Author Topic: Pirates as playable faction?  (Read 1358 times)

dgorsman

• Captain
Pirates as playable faction?
« on: 01 June 2023, 16:45:01 »
Just for a hoot, I've change the Campaign Options => General tab => Faction to "Pirate" in an ongoing 49.12 campaign.  It seems to have trouble generating contracts, even manually.  The log file had a number of mentions of no enemy available (kicking myself for not grabbing a copy before restarting).  As far as I can tell, the ...\data\universe\factionhints.xml file is used to determine opponents for each faction.  It only has one listing for PIR (mnemonic for pirate faction) as an <exception> element, like this:

Code: [Select]
<neutral faction="CS">
   <exceptions>PIR,TD,GV,MV,BoS,MM,WOB,IND</exceptions>
   <exceptions end="3012-01-01">OC</exceptions>
   <exceptions start="3052-05-01">CJF,CW,CGB,CSJ,CSV,CNC,CDS</exceptions>
   <exceptions start="3068-01-21">WOB</exceptions>
</neutral>

As I read that, ComStar is not neutral to pirates, which makes sense.

In order for "Pirate" to be a playable faction, there would need to be several entries added, at least one <rivals> like this:

Code: [Select]
<rivals>
   <parties>PIR,FS</parties>
   <parties>PIR,CC</parties>
   <parties>PIR,FWL</parties>
   <parties>PIR,LA</parties>
   <parties>PIR,DC</parties>
... (most of the other factions)
</rivals>

... and possible a few <alliance> elements, indicating some of the minor pirate-friendly powers such as Circinus and the Tortuga Dominions which are less likely to be in conflict.

Does that look right?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Re: Pirates as playable faction?
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2023, 17:12:36 »
This looks like the making of a pull request...
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2023, 18:53:45 »
There are other issues with playing pirates as well, at least for the CO rating.

As far as using AtB/Stratcon, I don't think either was designed for the user to select pirates as the playable faction. Rarely will pirates get an actual employer other than themselves.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2023, 11:07:34 »
There are other issues with playing pirates as well, at least for the CO rating.

As far as using AtB/Stratcon, I don't think either was designed for the user to select pirates as the playable faction. Rarely will pirates get an actual employer other than themselves.

Which is doable, I think:
  • Most of the 'contracts' would be Object Raid or Extraction Raid types
  • Employer would mostly be 'Pirate' i.e. themselves or in conjunction with other pirates, with some other employers using them as unregistered mercenaries
  • There really should be an option for allied forces as "None"
  • Command rights would almost always be independent, although there may be some 'liaison officer' types when multiple groups coordinating
  • Battle loss and support percentages would be zero, except where they have a non-pirate employer where it will still be
  • Salvage rights would be 100% i.e. take whatever isn't nailed down, which is the goal of most raids, except for non-pirate employers
  • Total payment would reflect selling off various non-military salvage booty, so quite small multiploier compared to normal contracts

It would be nice to have it as an option for when a military force gets curb stomped and doesn't have many other options.  In this specific case it's a group of Smoke Jaguars in the Clan Occupation Zone post-Bulldog - they don't have much other option.  So yohoho, it's off raiding those Inner Sphere barbarians we go.   >:D
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2023, 20:29:17 »
Kinda hard to have anything under total payment when the contract should be all zeroes. I know CO goes into detail on how to handle pirates. Not sure if any of the previous mercenary books did.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2023, 11:58:17 »
So, after some experimenting there's a few other issues at play.  The factionhints.xml file changes, trying both <allies> and <neutral> elements, only produce some warnings in the log file, which I'm suspecting is due to pirates having no explicit systems/territory which seems to be a good part (or start of?) generating opponents.

Might be a thought to pull the 'playable' flag from the Pirate faction in factions.xml until it is.
- The Society

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2023, 19:46:33 »
That would not work though as those who do not play using AtB/Stratcon would no longer be able to play as pirates, which is an official playable faction.