Author Topic: Ventilator III VNT-3  (Read 256 times)

The Littlie Zaku

• Private
Ventilator III VNT-3
« on: 07 March 2024, 07:21:19 »

Ventilator III

Lore

The Ventilator III stands as the Federated Suns first foray into the field of superheavy mech production, with its designers taking a conservative approach, only just breaking into the Superheavy bracket by 5 tons. A direct result of Devlin Stone gifting an Ares to Julian Davion in 3146, the Suns scientists were quick to utilise the mech to collect data on the super heavy concept. Issues with the Ares cost, long logistic train and lack of spare parts lead NAIS researchers to attempt to streamline the mech and take advantage of the Super Heavy chassis in other ways outside of a pure line mech.

Built around two enormous twenty ton Improved Heavy Gauss Rifles, the Ventilator III is considered a very Lyran solution to a Davion problem. Built upon a decade of research the Ventilator is the first mech capable of mounting two heavy Gauss rifles in each arm respectively, and takes advantage of its huge mass to create a stable firing platform even when on the move. Due to the lack of maturity of the superheavy industry in the Inner Sphere the Ventilator III is an almost entirely in house development, with every part, built and designed by General Motors. To save time and money many of its components were taken ‘off the shelf’ with largely only the chassis being custom designed. Its huge 315XL engine actually comes from the much lighter Stealth battlemech, whilst its targeting, tracking are from the AFFS Atlas III. Meanwhile its cockpit was based around an incomplete schematic for an ancient star league design, known as the Ventilator, who had a above average durability that suited the super heavies needs.

Still due to the battle of Terra and the Federated Suns own uncertainty of this new test unit, the Ventilator III’s were stationed on defensive deployments for a full year before accidently seeing combat. Its first notable battle saw the unit’s commander submerge the mech off the coast of his primary command: in hopes of ambushing anyone attempting to approach along the only flat access route being the beach. When a Capellan head hunter unit then did attempt to attack the Davion headquarters, they did so from the sea. The Capellan units emerging from the water were astonished to find the enormous mech amongst them and quickly panicked as the main command mech was shot in the back by the Ventilator III’s dual Heavy Gauss barrage. Bogged down on the shore they had hoped to exit quietly, the Capellan unit was utterly destroyed as none wished to renter the water with the enormous mech.

Weapons and Equipment

Built around the two, twenty ton, Improved Heavy Gauss Rifles, the Ventilator III is unique in its ability to mount both of these enormous weapons in its arms, giving it unparalleled field of fire and the ability to rotate its torso to shoot one of its arms into its rear arc or while on the move. Possessing at least 8 tons of ammo, the heavy gauss ammo is strategically placed around the mech to help pad out its bulky structure. Furthermore, the two-arm mounted heavy gauss rifle are protected by CASE II, which if the weapons are accidently struck, the resulting explosion would only remove the corresponding arm, improving mechs survivability.

Backing up the mech is 4 standard medium lasers, which function as a close-range deterrent with some minor crit seeking potential at shorter ranges, seeking out the holes the Ventilator III can create in its foes. Meanwhile the head has an ER flamer, meant to deter infantry and provide smoke cover by lighting hexes on fire.

Indeed, with its 315XL engine the Ventilator is also able to move itself at a respectable assault mech speed of 54kph, and is armoured as well as a hundred-ton assault mech with its 15.5 tons of heavy ferro armour. Still the mech is easier to hit due to this increased bulk, and while easier to hit then a standard mech, the Ventilator’s main role as a sniper means its supposed to be deployed at long to mid-range taking advantage of its C3 slave system to tie itself into its lance and uses spotters to help mitigate the drawbacks to its super heavy design.

Design Quirks

- Easy to Pilot

- Command Mek

- Barrel Fists

- Fast Reload

- Weak Head Armour (-3)

- Poor Cooling Jackets (Improved Heavy Gauss Rifles)

Code: [Select]
Ventilator III (Custom) VNT-3

Mass: 105 tons
Chassis: Endo Steel Superheavy Biped
Power Plant: 315 XL
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 54 kph
Jump Jets: None
     Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Heavy Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
     4 Medium Laser
     2 Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle
     1 ER Flamer
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3155
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-X-F
Cost: 25,923,275 C-bills

Capabilities
Design Quirks: Multi Trac (2), Barrel fists (2), Fast Reload (1), Command Battlemech (2), Poor cooling jackets (-1 x2), Weak head armour (-3)

Type: Ventilator III (Custom)
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Advanced)
Tonnage: 105
Battle Value: 2,656

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure            Endo Steel           10.5
Engine                        315 XL                 11
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 0
Double Heat Sink              10 [20]                 0
Superheavy Gyro                                       8
Superheavy Cockpit                                    4
Armor Factor (Heavy Ferro)    307                  15.5

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    4         12   
     Center Torso            32        45   
     Center Torso (rear)               15   
     R/L Torso               22      33/34   
     R/L Torso (rear)                  10   
     R/L Arm                 17        34   
     R/L Leg                 22        40   

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm

Weapons
and Ammo                              Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage
Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle Ammo (4)      LL        1        -       1.0   
C3 Computer                              CT        1        -       1.0   
Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle Ammo (8)      CT        2        -       2.0   
2 Medium Laser                           RT        2        3       2.0   
Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle Ammo (4)      RT        1        -       1.0   
Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle Ammo (4)      LA        1        -       1.0   
Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle               LA        11       2       20.0 
CASE II                                  LA        1        -       1.0   
2 Medium Laser                           LT        2        3       2.0   
Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle Ammo (4)      LT        1        -       1.0   
Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle Ammo (4)      RL        1        -       1.0   
ER Flamer                                HD        1        4       1.0   
Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle Ammo (4)      RA        1        -       1.0   
Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle               RA        11       2       20.0 
CASE II                                  RA        1        -       1.0   

Variations

VNT-3A

BV: 2,640

Cost: 25,995,025 C-bills

The original test model for the Ventilator, the 3A featured a TAG in place of the ER flamer, with the hope to use off map support to help enhance and offset the issues of the unit being under run in testing. Still AFFS commanders became annoyed that given the Ventilator’s long range focus the TAG would be next to useless and pushed for an increased focus on anti-infantry capabilities. Still some units have retrofitted their Ventilators to the 3A model, using it to call in artillery when enemies get too close, or helping to direct smoke shells to cover its advance.

