0 (0%)
Nope
14 (93.3%)
Simple "Other"
1 (6.7%)
Long-Winded "Other"
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: CASE'ng Single-Shots  (Read 1572 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
CASE'ng Single-Shots
« on: 03 June 2022, 10:45:07 »
I can never remember if CASE will interact with the various one-shot items in the game, but I keep hearing it's really a doctrinal issue.

Would you rater not mount an A-Pod (or a RL-10) if it's crew needed to be protected from it?
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: CASE'ng Single-Shots
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2022, 10:55:43 »
Which one-shot items are explosive?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2022, 11:06:03 »
Which one-shot items are explosive?

One-shot TSEMP, Coolant Pod, and Chaff Pod, if I remember correctly.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2022, 11:09:18 »
Most of those have fairly limited damage potential. Particularly if they're on a limb, it doesn't really matter all that much; and even the side torsos may be a relatively safe bet if you aren't packing XL or the like. I mean, getting one of those exploding inside of you is going to suck, but if you're losing your surprise weapons and taking internal damage, it's probably time to withdraw anyways.
Now, if you've got the 500kg to spare... go for it I guess.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2022, 12:06:41 »
No point in adding CASE for single-use-explosive things. And CASE is mostly useful when something powerful explodes, 5-10 point explosion isn't that big*. Besides, unless they're in torso locations, you'd need CASE II (1 ton) for IS 'Mechs. Finally, you're likely to use single-shot things quick enough lack of CASE is not a problem, or you're in big enough trouble that single-shot equipment doesn't really matter one way or another.

Gauss Rifles in torsos should get CASE if they're in LFE or SFE 'Mechs as CASE may save the 'Mech from being a total loss should the weapon explode.

*EDIT Was thinking for heavy or assault 'Mechs. For lighter things, it is more problematic but then again, if you get shot bad you're in bad situation anyhow and CASE probably makes no difference.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2022, 12:08:22 by Empyrus »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2022, 23:16:01 »
Not worth it unless there's other explosive stuff there as well.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2022, 09:19:35 »
but I keep hearing it's really a doctrinal issue.

Who says this, and what does it mean?
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2022, 11:35:17 »
Who says this, and what does it mean?
Kurita, for example, believes it's tears are are delicious and nutritious, and will someday, Real Soon Now, allow it to reclaim Dune.

I just don't know enough about Periphery Nations to even guess, but I'd hazard the rest of the Inner Sphere is investing in the training to help it's personal to make it through the first exchange of grazing fire. :popcorn:
Goose

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2022, 12:26:29 »
Kurita, for example, believes it's tears are are delicious and nutritious, and will someday, Real Soon Now, allow it to reclaim Dune.

0% of that sentence makes any sense at all. What do you mean?

but I'd hazard the rest of the Inner Sphere is investing in the training to help it's personal to make it through the first exchange of grazing fire. :popcorn:

Why, and what does that have to do with CASE on one-shot items???

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2022, 12:50:17 »
CASE preserves crews, but costs money (and armor weight); As best as I can remember, there are more then a few realms who'd resort to human waves sooner or later.

For nations whom are willing to spring for body armor, would they also put a CASE on a unit, troop-transport or not, which is solely armed with a one-shot weapon?

I speak Engrish Wright Good™
Goose

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2022, 13:29:50 »
For nations whom are willing to spring for body armor, would they also put a CASE on a unit, troop-transport or not, which is solely armed with a one-shot weapon?

No. Because you make the device safe by using it as prescribed, or worst case, using it to prevent its explosive destruction. Meanwhile you save the tonnage. It's not a cost thing, you're just better off using that weight on actual armor instead.

You'd never on a 'Mech because if you were worried about a MW surviving such an explosion, you'd turn auto-ejection on.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 04 June 2022, 14:37:22 »
CASE preserves crews, but costs money (and armor weight); As best as I can remember, there are more then a few realms who'd resort to human waves sooner or later.

I speak Engrish Wright Good™

I didn't install CASE on my Battletech Claymore

To me, CASE is where you expect the unit to take damage while still with ammunition on board.  If it is a one-shot weapon system, I'd see the player wanting to fire off the one-shot weapon if an enemy is in a good position to get a shot.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #12 on: 04 June 2022, 16:05:45 »
last i checked most weapons don't explode, just their ammo bins. if there's no bin, isn't there no boom?

what is the investment in CASE for here, precisely?
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #13 on: 04 June 2022, 16:59:09 »
last i checked most weapons don't explode, just their ammo bins. if there's no bin, isn't there no boom?

what is the investment in CASE for here, precisely?

Most single-shot weapons are the ammo bin, so on a crit they do typically explode if they haven't been discharged.  But it's usually a small amount.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 04 June 2022, 18:48:12 »
Let's see, B-pods explode for 2 damage, M-pods for 5, Coolant Pods for 10. Only Coolant Pods deal sufficient damage CASE may be actually relevant commonly... for 45 tons or below as those have internal structure of 11 for side torsos. But such designs most likely don't have tonnage to waste for CASE unless they're going to be utilizing that anyway. And i would question wasting tonnage for one-shot equipment in lighter designs anyway, unless they're specifically meant for tasks where such things are highly relevant. Not to mention a critical roll needing to actually cause a critical hit and it landing on the correct slot if there's padding.
Figure bigger 'Mechs can either tank the hits or their greater durability means much higher likelihood of actually using OS equipment before it getting critted.

If a 'Mech has composite internal structure, CASE (or CASE II) may be more useful if OS equipment is carried but spending weight and slot savings from composite for OS equipment in such case is highly dubious.

(In case someone wonders, rocket launchers and OS or iOS missile launchers do not explode if destroyed unfired.)

Way better solution to mitigate explosiveness of OS equipment is to locate them in legs, if locating them in existing CASE'd location is not an option. Legs are usually well armored, partial cover can protect from crits completely, and without floating criticals there aren't many ways to pierce leg armor in the first place.

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 04 June 2022, 20:46:54 »
just shoot the single-shot stuff earlier, or don't get shot at before you deliver that payload.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #16 on: 06 June 2022, 10:01:42 »
Only Coolant Pods deal sufficient damage CASE may be actually relevant commonly... for 45 tons or below as those have internal structure of 11 for side torsos. But such designs most likely don't have tonnage to waste for CASE unless they're going to be utilizing that anyway. And i would question wasting tonnage for one-shot equipment in lighter designs anyway, unless they're specifically meant for tasks where such things are highly relevant. Not to mention a critical roll needing to actually cause a critical hit and it landing on the correct slot if there's padding.

I will use the Supernova 5 . . . when my Supernova gets into effective range and I have good numbers, I am taping the fire button down.

Yes, that is because I want to use up those Coolant Pods so a golden BB does not knick them, but being able to throw 60 damage for those first 6 turns before having to back off to 40 damage can also be decisive.  Would I want to swap out a Coolant Pod for CASE?  No, not all all . . . my Supernova has not even come close to getting one of those Pods hit so it is a risk I am willing to run because I can by choice mitigate it- and the torsos have lots of crits.

It is no the same as a Shadow Hawk with a single SSRM2 and a ton of ammo.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."