Author Topic: Age of War datacore  (Read 8996 times)

XaosGorilla

• Sergeant
Re: Age of War datacore
« Reply #30 on: 29 December 2021, 15:01:07 »
  If the data core has accurate information for refining and producing jump cores (for warships), then the data core would be so valuable that everyone would be interested. Further, if accurate “how to” data from mining to refining to construction were included then a periphery state MIGHT be able to improve themselves by adding shipbuilding, then shipping to build up their economy.
  Doing this without a neighboring state or comstar sabotaging that effort would require secrecy, deception and concealment on a massive scale.
  This comes down to what works at your table. 

People or factions would certainly try though…..

MDFification

• Sergeant
  • The Rim Is Not Yet Lost
« Reply #31 on: 31 December 2021, 15:41:17 »
More JumpShip manufactures are something I've always wanted to see, given how... strange it is that you've got Periphery States with no domestic production, no HPGs and no details on whether or not they've got a state-owned fleet at all. The Dark Ages has been pretty good on this, actually - the Outworlds Alliance and Magistracy of Canopus now have domestic JumpShip manufacturing again.

If some datacore made it possible for more Periphery states to have proper shipyards, though, it'd upset the balance of power significantly. Because if they're *not* starved for transport assets, they've got no reason to just start colonizing the empty space beyond their borders - given a few centuries of this, there wouldn't really be a less sophisticated Periphery surrouding a richer Inner Sphere, and more a ring of rich civilizations surrounding an has-been, impoverished warzone.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 31 December 2021, 17:17:38 »
We do have the prototype Jumpship rules available, so you could still have Jumpships being manufactured in the Periphery, but with a range of only 15 ly nobody in the Inner Sphere wants them.  Add in Dropships that would need 13% of their mass per thrust point, while pirates have the 30ly range and 6.5% per thrust point and you can have Periphery powers trying to rebuild, with random & rare attacks from pirates trying to stay alive, but those pirates have better tech.

The equivalent of the old X-Com game where the aliens had the higher tech, faster, and better armed ships

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #33 on: 31 December 2021, 19:32:33 »
Too bad that TPTB have said that KF-boom dropship can't use dropshuttle bays. You could have worked up an interesting dynamic with periphery built primitive jumpships as common haulers.  But having to also have continued production of dropshuttles, or production of primitive JS with proper dropship collars, makes it largely non-viable.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #34 on: 31 December 2021, 21:49:46 »
 :fine_print:

You begin to understand my irritation with the absense of Primitive tech, then.  Welcome to the club.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 01 January 2022, 01:48:02 »

You begin to understand my irritation with the absense of Primitive tech, then.  Welcome to the club.

I've wanted more Primitive Tech for ages. The gaps in tech are irritating. Some of the decisions about tech are also quite frustrating. Fortunately we have House Rules.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 01 January 2022, 12:06:06 »

I've wanted more Primitive Tech for ages. The gaps in tech are irritating. Some of the decisions about tech are also quite frustrating. Fortunately we have House Rules.

And fan projects.  I'm working on one now in my New Clans AU, where the Blakists try to take over the Legacy Cluster.  Lots of drones, primitives, homebrew tech, refits to Blakist designs - even finally managed a great cover.  Hoping to get it out next year.  Not much art, though.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 03 January 2022, 17:29:00 »
And fan projects.  I'm working on one now in my New Clans AU, where the Blakists try to take over the Legacy Cluster.  Lots of drones, primitives, homebrew tech, refits to Blakist designs - even finally managed a great cover.  Hoping to get it out next year.  Not much art, though.

That sounds cool. One of these days I'm going to have to write out my own AU. We'd been working on more accurate anime crossovers but life keeps getting in the way.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 05 January 2022, 00:45:08 »
That sounds cool. One of these days I'm going to have to write out my own AU. We'd been working on more accurate anime crossovers but life keeps getting in the way.

Life.  Can't live with it, can't live without it.   :ticked:

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 05 January 2022, 01:03:27 »

Yeah. And when it smacks you, you can't smack it back.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 05 January 2022, 07:52:43 »

Life: a sexually transmitted disease, invariably fatal
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

MDFification

• Sergeant
  • The Rim Is Not Yet Lost
« Reply #41 on: 10 January 2022, 10:26:21 »
Too bad that TPTB have said that KF-boom dropship can't use dropshuttle bays. You could have worked up an interesting dynamic with periphery built primitive jumpships as common haulers.  But having to also have continued production of dropshuttles, or production of primitive JS with proper dropship collars, makes it largely non-viable.

Is it really non-viable? Sure, it'll be less economically efficient and couldn't compete with modern JumpShips, but if the Terran Alliance could use this tech to settle most of the Inner Sphere, it apparently works well enough that you'd expect this kind of tech to flourish in their absence. And most of the Periphery (and beyond) is so seldom visited by modern JumpShips that ComStar doesn't even bother to put it on their maps...

Plus, if you can build a primitive JS, you've got the industries required to build dropshuttles.

EDIT: Thinking about it, primitive JumpShips like the Aquilla were the tech that built the Taurian Concordate, and they were still being used by Periphery states in a military role as late as the Reunification War due to the limitations of their desire requiring them to have large cargo bays and powerful conventional drives. Essentially, a primitive JumpShip is a poor man's WarShip.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2022, 10:35:12 by MDFification »

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 10 January 2022, 23:33:23 »
I thought Primitive JS could use collars at some point?  At the end of their building options, I think.  Whatever, I'm prepared to say house rule of I must for the sake of my project.

As for the Taurians, ...