Author Topic: Black warrior and arms.of thor colors?  (Read 2410 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Black warrior and arms.of thor colors?
« on: 23 September 2021, 17:29:11 »
Hello all,

I am modelling some stuff onnthe illyrian/lothian/circinian conflicts in tha tcorner of the periphery.

The black warriors are said to use FWL and lyranncolora for.most of their raids. All fair and good  but what colors do they use whennthey are NOT raiding but invading say, the illyrian palatinate or blantleff?

Same for Arms of Thor. Do we have a color scheme? I came up blank looking at my resources camosoecs unit color comoprendium (not official
i know) and sarna here :( A pair of awesomes wand a battlemaster want to know.

snakespinner

• Captain
Re: Black warrior and arms.of thor colors?
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2021, 18:33:18 »
All we ever hear about the Black warriors is that they use false colours when they raid.
Wouldn't a black scheme be appropriate. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2021, 18:37:16 »
Hello all,

I am modelling some stuff onnthe illyrian/lothian/circinian conflicts in tha tcorner of the periphery.

I wrote the Circinus Federation entry in FM: Periphery, which I think is the first and last time that the colors and insignia of the Black Warriors were canonically detailed.

The black warriors are said to use FWL and lyranncolora for.most of their raids. All fair and good  but what colors do they use whennthey are NOT raiding but invading say, the illyrian palatinate or blantleff?

This is an interesting point, as the Federation President misused the Black Warriors for planetary assault against Palatinate, instead of covert, false-flag raids — which were the Warriors’ bread and butter.

The Warriors may still have relied on false flags.  I would have them appropriate the colors and insignia of a Marian Hegemony legion, the traditional enemies of the Palatinate and Lothian League.

Alternately, since this operation was all about the Federation President, the Black Warriors may have been forced to employ a black and grey scheme in a preview of the McIntyre Guard colors that would come along later, along with the Circinus crowned-skull flag and McIntyre House reaping hook insignia.

Or, knowing they were being led by an idiot, the Warriors may have shown up in a desultory fashion whatever motley collection of false flags and colors (Lyran, Marik, Canopian, etc.) they still had from their prior raids.

The colors for the Warriors for this particular operation have never been described, so it’s really up to your imagination.  If you already have a bunch of minis painted up in the colors of your homegrown merc unit, use them.  No reason the Black Warriors can’t imitate a non-canon unit!

Same for Arms of Thor. Do we have a color scheme?

They do not, AFAIK.  They don’t have a descriptive entry in FM: Mercs, its Supplemental, or its Revised version.  The company name and their commanders’ names suggest Scandinavian origin, so you could look to Rasalhagian color schemes.  Or given the use of “Thor”, pick something suitably Norse/Viking.  Red and blue were the expensive, showy colors of the Norse elite, for example.  These folks try to be historically/archaeologically accurate:

http://www.hurstwic.com/history/articles/daily_living/text/clothing.htm
http://www.hurstwic.com/history/articles/manufacturing/text/arms.htm

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 24 September 2021, 00:14:11 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2021, 21:46:00 »
Alternately, since this operation was all about the Federation President, the Black Warriors may have been forced to employ a black and grey scheme in a preview of the McIntyre Guard colors that would come along later, along with the Circinus crowned-skull flag and McIntyre House reaping hook insignia.

My head-canon has now become that the McIntyre Guards scheme (which I love) is an inversion of the Black Warrior's 'parade' scheme - eg. black body, grey limbs. Simple, effective, striking, for those rare occasions they weren't in 'trade dress'.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2021, 00:20:05 »
My head-canon has now become that the McIntyre Guards scheme (which I love) is an inversion of the Black Warrior's 'parade' scheme - eg. black body, grey limbs. Simple, effective, striking, for those rare occasions they weren't in 'trade dress'.

I’ve long thought there should be schemes where the mech’s torso and head disappear into flat black or something similar but the arms and potentially legs are more visible or even flashy to draw fire away from the mech’s core.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2021, 01:09:40 »
Maybe with eyes, fake weapon ports, flashy symbols on the arms to add to the distraction!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Register