VNT-3Fr

BV: 2,261

Cost: 10,681,525 C-bills

A common field refit, the 3Fr is what many Ventilators often get retrofitted into on particularly bloody battlefields. Swapping out the 315XL for a 210 standard engine, the mech lowers its assault mech speed from 54kph to 32.4kph. Principally the mechs Improved Heavy Gauss rifles and 2 medium lasers are swapped out for 2 standard improved heavy gauss rifles and 2 ER medium lasers, while the mech also loses the ER flamer, 1 ton of ammo and 2 medium lasers to install a massive 10 ton targeting computer and a boosted C3 Slave system. While this refit does lower the mechs maximum ammo count from 16 rounds per gauss to 14, the boosted C3 and targeting computer do make this mech more effective in wading into combat and fighting with less support: if at a more leisurely speed.

Lincoln

BV: 3,010

Cost: 26,695,100 C-bills

A former Republic of the Sphere loyalist, and Ares pilot. Lincoln was among a number of Republican soldiers who fled to the Federated Susn following the fall of Terra. Having sided with Julian Davion he leant his expertise to the late NAIS testing of the Ventilator and became well acquainted with the machine. Utilising salvaged republic technology he built his own custom version. First replacing the Heavy Ferro with 19.5 tons of standard armour, he tore out all weapons and C3, though maintained the CASE II. In its place he put in some of the last RISC hyper lasers in the arms, with an impressive 24 double heat sinks to help the mech run cool. He also swapped the standard medium lasers for 4 medium re-engineered lasers split between his side torsos, to fire when he needed to cool off. Moreover, he used a boosted C3 slave while tying all his weapons to a 7 ton targeting computer. Utterly devastating he has racked up an impressive array of clan kills which he engraves onto his mech. He claims to be reserving a spot for Alaric Ward himself.

Notes

So, this mech started out as a meme while making a few super heavy designs. I initially wanted to see if I could make a superheavy at 105 tons: because I found the entire concept of investing only 5 tons into a super heavy to be funny (not super hilarious but I like it.) Colour me surprise that the Ventilator III is actually pretty decent design, though is in no way a super mech.

From combat testing I can say it acts as a pretty good anchor for a lance, and also makes an excellent distraction, as almost everyone I have thought have gunned for it, at the expense of my other units: as those 2 improved gausses are not something you can ignore. While this may sound like a design flaw, I have through good positioning drawn enemies into kill zones at a relatively affordable price of 2656BV: which while not efficient as say a Fafnir, it is as affordable as many Clan Heavies or assaults. It also can torso twist move its arms, and can punch for 11 damage making it somewhat scary in close combat if you invest in the pilot with barrel fists. I have also found the best units to use as spotters are Firestarter Omni D variant, as they can get a decent evasion, and can use their guardian ECM to shield the mech or run ECCM against units trying to break up your C3 network.

As for why I never made it heavier, it largely came down to cost: with prices ballooning out to the 30 million C-Bills, and including C3 masters making it EVEN more of a target. So, while expensive at just under 26 million, that is still within range or a expensive speciality unit.

Also, I have found the Ventilator III makes an excellent anti-superheavy. As it has the ability to rip the head of most mechs, including super heavies, provided they are not using ballistic reinforced or hardened armour, or significantly chew through large chunks of their armour in huge blocks, and at range: making it easier for lighter units to close in for the kill.

Also, the -3 to head armour from the design quirks still gives it 9 points of head armour due to super heavies getting 12. This was thematic to show the lack of experience the Fed Suns had with making super heavies, utilising off the shelf components like the cockpit of the extinct Ventilator. And yes, this is a homage to the Battle Technology custom mech, the Ventilator, with the idea coming from the art which Bishop Steiner made for it: the original even used to have a TAG in the head.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
Re: Ventilator III VNT-3
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2024, 09:27:04 »
You might consider an IHG+LTAC variant.  The AE damage of the LTAC complements the hole punching of the IHG and makes good use of the heat sinks in the same range bands. 

I think you can get a similar cost/tonnage profile at 115 tons using a light engine.

The Littlie Zaku

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2024, 13:30:24 »
Another friend had a idea for a variant like that and I forgot to include it. It is a potent design and a lot cheaper making it quite scary.

Also the variant I got for a light fusion version was more 120 tons, however I mainly wanted to keep it in the low ballpark for the super heavy design initally as a meme, but now because I have lore of it using the very specific 315XL engine. However you are completely correct I could make this more efficiently: however the price goes up to closer to 30 million than I like.

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2024, 21:27:59 »
That is a very Lyran build for a Davion mech. I also l8ve the name as an homage to the Ventilator assault mech from Battletechnolgy all those years ago. I approve

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2024, 21:34:36 »
Too small for a Lyran superheavy.  Those start at 150 tons minimum.

The Littlie Zaku

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2024, 17:21:20 »
Yeah, Lyran super heavy

150 tons at minimum... also this gives me ideas ^^

And thank you for the compliments.

Register