Author Topic: Tactics and Strategy skill MekHq/MegaMek  (Read 1653 times)

niall78

• Master Sergeant
Tactics and Strategy skill MekHq/MegaMek
« on: 17 June 2023, 19:00:34 »
A quick question. How does levelling in tactics or strategy in an ATB MekHq campaign interact with the MegaMek games?

I thought tactics got you an initiative bonus in MegaMek. Do I need to set something in the options for MekHq or MegaMek to enable this? Is this process automated at all or do I need to manually set bonuses (and commanders?) in the Megamek Lobby?

Ditto with the strategy skill - I thought it allowed re-rolls on the briefing room screen for missions? Again I've not a clue how this works?

I thought these skills would activate automatically if a pilot that had that skill was involved in the upcoming battle in the briefing screen on mekHq. 

Tried numerous searches and reading documentation but I'm just getting more and more confused.  :D

Any help would be great.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
Re: Tactics and Strategy skill MekHq/MegaMek
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2023, 04:14:23 »
Tactics allows for rerolls, and it has to be the officer in charge of the lance that has the skill.
You don't need to do anything to recieve the initiative bonus, but again it has to be the officer.

Strategy allows you to have a bigger company without a penalty on the retirement roll, iirc.

niall78

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2023, 06:06:53 »
Thanks for the quick reply Rince Wind. Is that officer by rank in the lance automatically or is there a set lance commander button I'm missing on the ToE page?

***Edit*** I see the commander of each lance now in the top right of the ToE page when the lance is selected. Looks like it is based on rank and then time-in-rank if ranks are the same - I think it might then go to skill if time-in-rank is also the same. ***Edit End***

On a side-note - is there a way to rearrange your mech/vee order in a lance in the ToE?

« Last Edit: 18 June 2023, 06:39:47 by niall78 »

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2023, 19:41:03 »
In megamek strategy has no real affect, while tactics will increase the initiative roll.

Both skills have different uses in MM when using AtB/Stratcon which are detailed in the file for either.

The main use for standard games or AtB/Stratcon is the usage by the Campaign Operations unit rating. That will use Tactics, Strategy, Leadership, and negotiation skills.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2023, 07:13:55 »

On a side-note - is there a way to rearrange your mech/vee order in a lance in the ToE?

I think the latest addition it always at the bottom?
Not ingame at the moment, but if so you could just readd in the desired order.

Edit: Another important skill that at least I overlooked at the beginning is negotiation for your admins, as it allows you rerolls when accepting a contract.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2023, 10:20:56 by Rince Wind »

niall78

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2023, 12:20:25 »
Thanks again for the help everyone.

I don't seem to be getting any tactics bonus in MM even if my commander has the tactics skill. There is a way to add it manually by configuring the pilot at the launch screen in MM but it should work automatically.

Is there an option I need to tick to implement tactics skill in MM? I've spent ages checking both MM and MekHq menus for such a button.  :D

epic 2.0

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2023, 19:21:17 »
Campaign options>Personnel tab>top left option "use Tactics skill as Commander Initiative bonus". 

If that's not enabled, the skill bonus won't carry over via mul to mm. 

Fun story, the same thing happens if you don't have "use Artillery skill" also clicked on.  I was really, really wondering why all my arty could not hit ANYTHING one game...

Register