Author Topic: Capellan National Holidays?  (Read 1119 times)

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
Capellan National Holidays?
« on: 24 December 2022, 09:24:27 »
Are there any? I've scoured the original House Liao sourcebook, the Handbook, and Sarna. No mention that I could find.

Thanks!

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Capellan National Holidays?
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2023, 09:49:58 »
Are there any? I've scoured the original House Liao sourcebook, the Handbook, and Sarna. No mention that I could find.

Thanks!

Post Xin Sheng, there was a resurgence in older Han celebrations and holidays (Handbook House Liao, p. 62).  So the Lunar New Year is big, and there are canon references to Year of the Rat, Year of the Dog, etc..  I believe there are also references to the autumn Moon Festival being an important observance (during the Xin Sheng war, Capellans used the Moon Festival as the jumping off point for an insurgency campaign in the Tikonov Reaches).

So those two are canon.  Based on the statement that "older Han celebrations/holidays" made a comeback, you could add the Lantern Festival, Tomb Sweeping Festival, Dragon Boat Festival, Night of Sevens Festival, Double Ninth Festival, and Winter Solstice Festival.  But those would be speculative, rather than being specifically mentioned in canon.

Aside from that, most holidays appear to vary widely from planet to planet.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
Re: Capellan National Holidays?
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2023, 00:38:31 »
Post Xin Sheng, there was a resurgence in older Han celebrations and holidays (Handbook House Liao, p. 62).  So the Lunar New Year is big, and there are canon references to Year of the Rat, Year of the Dog, etc..  I believe there are also references to the autumn Moon Festival being an important observance (during the Xin Sheng war, Capellans used the Moon Festival as the jumping off point for an insurgency campaign in the Tikonov Reaches).

So those two are canon.  Based on the statement that "older Han celebrations/holidays" made a comeback, you could add the Lantern Festival, Tomb Sweeping Festival, Dragon Boat Festival, Night of Sevens Festival, Double Ninth Festival, and Winter Solstice Festival.  But those would be speculative, rather than being specifically mentioned in canon.

Aside from that, most holidays appear to vary widely from planet to planet.

Thank you!

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

Register