Author Topic: (Answered) MASC while prone and standing up from prone?  (Read 1325 times)

Raptor007

• Recruit
    • Raptor007.com
(Answered) MASC while prone and standing up from prone?
« on: 13 January 2022, 23:24:51 »
Are we allowed to declare using MASC (and/or Supercharger) while prone and then use that movement speed to attempt standing up?

Total Warfare p.50:
STANDING UP ('MECHS ONLY)
If a 'Mech begins the Movement Phase prone, it must declare whether it will walk or run before it attempts to stand.

It's not clear to me if "run" here includes the ability to declare MASC or Supercharger use.  The MASC section on p.137 doesn't say anything about prone, and I didn't find anything in the BattleMech Manual that clarified this either, though it does mention MASC as a subset of the Running movement mode which makes me inclined to think MASC use can be declared while prone.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2022, 23:48:10 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: MASC while prone and standing up from prone?
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2022, 23:47:59 »
Per the BMM, "A ’Mech with MASC can activate the system when it declares which movement mode it will use during the Movement Phase."  So yes, you can use it as part of standing up.  The supercharger doesn't have the same wording, but it should.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Raptor007

• Recruit
    • Raptor007.com
Re: (Answered) MASC while prone and standing up from prone?
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2022, 15:17:25 »
Thank you!  That makes sense.  I got caught up on the "declare whether it will walk or run" wording of standing up (TW p.50 and BMM p.19) because I think of MASC as a speed faster than run, but really it's just a special kind of run.

Per BMM p.116 and TacOps p.345, the Supercharger "follows the same rules to operate as MASC, with the following exceptions" and then lists exceptions that do not mention prone nor standing up, so whatever applies to MASC should implicitly apply to Supercharger.