Author Topic: Company level C3 Network  (Read 433 times)

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
Company level C3 Network
« on: 23 July 2024, 01:41:27 »
I need some clarification on the C3 network running on a company level. I think I understand the concept of it for the most part... A master C3 connects up to three other masters, and those three masters connect to three slaves each.

So how the heck does the dual C3 Master setup on the Cyclops work?

I don't understand the point of it. Please make it make sense

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
Re: Company level C3 Network
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2024, 02:20:53 »
Points are;
-A C3 master computer can control either up to 3 slaves or up to 3 masters, but not both.
-A C3 network cannot include more than 12 units, regardless of the numbers of computers on it.
-A unit can use as much masters on it, while cannot use more than one slave one it.

Therefore it is possible;
-Two masters can hold three slaves each, one master can hold two slaves, then finally one master can hold three masters mentioned earlier, making total 12 units of company level control with 4 masters and 8 slaves.
-Two masters can hold three slaves each, and one unit with two masters can use one to hold three slaves, while the other master can hold two masters mentioned earlier as well as the another master the same unit has, making total 12 units of company level control with 2 masters, 9 slaves and 1 twin master unit.

So that's my understanding of the diagram in TW. In short, it's not so efficient choice for tonnage wise for you need four masters anyways and even needs for one more slave on the company, but you need one less unit with bears a master therefore one more unit is risk free from sustain the network, and you need to hide less numbers of master units to protect.

Daryk

• Major General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2024, 03:42:53 »
Basically, a twin Master unit has one for its Lance, and the other for the Company.  As PLLP says, it's a little more robust network with one.

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2024, 11:31:44 »
Thanks all who answered. I just found it in TWF (page 133 for those keeping score) and the diagrams helped a lot. In a standard 1 master set up, you would need to masters in your command lance. The downside to a single unit carrying dual masters is if that unit is destroyed, the entire network comes down.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2024, 11:47:06 »
Well still you have two individual masters, each have a lance level network. And susceptible against the assassination is the well known problem of C3 network, after all.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2024, 22:05:59 »
I always feel like if you are going to put C3 on the table, you need to be able to have the ECCM rules in play.

Look at Boosted C3 yet?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2024, 07:42:26 »
I agree with Cold you need ECCM in play . 3 discreet C3 lances in formation is better than a company as it requires too much wasted tonnage