Author Topic: MOT* Lynx  (Read 3438 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
MOT* Lynx
« on: 19 January 2021, 01:52:43 »
How does the Lynx not have a MOT* write-up?

The mech was introduced in 1995’s TRO:3058 as a Star League era retcon inclusion. While the concept of ‘royal mechs’ is a much more recent thing, I consider this pretty much a royal. It’s what the Wolverine wanted to be when it grew up, complete with cheesy medium laser spam.

The original mech is the 9Q. It’s 55 tons, and has the classic 55 ton movement of 5/8/5, although it unfortunately uses an XL. Armor is maxed, to the point of wasting most of the last half ton. Distribution is reasonable; I’d like to be able to take a clan medium laser to a side rear, but being able to absorb two ten pointers to the front is probably more important.

That’s reasonably survivable. Not great, but good.

Cooling is fifteen double heat sinks, and at this point you begin to suspect what is to come. Begin with the ‘long range token,’ an ER-PPC. For the intermediate bracket we have a large laser join in. When things get up really close four medium lasers get the chance to show why they’re the weapon all others are still compared to. It’s a lot of firepower, especially in close. It doesn’t really volley or bracket cleanly, but it isn’t hard avoid penalties on the heat scale while dishing out steady photonic pain.

Playing it? If you’ve ever run a wolverine you’re in good shape; stay mobile, bully lighter mechs and harass heavier ones. It’s a good all-rounder with a heavy side of close assault.

So why isn’t it more popular? My guess is partly the mini. It’s a victim of Ral Partha’s big hips/bigger shoulders era with a straight-legged pose; again in my opinion it’s a prime candidate for a re-sculpt.

The first variant post-revival is the -9C. It deletes the large laser for a pair of streak two launchers, and a massive two-ton un-CASEd ammo bay in the side torso. That isn’t great. It’s lower heat than the laser it replaces for the same damage, but the spikes are unpredictable and shorter ranged. It makes riding the curve a guessing game.

However, like most streak-2 mechs of the ‘90s, there used to be a point. Infernos were usable in S-2s, and small number of infernos used to be much more effective. With the second ton of ammo the S-2 could deal damage, but the real point was to cut off some of the enemy’s capabilities.

The second variant is the -9R. It’s a simple swap of the large laser for an ER large. Whether the tradeoff is worth it probably depends on who you’re fighting. In close you’re less heat efficient, therefore dealing less damage over a period of turns. Beyond the effective range of the medium lasers you have better accuracy, hopefully getting more hits. I’d chose stock against inner sphere and -9R for fighting clans usually.

There is also a succession war downgrade; the -8Q's engine becomes a standard, but it loses the jump jets, some armor – notably the side torsos go under a threshold by losing a point – two medium lasers, and the ER-PPC becomes a standard large. Most painfully, the heat sinks become singles. Basically it’s a tougher but hotter succession war Crab.

Last year (2020) we got the final version in Golden Century, the Lynx C. I don’t have the book or record sheet, but sarna makes it sound like it has less armor and runs hotter – very smoked kitty. OTOH, range goes up by a lot, as well as damage.

Final analysis – this mech is one of the reasons TRO 3058 has the reputation for optimized designs (despite also having some real clunkers.)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: MOT* Lynx
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2021, 03:48:44 »
Actually, the Lynx C has the same armor profile as the 9Q.  It's definitely a hotter mech due to using ER lasers, but it also packs two additional heatsinks thanks to Clan weight and space-saving tech and has a much greater engagement range.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2021, 04:08:09 »
The mech was introduced in 1995’s TRO:3058 as a Star League era retcon inclusion.

Actually the Lynx concept, if not the exact design, first appears in BattleTechnology 9.

I college in Boston, I played with Hugh Browne and Adventure Architects, the guys behind the first Merc’s Handbook, JFSB, etc.  Hugh sold TRO3058 (or a big chunk of it) to FASA as a way to gather up stray designs (e.g., Chameleon, Pillager, etc.) in a single source, and he led its writing.  Some BattleTechnology designs like the Lynx found their way in as a result.

Final analysis – this mech is one of the reasons TRO 3058 has the reputation for optimized designs (despite also having some real clunkers.)

We had our “B” units for crunchy, Mad Max roleplaying.  But we also played brutal, munched out games with our “A” units, which were the source of most of the heavily optimized designs (Night Hawk, Spector, Talon, Starslayer, Cestus, Dragon Fire, Maelstrom, Emperor, Nightstar, Devastator, Pillager, Thunder Hawk, etc.) in TRO: 3058.  I believe Hugh transformed the Lynx concept from BattleTechnology into one of those optimized designs in TRO3058.

FWIW...
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2021, 11:56:46 »
I've always been slightly taken with how the Lynx is a pint sized Falconer.  Same speed, same armour, virtually the same weapons - although replacing a Gauss Rifle with a Large Laser is admittedly quite the downgrade.

My biggest problem with the Lynx is how brutally expensive it is. 1725 bv is on a par with the most expensive Warhammer variants which typically have more ranged firepower, more armour and better cooling.  Such is the price of speed and mobility...

Having said that, I do have one.  Recently it's been orphaned from my Mercenary unit (I replaced it with a Shadow Hawk of all things) and has been lying around, stripped and looking for a new paint job.  Learning about the Lynx C has been a godsend because that gives me an excuse to add it to my Smoke Jaguar collection.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2021, 13:10:40 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2021, 12:35:24 »
Despite my usual preference for quirkier machines, I absolutely love the Lynx, and consider it quite possibly the premier IS-tech heavy skirmisher in the game. The combination of maneuverability and firepower means that given time you can pick apart even much larger mechs, and the heavy armor means that as long as you don't get cocky and try to stand and slug, even concentrated barrages or lucky hits will usually take a while to drive you off. AE, tarcomps, and Clan pulse lasers are this machine's only real banes, but no more than they already are for any other mech.

It does suffer in later eras with the proliferation of plasma and reflec armor, but at least it can still lean on its own armor to try and stay in the fight longer than most skirmishers, and trying to take down its target by scoring more small hits over time.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul