Author Topic: Dark Age/ IlClan Trooper Orion  (Read 157 times)

Isokrates

• Warrant Officer
  • Dare to love the LGR.
Dark Age/ IlClan Trooper Orion
« on: 23 May 2024, 14:25:23 »
"Kalidasa is back in League hands". Bitterly fought over and wrenched from the wolves jaws Kalidasa and its mech production facilities are back under FWL control. Eager to put the production facilities back on line and with dire needs for new equipment the FWL government pressed for the production of sturdy mechs that could be produced if possible in large numbers to fill the ranks of the FWLM formations. The venerable Orion holds a special place both in the hearts of Clan Wolf, as with the FWL being the steed of one General Alexander Kerensky, as also a mainstay of the League military in the succession wars. As bot a gesture of spite against the former wolf occupiers and a symbol of league defiance and tenacity against all ods Kali Yama produced the ON9-M. A design with its roots in the original ON1-K Kerensky variant the new ON9-M uses an ERPPC and a gauss rifle for a long range ballistic punch. Two x-pulse lasers in the arms can engage any targets up close with accuracy. A single medium laser in the head complements the short range energy weaponry. A single MML-5 launcher adds versatility to the weapons mix with both short and long range offencive capabilities. half a ton short of the maximum possible armor mass offers excellent protection to the standard fusion engine mech. All explosive ammunition and equippment can is located under CASE II blow out panels. Though the machine fields a cheap and durable motive system the designers had to resort to an XL Gyro in order to save some weight. Costing only 8.466.375 C-Bills the mech is relatively cheap, especially when compared to mixed tech or XL engine equipped units.

Code: [Select]
Orion ON9-M

Mass: 75 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Dark Ages
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-F-E
Production Year: 3132
Dry Cost: 8.369.375 C-Bills
Total Cost: 8.466.375 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1.931

Chassis: Endo-Steel
Power Plant: 300 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43,2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64,8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
    1  Gauss Rifle
    1  ER PPC
    2  Medium X-Pulse Lasers
    1  Medium Laser
    1  MML-5
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                   114 points                4,00
    Internal Locations: 6 LT, 2 LA, 2 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine:             Fusion Engine                300                      19,00
    Walking MP: 4
    Running MP: 6
    Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks:         Double Heat Sink             10(20)                    0,00
Gyro:               XL                                                     1,50
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3,00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA    R: SH+UA
Armor:              Ferro-Fibrous                AV - 223                 12,50
    Armor Locations: 7 LA, 7 RA
    CASE II Locations: 1 RT                                                1,00

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     23           35       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  11       
                                           L/R Torso     16           25       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  7         
                                             L/R Arm     12           24       
                                             L/R Leg     16           28       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medium X-Pulse Laser                         RA        6         1         2,00
Medium X-Pulse Laser                         LA        6         1         2,00
Gauss Rifle                                  RT        1         7        15,00
MML-5                                        LT        3         3         3,00
ER PPC                                       LT        15        3         7,00
Medium Laser                                 HD        3         1         1,00
@Gauss Rifle (16)                            RT        -         2         2,00
@MML-5 (SRM) (20)                            RT        -         1         1,00
@MML-5 (LRM) (24)                            RT        -         1         1,00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      7    Points: 19
4          3       3       2       0      3     2   Structure:  6
Special Abilities: CASEII, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

DevianID

• Captain
Re: Dark Age/ IlClan Trooper Orion
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2024, 05:38:43 »
It's not bad, but at almost 2k BV I'm not super sold over the more traditional 2-m with 3 mpulse, gauss, lrm15.  The bracket of 2 xpulse+ medium laser, versus ERPPC, both 15 of the 20 heat, is driving up the BV and cutting your ER PPC out of the firing solution, but at point blank the ER PPC is still an accurate weapon that doesnt need to bracket.

I know the OG Orion had heat issues, but as soon as they put doubles on orions they all solved their heat problems.

There is the 3143 C2 Clan mixed tech Orion at 2k BV that your design is competing against for late era Orions in production.  It has a wierd mix of weapons, but its a superb lomg ranged trooper with ERLRMs and an ER large laser+large pulse laser.  It has heat issues too, but the ERLRM15 can't be shot close in, so it has better bracketing fire ranges despite losing the headcappers.  But those clan weapons are likely dealbreakers, so I understand the appeal for a lower tech solution you are going for here.

Isokrates

• Warrant Officer
  • Dare to love the LGR.
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2024, 15:50:53 »
The bracket of 2 xpulse+ medium laser, versus ERPPC, both 15 of the 20 heat, is driving up the BV and cutting your ER PPC out of the firing solution, but at point blank the ER PPC is still an accurate weapon that doesnt need to bracket.

the medium x-pulase lasers are there for accuracy at either side of the mech, plus you get a wider firing arc either side. better for dealing with fast movers and jumpers. You get more firepower with the lasers up close than with the ERPPC.

There is the 3143 C2 Clan mixed tech Orion at 2k BV that your design is competing against for late era Orions in production.  It has a wierd mix of weapons, but its a superb lomg ranged trooper with ERLRMs and an ER large laser+large pulse laser.  It has heat issues too, but the ERLRM15 can't be shot close in, so it has better bracketing fire ranges despite losing the headcappers.  But those clan weapons are likely dealbreakers, so I understand the appeal for a lower tech solution you are going for here.
1. I donĀ“t use clan filth unless there is no other way that I can get the benefit I need (tonnage, crits, range.) look at the Juliano. IS ERMLs and clan streak SRM-6 with identical range.
2. Headcappers at range are headcappers at range

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2024, 19:48:38 »
It's not bad, but at almost 2k BV I'm not super sold over the more traditional 2-m with 3 mpulse, gauss, lrm15. 
This is exactly what I was thinking.
I'm not sold that I would use this over the 3050's tech 2M.

I think I might have dropped the MML all together here & just have the ERPPC as a bit of a nod to the V/VA? model that dropped the LRMs.
Then stacked on added DHS so you can Alpha Strike.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register