Author Topic: (Answered) Chameleon LPS and Infantry ranges  (Read 1106 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
(Answered) Chameleon LPS and Infantry ranges
« on: 26 January 2022, 17:04:53 »
Page 114 tactical operations advanced equipment:

While the shield is active, the ’Mech is more difficult to attack at long distance. Medium-range attacks receive an additional +1 to-hit modifier, and Long- or Extreme-range attacks receive an additional +2 to-hit modifier. Unlike most other stealth systems, these modifiers apply even if the attacking unit is infantry.

Exactly how is this applied to infantry? As near as I can tell, infantry units don't have clearly defined range bands like standard weapons. The conventional infantry range modifiers table (page 151 tactical operations, just sets a specific to hit modifier for each hex of range based on that weapon's base range, and these modifiers don't even completely correspond to the standard range modifiers.

For example, an infantry weapon with a base range of 4 imposes a +1 modifier at range 5 and a +3 modifier at range 9.

With a base range of 7, you get a +1 modifier at 9 hexes, a +2 at 11 hexes, a +4 at 15 hexes, and a +6 at 18 hexes. Base ranges of 1, 2, and 3 are the only ones that seem to have three discrete range bands that map on to short, medium, and long range, but even then they aren't labeled as such.

So is there something I'm missing?
« Last Edit: 04 February 2022, 14:28:11 by Xotl »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Chameleon LPS and Infantry ranges
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2022, 14:28:06 »
We'll alter the effect so that it increases the infantry's applicable range modifier by 150%.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0