Author Topic: Compact Engines on Aerospace Fighters?  (Read 4507 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Compact Engines on Aerospace Fighters?
« on: 15 June 2012, 12:48:04 »
I was reading TM yesterday and I noticed that Aero Fighters can use compact engines but as far as I can tell it doesn't mean anything other than take up a bunch of spare tonnage you might not need (yeah right). Am I missing something?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Re: Compact Engines on Aerospace Fighters?
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2012, 13:06:31 »
Nope: It's a joke.
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2012, 15:55:54 »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2012, 17:05:13 »
Primitive tech?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2012, 17:15:32 »
No.  Primitive ASF engines aren't any more compact, they're just less efficient.

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2012, 18:57:15 »
No.  Primitive ASF engines aren't any more compact, they're just less efficient.

I mean that for all intents and purposes, since compact engines are just heavier (i.e. less efficient), they can be used to represent primitive engines.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2012, 00:36:33 »
It's essentially just the flip side of aerospace fighters being able to use light and XL engines "for free" as well. (Yes, yes, C-bill cost. While that certainly gets a lot of lip service, for tabletop purposes it's pure fluff.) Don't lose too much sleep over it, I suppose. :)

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2012, 14:44:42 »
Couldn't you just say a Compact Engine gives you some extra item slots? That's what it's for after all.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2012, 19:21:12 »
Couldn't you just say a Compact Engine gives you some extra item slots? That's what it's for after all.
  You could, but it'd be a house rule.  As TM rules stand, LFEs and XLFEs don't take up any item slots on ASFs, so there's no justification for CFEs to free them up.  [shrug]

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2012, 15:08:03 »
  You could, but it'd be a house rule.  As TM rules stand, LFEs and XLFEs don't take up any item slots on ASFs, so there's no justification for CFEs to free them up.  [shrug]

What about XXL... :)

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2012, 20:07:31 »
What about XXL... :)
  Nope: nor them, AFAIK.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2012, 00:35:12 »
Interestingly, while TechManual states that none of the permitted engines take up internal space (at least as far as the ability to mount weapons in any arc goes), the Advanced Engine Master Table in TacOps (p. 308) does have an explicit "Vehicle/Fighter" column for this purpose, of which the "Fighter" portion of the header (there's only one number in each row below it, which would presumably apply to both vees and fighters) has to my knowledge not yet been errataed away...and it explicitly lists compact, light, and XL engines as well as the more TacOps-related ones.

So it currently looks like an Inner Sphere XL engine takes up no slots in a fighter under standard construction rules, but two (either in the rear or split between the wings, the wording of the footnote below the table is unclear) as soon as TacOps comes into play... ???

(No extra slots for compact engines either way, though. Sorry.)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2012, 11:59:17 »
Could using Compact Engines reduce the chance of an engine hit?

I know, this isn't how it currently works, but it would be a nice bonus.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2012, 20:47:10 »
Go check TactOps … 8)
Goose

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2012, 23:59:55 »
Go check TactOps … 8)
  I did say under TM rules; I wasn't looking beyond the Tournament-level rules at that point. ;)   That said, that's a nice catch by A. Lurker and yourself.  I'm almost tempted to suggest to TPTBs that they look into moving those rules down to Tech Manual when/if ever it gets revised again, so there's greater consistency between ASFs, CVs, and 'Mechs....

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 29 June 2012, 04:57:34 »
This just in -- the most recently released TacOps errata (v 3.02) says to delete the compact, light, and XL (both versions) rows from the table. So any slot requirements are only for what's left -- including all Large and XXL engines. I really could've caught that sooner...

Still isn't clear on how those slots are supposed to be distributed, mind. An Inner Sphere XXL engine for example supposedly takes up four slots on a fighter in the rear "with any extras divided evenly among the side wings". So what sort split should that be in this case? All four in the rear? Two in each wing? Two in the rear, one in each wing? Rulebook Doesn't Say, really.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #16 on: 30 June 2012, 18:56:42 »
This just in -- the most recently released TacOps errata (v 3.02) says to delete the compact, light, and XL (both versions) rows from the table.
What …
Goose

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 01 July 2012, 00:22:23 »
What …

Quote from: Tactical Operations v3.02 2012-04-26.pdf
* Advanced Engine Master Table (p. 308)
Delete the “Compact Fusion”, “Light Fusion”, “XL Fusion (IS)” and “XL Fusion (Clan)” rows from the table.

That.