Author Topic: Kanga engine swap  (Read 5801 times)

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to 'Mech House!
Kanga engine swap
« on: 28 January 2011, 14:58:36 »
I'm just curious to see how hard/expensive it would be, if even possible, to switch out the Kanga's internal combustion engine with a lighter fusion model?  I know it's got the thrust bottles for the jets, but couldn't they, and the feeds, be switched out with standard JJ models?  Would it cause the special computer to have an algorithmic aneurism?  I don't intend to add anything crazy, like a turret.   
Save the Humans.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Kanga engine swap
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2011, 15:11:58 »
I think that thing's just so idiosyncratic that you couldn't do anything more than give it special ammo without the computer flaking out and crashing spectacularly.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2011, 15:16:22 »
I would be more prone to using a fuel cell engine, replace the AC 5 with a LAC, and try to upgrade both Missile Launchers 1 tier up. anything else would be devoted to LAC ammuntion.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2011, 15:18:12 »
What about an ECM and Snub-nose PPC with power amplifiers?
Save the Humans.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2011, 16:36:20 »
and lose the specialty ammo that the LAC 5 offers?  no thank you
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

RoundTop

« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2011, 16:42:14 »
Any time you are looking at engine swap it is a pretty major overhaul, as your power systems and drive train have to be adjusted for the new power source.

I'd say that any planet with a vehicle or mech factory should be able to do it fairly easily.  If you are trying to backwoods mechanic it in the field, I would say very difficult.

Being as it is a vehicle, there are a lot more planets that produce vehicles that could do the conversion. Even so, I'd consider making a roll for it, 7+ to fully succeed, 4-6 it does not dissapate heat optimally, 2-3 you need to roll every time you sideslip/jump to see if the new drivetrain breaks down on you (Driving skill roll, all normal modifiers) and leaves you sitting there.

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2011, 16:48:52 »

And how much damage does it do?  And what's the minimum?  The range?  And isn't the ammo explosive?  Oh, and how available are LACs in comparison to SNPPCs?
Save the Humans.

Flaresnake

• Master Sergeant
  • The Star League is Eternal
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2011, 17:11:23 »

whats so great about the special ammo anyway?
"I'm not a warrior, I'm a soldier. There's a difference. Warriors attack and conquer, they prey on the weak. Soldiers defend and protect the innocent—usually from warriors."-Carth Onasi

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2011, 17:30:58 »
I'm just curious to see how hard/expensive it would be, if even possible, to switch out the Kanga's internal combustion engine with a lighter fusion model?  I know it's got the thrust bottles for the jets, but couldn't they, and the feeds, be switched out with standard JJ models?  Would it cause the special computer to have an algorithmic aneurism?  I don't intend to add anything crazy, like a turret.   
According to the rules it would require a Class E/F refit which must be completed at "A factory capable of creating the base unit".

Now, you can read that as any "Combat Vechicle Factory" or you can read that as "Only at a KANGA Factory" of which none-exist.

I'd go w/ the former myself.  As much as I like to think that Warhammers getting XL engines should be sent back to the WarHammer factory, and not a Locust Factory,  I'm hoping that it would work anywhere.

Anyway, any change of the "Engine Type" is not getting done in the field.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2011, 17:37:08 »
And how much damage does it do?  And what's the minimum?  The range?  And isn't the ammo explosive?  Oh, and how available are LACs in comparison to SNPPCs?
LAC5 is the same 5 points as an AC5.
There is no minimum, the Range is 5-10-15 just like an AC10.
The ammo is explosive, just like all other AC ammo but the Kanga is already packing AC, LRM, SRM, and MG ammo, so I really doubt loosing 1 type is going to matter when you still have 3 other types.
Also, its ble to be refit in an A grade package which CAN be done in the field w/ a repair truck.
Lastly, I might think LACs are "slightly" more common than SNPPCs given they were in the prototype stage earlier (3060 IIRC) in canon and since ACs are less "technical" than energy weapons.

whats so great about the special ammo anyway?
Really ?
Where do I start...

FLAK = -2 to hit Airborne targets
Precision = -2 from the TMM of ALL targets.
Armor Piercing = Chance of Crit against mechs, and auto crit on Vees IIRC.
Other even more specilized rounds like Tracer & Flechette for use in Night Ops or against Infantry.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2011, 17:43:08 »
Well, I figured it would be an Overhaul but once you make the mods to the vehicle, wouldn't that help with future maintenance?
Save the Humans.

Register