Author Topic: Nova Cat Alpha Galaxy  (Read 661 times)

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Nova Cat Alpha Galaxy
« on: 23 February 2024, 16:26:47 »
I do still paint. Not much since my eyes started going, but on occasion. Starting again after a long break with this mini, and hoping to spur myself to clear commission and responsibilities off my table, so I can never, ever take them again.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Re: Nova Cat Alpha Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2024, 16:27:28 »
Pics are too big to upload in one post, but I can upload them separately just fine.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2024, 16:31:08 »
This is not a hard scheme. The mini is just black Rustoleum primer, highlighted with a couple shades of gray. Brand doesn't matter, it's just gray. The star field is watered down purple and blue paint just slapped on there at random and allowed to dry. Stars are literally just dots of paint. Dip a really tiny brush in paint and dab it on at random. That's it. Picking out the silver was the most tedious part, and I slipped and smeared silver paint onto the black a couple of times. Since it's just black, I simply painted over it. No big deal.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2024, 18:40:08 »
Simple or not, that looks amazing! Great work.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2024, 19:27:56 »
Sweet! :smilie_happy_thumbup:

abou

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2024, 00:22:53 »
I think you've done a really good job highlighting the black while still communicating that it is black. I find that particularly difficult.

Bummer about your eyes though. Anything you can do to compensate?

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2024, 05:45:50 »
Very nicely done! I think you should give yourself more credit.The blues and purples are just right to convey a nebula, which could have ended up looking like blue and purple camo. The cockpit jeweling in beautifully done, and the OSL from the vents is also very well done!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2024, 08:26:42 »
Excellent work!  When my eyes started going, I got glasses.  I need a stronger power for when I'm painting.

Wasteland Warrior

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2024, 10:14:19 »
Sad to hear about your eyes.  Your mini painting has inspired for years. 

And this ... this is just phenomenal. 

Thanks for sharing the formula. This is a scheme I've long wanted to tackle, and you make it sound achievable.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2024, 11:08:42 »
Excellent work!  When my eyes started going, I got glasses.  I need a stronger power for when I'm painting.

Cheap reading glasses work great for me. In general I don't like bifocals, but I might get a pair just for painting when I've got the space to take it up again.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #10 on: 24 February 2024, 14:23:40 »

I have a pair of transition lenses, but they're so badly balanced that they make me dizzy. I only wear them for one specific task I do at work. With my regular glasses, things only come into focus at about 18 inches, and without them, 8 inches. So I have a gap of about ten inches where everything is blurry at all times, and it's the distance at which I hold a mini when painting. I've tried various pairs of reading glasses, but none of them are powerful enough to overcome 20/200 vision. So painting is on its way out as a hobby. :(

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #11 on: 24 February 2024, 21:02:01 »
Great job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2024, 00:23:44 »
Beautiful! Right there with you on the aging eyes problem. Cheap reading glasses are the only way I can continue to do any hobbying anymore. I already had contacts for distance viewing, now I can't see anything up close either.

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2024, 05:45:51 »
Takes lots of experience to convey something this-complex looking as easily as you do :D And the Clan insignia... yeah, cool!
Sorry to hear about your eyes :sad:
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2024, 07:27:53 »
Great work as always  :smilie_happy_thumbup:

I'm also now dealing with losing near vision acuity.  Fighting it with wearing magnifiers or a tabletop magnifier at home.  Will need to find something for work though.  I hope you're able to find something that works for you.

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2024, 13:43:10 »
The minis look great! Very sorry to hear about your vision difficulties. I hope you can find a prescription that works better for you.

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2024, 16:29:00 »
I have a pair of transition lenses, but they're so badly balanced that they make me dizzy. (snip)

I had that exact problem with my transitions and went back to my optometrist to see if anything could be done. It turned out they were sitting too low on my nose. A quick adjustment to the pads and arms and I have found a lot of my problems with them went away immediately. You may be in the same boat.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast