries, but they were relatively minor by comparison to the devastation that the estate had suffered. The Stoddard family themselves had not been so lucky.

Jerome Stoddard was found crushed to death inside the wreckage of his truck. Buford had apparently tried to make a run for it, only to be run down and literally crushed into the dirt. Buck Stoddard himself had been killed in the collapse of his house, although it was hard to tell if it was the building or whatever it was that had driven through it that had killed him in the end.

At first, nobody could find Dexter’s body, leading to some speculating that he might have escaped. Eventually, a severed arm turned up among the debris that was wearing a ring identified as his. Based on the condition of the limb, the town doctor felt it was a reasonable assumption that Dexter was dead, and that it was unlikely that anyone would find any more of him.

After seeing what had happened, Sam Thompson’s first instinct was to check on his AgroMech. He found it back in its garage where he normally kept it, but there was no doubt that something had happened. Its hull had a number of new dents, specifically ones that looked like they had been made by bullets bouncing off its armor. And he couldn’t help but notice that the harvester arm had been recently hosed down.

The second thing he noticed was that his guest was missing.

He found her at the tavern. Ironically there was nobody else there save for a couple of staff, with the rest of the town busy gawking at (and looting) the ruins of the Stoddard estate. She was in her back corner table, very gingerly sipping her drink.

“You took my AgroMech,” he began as he sat. “And destroyed the Stoddard estate.”

“Yep,” she simply replied, not even trying to hide it.

“And you killed the Stoddards themselves.”

“Yeah.”

“Was that your plan all along?”

She shook her head. “Mister Thompson, I was actually happy with harvesting. I probably could have kept at it for as long as you needed had things not happened otherwise. But after Dexter decided to have his little talk with me, I was done playing nice.”

There was an awkward pause. “I, uh, I’m going to have to, uh,” Thompson began, clearly struggling to find his words.

“Yer gonna fire me,” she replied. “Don’t blame you at all after what I’ve done.”

He nodded. “Yes.”

“It’s fair,” she finished, then sighed and tilted her head to one side, once more listening for that unheard voice. “Good luck, Mister Thompson. I mean it too. Yer probably more likely to find the workers that you need now that there ain’t nobody driving them off.”

“Of course,” he finished as he stood. “I’ll bring your things around.”

“Take care of yourself,” she finished as he left, before sighing again.

The clink of a bottle interrupted her thoughts. Looking up, she could see Susan the waitress standing at her table. “I got you another drink,” she stammered out. “As a way of saying thank you.”

“Sure,” The Old Woman nodded. “Appreciated.”

“You know,” Susan continued. “I never did get your name.”

“That’s for the best,” she simply finished before taking another drink.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 31 January 2022, 14:11:41 »
Dexter Stoddard your stupidity cost you and your family everything...

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2022, 03:05:39 »
Razed not raised.

But otherwise very nice story.

The woman with no name is a very Battletech story.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #17 on: 01 February 2022, 04:03:51 »
Dexter Stoddard your stupidity cost you and your family everything...

Dexter was a very stupid man. Although you can't help but feel that his father ultimately was responsible for his failings
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Register