Author Topic: Talk to me about the Warhawk/Masakari  (Read 4293 times)

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
Talk to me about the Warhawk/Masakari
« on: 05 May 2011, 20:35:10 »
I've started playing a bit more lately, and I've even been playing the Clans on occasion (shh, don't tell my friends). I've been looking over my options and of course the Timberwolf and Stormcrow are shining examples of the benefits of clantech, but I just can't fall in love with the Warhawk the same way. The mass, clan XLFE and movement profile mark it as a mech I should love, but the choice of FF over endosteel, the ridiculous number of fixed DHS, and limited crits drive me crazy. The configurations could be better too. It seems like a mech that was nerfed on purpose because its potential against IS opponents was too terrifying.

So what do you think?

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
Re: Talk to me about the Warhawk/Masakari
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2011, 20:59:54 »
Honestly, nearly everything pales a little when put next to the Stormcrow(IMO the best mech in the game, ton for ton) and the Timby.  I field the Warhawk as often as I can.  I like it, and while I wouldn't mind the extra tonnage from endo over ferro, it doesn't hurt it a great deal. 

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2011, 21:07:39 »
As someone who has been beaten severely by this mech and now look forward to obtaining one soon. 

I've been told that this mech is boring, but there is nothing boring about a mech that wins.  It is the Clan equivalent of the Awesome but only awesomer(?).  The Warhawk is one of those mechs that accumulates kills fast.  There is nothing wrong with a decently sinked, 85 ton Omni ERPPC boat with a TarComp.

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2011, 00:12:06 »
I always swap out the LRM10 for extra heat sinks on the Prime to give me a little boost on cycling the weapons. Great piece of equipment. Would have been illegal with endo instead of ferro.
May no one ever know less then me......

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2011, 00:41:44 »
Its hard to define the Warhawk.  It just is what it is, in many ways.  Some mechs, like the Bain 3 or Hellstar, are just numbers mechs, the Warhawk is in many ways a feel mech.

One big upshot in any veriant is the 'fixed' TC (since TCs are veriable size, it can't really actualy be fixed under the rules as I understand them, so technicaly you can build a legal Warhawk with no TC, but its in the fluff, and no one who's sensable ever ignores it because TCs are awesome) and all the fixed sinks.  It gives the Warhawk a cherictor as a long ranged mech, much like fixed JJs give mechs like the Summoner and Nova a bit of cherictor.  Add to that the Warhawk tends to take advantage of that TC with ranged guns (the problematic B is a notable exception) and again, you start to get a feel for the mech as a whole that defies its omni nature.  Some more modern omnis try to be all things, which on paper is the idea of an omni mech (the Periah is a good example, or the recently talked about Flamberge) but it makes it hard to talk about the mech as one thing or another.  The Warhawk tends not to be like that.  The Prime, A, C, D, all play very similarly, and the B, E and H are only about a half a step difrent.  There's no real outlier veriant there.

Honestly the C is probably the most used, even if the Prime is the most known and talked about.  No one really, when they're honest, wants to work that heat (I don't mind it, but only in fun games, not really competitive ones).  The C largely solves that, and adds accuracy to the moon.  The A gives up power and mixes the ranges up, but its a lot less BV and so wins for value, with the D being a nice evolution of it. 

Thouse veriants are probably the mech's biggest up shot.  A Dire Wolf with two PPCs, two LPLs and a TC would be almost too much to contemplate, and look how people speak about the Hellstar.  But the Warhawk pulls it off just fine, thank you, and as a resualt its looked on as a match for thouse mechs, a legitimate alternitive to the very best assualt mechs, despite on paper looking like something of a runner up.

"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2011, 14:29:51 »
I think the A and the C are both super solid.  The C for really good damage output, and the A for critseeking goodness at all ranges.

MarauderCH

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2011, 19:51:25 »
How can you not like the Prime? Sure, it has it's issues, but I think it was designed that way so it wouldn't be the perfect mech. Using it properly makes you use your head though because you have to know heat management! But this mechs is a head capping buzzsaw! It will head cap mechs!

I am also rather fond of the A and D configs. I wish the A had more LRM ammo though. Both are long range brawlers that have a short range bite, too. I am an ER LL fan, too, and since both variants mount two, I was destined to like these variants.

The C config is good, too, but I'm not too fond of using pulse lasers and TCs. It seems like a cheap tactic to me to use when you are supposed to be using the best mechwarriors in the galaxy already...

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2011, 15:14:23 »
I'm actually more fond of A than Prime or C.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Register