Author Topic: Talk to me about...Reseen Marauders  (Read 3754 times)

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
Talk to me about...Reseen Marauders
« on: 08 September 2013, 23:45:39 »
The Marauder is one of those classics of Battletech, found everywhere, beloved by just about anyone who can get ahold of one. But while much has been made of the older Marauder variants, I don't recall as much discussion regarding the models that debuted after the Vicore redesign.

So...what are your thoughts regarding the reseen Marauders? To clarify, I'm talking about the 75-tonners only, no MAD IIs or MAD IICs, or battlesuits for that matter. None of the ones that date from TROs 3025/39 or 3050, or more recent models that date to those earlier points in the timeline. What are your thoughts or experiences regarding the MADs-5L, -5R, -5T, -6L, -7D, -9M, -9M2, -9S, -9W, OR -9W2?

Note: I'm only asking for comments regarding the abilities of these Marauders. Anyone wants to talk about Unseen vs Reseen appearances, go find your own thread.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Kamose

• Lieutenant
  • In the end, there can be only one...
Re: Talk to me about...Reseen Marauders
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2013, 00:11:22 »
If I may piggyback onto your thread, Weirdo, could somebody include how many/which miniatures of this are now out there?  With Unseen, Redeem, Clan, the II model and all of the old is the new new refits, I've totally lost track of what is going on with this Mech.
Thanks,
Kamose

Raggedy_Man

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2013, 00:36:13 »
I like many of the reseen variants.  They tend to have good ground speed and rely on paired long-range energy weapons with some backup ballistic weapon in most cases.  The designs are all very solid, building on the design philosophy of the original Marauders, often with greatly improved armor protection and secondary electronics (Beagle, ECM, targeting computers) and the occasional jump jets for added maneuverability.  These are all solid weapons platforms which manage to evoke that old Succession Wars-era fiction feeling of, "Holy crap it's a Marauder!" 

Of all of these, I like fielding the -5R and the -9S.  They both have some similarities: they can savage an enemy at long range with their paired PPCs as they close, then use their ballistic weapon for crit-seeking.

The -9S has a bit more heat management to bring into play, and has a bit of a retro feel--if you want to fire and advance, you're going to need to alternate the PPCs unless you want to slow down quickly ... and you're going to want to keep pace with your unit, 'cause you're carrying an ECM umbrella.  The Beagle Probe is great for spotting hidden units, especially in cities.  This is a great variant if you're trying to kick those pesky Blakists out of Tharkad City.  1 ton each of LBX ammo allows you to do good damage at range (though not as long a range as the PPC), and once you close you can switch to the shotgun ammo.   A light engine allows you to live to fight another day if you can manage to flee.

The -5R is my favorite of the reseen variants, though I have a love-hate relationship with it.  Again, it's carrying ECM protection for your force.  Twin ER PPCs give great long range damage, and it has the heat sinks to run and fire both, with even a 2-shot burst from the RAC if you're feeling lucky.  The RAC/5 is great for critting already-damaged enemies, or even seeking a lucky torso crit.  This hits the sweet spot for me because it has near-maximum armor protection, good speed and heat dissipation.  I like to close to medium or short RAC range and alternate between using both PPCs and a RAC burst, and then a single PPC, both medium lasers, and a RAC burst.  The only drawback for me is the relative lack of RAC ammo ... but I rarely run out, because I frequently jam the autocannon.  As much as I love this variant, this is my bad luck 'mech--I almost always jam my autocannon after only a couple of rounds of firing, and I can't often afford to miss a turn of firing to unjam it.  I've jammed the AC on this 'mech much more frequently than when using my Hammerhands HMH-6D with both RACs on full blast.

I haven't had the chance to field  the  -7D, and that's mostly due to my prejudice against the IS ER Large Laser--it's incredibly heat-inefficient without the range or damage of an ER PPC.  I'm also not familiar with the -5T, because I tend to not care for TC-equipped pulse laser boats, but that's a personal preference.

I have never fielded the -6L or the -5L, though I do like TSM-equipped energy boats.  When I've faced the -5L, it's been very effective at outmaneuvering me--I don't want that thing getting close enough to kick the legs out from any of my 'mechs--and when the TSM is operating, it will hobble or even cripple a 'mech of at least its own weight.

I haven't had any experience with the -9M.  The -9M2 is a beast that can run and fire both headcapping Heavy PPCs without overheating, and when it gets close enough, it can still savage with one HPPC and fire up to 12 crit-seeking SRMS at all the holes it's blasted in your armor.

As for the WoB variants, I hate facing the -9W and -9W2; a strike with all 3 primary weapons can ruin your day fast, while only barely slowing the machine down, and with 5 improved Jump Jets, slow walking speed is not going to hinder this 'mech for a couple of rounds.  I'd place it in a medium urban area (to help take advantage of the decent range without being too boxed in) or in any of the rolling hills maps, and let it jump out of cover, pound the enemy until heat becomes a real issue, then jump back to safety for a round of cooling off.   If you're facing the former, it can use its superior mobility to bring its C3i in range and call down all kinds of accurate long-range fire from its buddies; the latter variant is a highly mobile, well-armored ECM-carrier as well. 

In short, the vast majority of these variants are either fun to play, or hell to fight against.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2013, 03:56:13 »
Got a question that's peripherally related to the topic, if the Clan version of the Marauder is the Marauder IIC, what's the clan version of the Marauder II? You know, the 100 ton version?

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2013, 04:07:13 »
Marauder II "C"

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2013, 06:48:16 »
The Marauder is one of those classics of Battletech, found everywhere, beloved by just about anyone who can get ahold of one. But while much has been made of the older Marauder variants, I don't recall as much discussion regarding the models that debuted after the Vicore redesign.

