Author Topic: Bored and at work: Doing everything but...  (Read 2036 times)

gopher

• Warrant Officer
Bored and at work: Doing everything but...
« on: 28 March 2013, 09:32:55 »
Yeah, I have the joy of being in front of a computer all day, making sales call mainly, and I find myself with the world wide web at my fingertips. Such a distraction... Anyways, anybody else having an awesome day? Or what would you rather be doing? That is if anyone else is stuck at work.

Klep

• Captain
Re: Bored and at work: Doing everything but...
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2013, 09:39:23 »
I'd rather be playing Bioshock. Well, right now I'd rather be sleeping but in another hour or so I'd rather be playing Bioshock.

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2013, 09:42:05 »
Oh, man. the new one? I feel horrible cause I'm not even sure if it came out yet. lol

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2013, 09:43:38 »
Yeah, that's a good game for sure- that's why I'm sucking coffee like a boss today, up too late playing Bioshock last night  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2013, 09:45:06 »
Hearing very good things about Bioshock Infinite. Haven't played the first two games though, I don't know if it's necessary.

Doing sales and support today as well, kinda busy but still pretty chill.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2013, 09:46:46 »
I suppose I can't complain about being at work today. After all, it may be Thursday for you, but for me, it's Wednesday and Friday! O0

Ah, well. Back to the nitty-gritties of democracy...
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2013, 09:50:01 »
Hearing very good things about Bioshock Infinite. Haven't played the first two games though, I don't know if it's necessary.

Doing sales and support today as well, kinda busy but still pretty chill.

I had the same concern- I never got into the first Bioshock, and never played the second at all. This takes place sixty-odd years before the others, and apparently not in the same universe (or if it is, there's no real references to the other games that I'm aware of so far in my playthrough). You're fine going in blind like I have.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2013, 10:07:28 »
that's good to know. Weirdest thing is I own the first 2, but never got around to playing them. I've watched people play through both, and I am interested with all the excitement over the third.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2013, 10:20:55 »
The first is sure worth it, but I'd actually play System Shock 2 instead (it's on GoG now). Bioshock was pretty much a clone in a different setting with philosophical commentary bolted on. I enjoyed it a lot, but it has seams from the hybridization.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2013, 10:30:23 »
hmmm never even heard of it. Checking it out on the wiki though. seems like it has a good following. I hate when games fly under the radar.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2013, 10:54:37 »
Yeah. As you probably read in the wiki, post-SS2 got lost in licensing and development hell. Kevin Levine really really wanted to make another 'Shock game and Bioshock just ended up being the best option. Having played all the 'shock games, I'd still have to say SS2 was probably the most frightening action-horror game I've ever played up to that point even if Bioshock is a near clone.

Both games:
- Use scattered recording devices to slowly weave disparate plot threads together and tell the stories of multiple people
- Include FPS gameplay that strongly features some kind of hacking and sneaking mechanic (cameras and alerting systems in the hallways)
- Deformed and mentally deranged people (not zombies; they still have independent thought)
- Limit access to resources, especially ammunition
- Have some kind of magic system based in pseudo-science
- Have hackable vending machines that dispense weaponry
- Have major plot twists

So the gameplay's almost exactly the same. It fits into the classic Sci-fi aesthetic of System Shock 2. A lot of what people find distasteful about Bioshock is that it *feels* bolted on. I think they're right, but it fits in well enough in Bioshock that I was willing to suspend disbelief for the game.

Where SS2 really outshone Bioshock was in a combination of sound and threat. Playing with headphones and the lights out were known to reduce people to quivering masses. Yeah people have equalled and surpassed that with the Silent Hill series, Amnesia, and others but this was the first time designers really started using sound as almost its own character in the game. Combined with the resource shortages and dribbles of plot information, the game was exquisitely balanced.

Big Daddies and certain other enemies from Bioshock pose similar threats, but the horror of having hybrid humans sneaking up behind you and hitting you with a pipe as they groan "IIIII'm Sooooorrrry" and "Kiiiiilll meeeee" while you're hearing certain crewmembers comment on their biological changes as they praise the hive mind of "The Many" just hits you right in the disgust button. Selfish individuals who drugged themselves to oblivion don't quite have the same punch.

Think of a hybrid between Star Trek's Borg and Alien and you'll get the feel of SS2.

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Stahlseele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2013, 11:16:11 »
I am at work, playing games and watching videos on my 5.2" Cell.
I did not set up the wireless here for nothing, it's 50% for private use <.<

Every now and then i try and help a customer who calls for techsupport.

If i am really bored, i go for a wiki-walk.
see how many jumps till hitler again.

read some webcomics.

do some work related stuff, like reading up on the BOFH.
Quote from one of the Mechwarrior: Living Legends Mod Developers:
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness ****** the shit ****** random!'

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2013, 15:37:56 »
Spent the morning in court, catching up on paperwork while waiting to be called, two frustrating hours on the stand but I did well enough that the defendant pled out over the lunch break.  Would have rather been doing ANYTHING else.  Now I have to go inspect a chrome plating business - what fun.  Tomorrow I am grabbing the camera and hitting the hills; no paperwork, slime bucket lawyers or caustic chemicals.

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2013, 15:49:17 »
Spent the morning in court, catching up on paperwork while waiting to be called, two frustrating hours on the stand but I did well enough that the defendant pled out over the lunch break.  Would have rather been doing ANYTHING else.  Now I have to go inspect a chrome plating business - what fun.  Tomorrow I am grabbing the camera and hitting the hills; no paperwork, slime bucket lawyers or caustic chemicals.

That seems like an awful day. Mine is almost over now. can't wait for the boss to be out of town tomorrow and next week!!! >:D

Orion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2013, 12:01:34 »
It's Good Friday here, and most of the government drones got the day off.  I volunteered to work so that I could have Monday off instead, which is better for me.  It so dead here now that I'm actually the senior person, and the acting director for the day (that's a three level jump for me).  Not that it means anything, of course.

I should be rewriting some SAS code, or helping a person write queries for their badly designed Access database, but my mind is not here today.  Time to finish lunch, and then force myself to concentrate on real work.
Game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself.

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2013, 12:19:20 »
I'm sitting at work, eating a sandwich and doing...well thats about it. Its definitely a good Friday!  :)
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2013, 12:53:01 »
Don't even get me started on this good friday lol. I had no idea how many people closed business for today and even yesterday.(Sorry, I worked for Wal-mart before this job and the only day off we got was Christmas.) This does make for a good day of web surfing and browser gaming. O0