So...what are your thoughts regarding the reseen Marauders? To clarify, I'm talking about the 75-tonners only, no MAD IIs or MAD IICs, or battlesuits for that matter. None of the ones that date from TROs 3025/39 or 3050, or more recent models that date to those earlier points in the timeline. What are your thoughts or experiences regarding the MADs-5L, -5R, -5T, -6L, -7D, -9M, -9M2, -9S, -9W, OR -9W2?

Note: I'm only asking for comments regarding the abilities of these Marauders. Anyone wants to talk about Unseen vs Reseen appearances, go find your own thread.
Here goes:
-5L Since most of the MAD series run hot, adding in TSM was a nice touch for those times when you do run hot. Which the Stealth Armor will do. I would have liked a second ERPPC, since the ERLLs aren't long enough ranged for my liking. But it does have an SFE, the two L models are the only ones that do. Kind of a mixed bag overall.

-5R One of my favorites, ERPPCs, RAC5, C3S, heat sinks to use it, what's not to like?

-5T More of a brawler, this one is great, if you can keep the ranges short. When your RAC5 is your long range gun, you need lots of cover. But up close, twin LPLs, twin MPLs, and a TC are great. This would work as a bodyguard or in urban areas.

-6L I like this one better than the -5L, the twin Plasma Rifles with a standard PPC backup make for nice easy weapon grouping. The Stealth Armor & TSM combo is still a nice pairing. This one needs mid ranges to fight (10-18 hexes) but it's gonna be a pain in the butt when it's there.

-7D Kinda like the little brother to the -5R, it trades the ERPPCs & C3S for ERLLs and a TC. This one basically comes down to personal preference between the two models, but I prefer the extra range of the -5R.

-9M Without a dorsal gun (or RT gun since we're talking reseens) this is probably one of the most distinctive looking of the MADs. With quad ERLLs, but only the dhs to handle two of them (it can almost handle a third) this one is an exercise in heat management. The twin SSRM6 are nice, but I mostly see them being used when trying to cool off.

-9M2 I'm pretty sure the only changes between this and the previous version are a swap of the quad ERLLs for dual HPPCs. In my opinion this is an upgrade all around. You lose 1 hex of max range, but you become more heat efficient. The overall damage goes down 1 point per arm, but it gets grouped into one 15 point shot instead of two 8 point ones. And instead of being 24 heat per arm, it's only 15. This means you can fire both arms without overheating.

-9S Pretty much exactly what a Marauder with non-intro tech should be. The only change I would make is dropping the ECM and some armor to add two more DHS.

-9W & -9W2 Essentially the same machine, the -9W has a C3i which the -9W2 trades for a Guardian ECM and C3S. The 5 jump gives it the best movement modifier of the group and rivals the stealth armored ones for best defensive modifier. Just to go with the new-tech fever, I would have preferred SNPPCs all around instead of ERLLs & a single SNPPC. But overall a very good brawler.

-9W2
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2013, 14:26:25 »
Big fan of the 5R myself. ECM, c3s, and the classic dual PPC / medium lasers with a RAC5 thrown in for crits and drama. I normally pair it with a Warhammer or Thunderbolt and it always performs for me.

It may be a little munchy, but if they gave the 5R the same treatment they gave the Black Knight in TRO:FS (LFE and Clantech energy weapons) it would be an unholy terror. As is, the XL engine gives it the Achilles heel a powerful machine should have to keep it interesting. 

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2013, 17:09:26 »
When PP first hit, I used the 7D, 5T, and 5R a lot with success, then migrated over the 9M when playing Mariks or Wobblies.  It's inefficient, but can be annoying to the other side as I tend to run it as a 'mech i don't care too much about losing.  The 9M2 became the contender for not-nice things and is a center piece for some Marik units I have.  I never messed with Liao variants though.  Never cared for them i guess.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2013, 10:46:47 »
I've used the -5M and -5S in tandem on a few occasions and was very pleased with the results. As a RAC aficionado, I also appreciate what the -5R brings to the table.  I used the -9M2 in a recent campaign and it was an unholy terror.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2013, 20:10:30 »
I basically am a clan player, it's not a munch thing so much as a fluff thing.

But, that said, I'm a huge Thug fan... and the 9M2 is a better Thug.  The PPC/SRM combo is good in all forms and the dual HPPC SRM6 combo on the 9M2 is about as good as it gets in the IS.  It helps that it has decent maneuverability and solid armor. 

To the patient go the spoils

Isokrates

• Warrant Officer
  • Dare to love the LGR.
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2013, 05:02:54 »
The -9M2 makes for one hell of a combo for the Regulan player. Combined with the Anvil and the Patriot you have Tag  aplenty, basically a net of TAG. With some heavy  LRM launcher platform added there isnt much more one would need

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2013, 17:17:50 »
Always been a big fan of the Marauder, though I haven't played with a lot of the new models except the two Davion RAC-ers. I do have to say though, the 9M2 is a nightmare. I don't like the FWL, but they do make some good designs from time to time, and this is definitely one of them.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2013, 18:21:28 »
From another thread I've heard that the ONN section of TRO 3145 has a new Davion Marauder with Re-Lasers. Looking forward to giving it a whirl against my buddies new fav, the Hitotsume Kozo!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2013, 08:17:43 »
I've always been a fan of the marauder. When PP came out I NEARLY shed a tear. Both for how ugly the mech was and that they brought back a loved design, and didn't screw it up!

I had a lot of fun with the RAC marauders, still do when given a chance... but the 9M2... [drool] . I love that thing!

Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

iampoch

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2013, 17:28:40 »
RS 3145 NTNU gave us the best Marauder. A Clan ER LL + Medium X-Pulse in each arm, another Medium X-Pulse in the head, a SB Gauss to crit-seek, and a RHS to help you alpha often!

Register