Poll

Which is the best 10-ton Clan weapon system?

LB-10X AC
14 (34.1%)
Ultra AC/10
6 (14.6%)
HAG-20
6 (14.6%)
Streak LRM-20
15 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Best 10-ton Clan Gun  (Read 5231 times)

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
Best 10-ton Clan Gun
« on: 10 March 2011, 16:29:26 »
I know I would nearly always pick the missiles, but then I like experimental tech more than most. What say the rest of you?

LB-10X: Lowest damage of the lot, but nothing critseeks like an LB-X. The increasing combined arms emphasis along with the flak bonus also make it great against non-mechs.

Ultra AC/10: Consistent, compact, and good damage. Less likely to hit with the second hit than the HAG, but it averages out to be similar and concentrated damage is nice.

HAG-20: Great range, but damage is more spread out. Not to mention the fact that larger HAGs are strictly better since the range doesn't drop like with autocannons.

SLRM-20: Damage is clustered like the HAG but every shot hits. So, barring effects like cover and AMS, a ton of SLRM-20 ammo equals 120 damage to something. Better range than the autocannons, and the HAG takes a cluster hits penalty to outrange it.

Enjoy SLRM! It's highly effective!

Diablo48

• Major
Re: Best 10-ton Clan Gun
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2011, 18:03:29 »
I went with the SLRM because the AC 10 family are the worst of the bunch in Clan space with insufficient range to be effective in normal Clan combat and insufficient power to be competitive with the real infighting weapons.  The 2-X is unmatched as an anti-air gun, the 5-X is king for critseeking because of its range, and nothing can match the 20's for in your face knockdown potential, but the 10's just make too many compromises to be really useful.

The HAG has some ground to compete with the flack bonus for anti-air duty, but the 20 is horribly inefficient so it looses to the more powerful SLRMs.  The HAG 40 could beat out 16 tons worth of SLRMs with its extra bit of range and flack bonus, but the 20 is just too inefficient to be worthwhile.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2011, 18:11:28 »
It was an honest toss up between the LB-X, the U/AC and the Hag, but I voted HAG because I've had better luck with it in the end.  The damage is more spread out, but it can still be a devastating weapon...

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2011, 19:56:35 »
It was an honest toss up between the LB-X, the U/AC and the Hag, but I voted HAG because I've had better luck with it in the end.  The damage is more spread out, but it can still be a devastating weapon...
If I may ask, what precluded the SLRM? Not enough damage concentration, or just too boring?

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2011, 20:33:51 »
SLRM 20 most consistant in the amount of damage per hit! imho
"Veni Vidi Vici"

Urban Kufahl

• Lieutenant
  • Si vis pacem.. et caetera, ad nauseam
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2011, 20:50:16 »
LBX-10 is really good vs infantry (who could not retaliate if not LRM equipped) but lack of power vs mech, may for crit seeker vs vehicles to stop them but you are lacking range to do that "safely"

UAC's = without any unjam option it's a risky game

HAG  good range, average anti-mech power (or devastating if some armor is already gone), good anti-infantry/battle armor, and anti-vehicle maybe my fav here.

SLRM : never use it's experimental  :-[

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2011, 21:16:24 »
SLRMs, for sure.  Unless there are somewhat unusual circumstances (AMS, Reactive/Hardened/Ferro Lamellor Armor, Partial Cover), you WILL do 120 points of total damage, and get 4 hit locations per shot.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Iron Wolf

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2011, 22:24:23 »
I tend to go with older equipment. The LB-10X is a multi-purpose gun that works well with the range brackets of other Clan weapons. Sure it doesn't have the attractive range or damage of some of the other weapons on that list. But with lower heat and more shots per ton it's more forgiving.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2011, 23:58:02 »
Admittedly, I've never used the SLRM, but I'm quite a fan of the LBX10.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Guardsman

• Captain
  • Sang-wei Christopher Vose
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2011, 00:49:19 »
Strangely, I rarely use any of those.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
You will live on forever,
So long as the internet exists,
We shall remember you, Albatross.
1st Chesterton Guards
Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical
100% Strength | 100% Upgraded

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2011, 00:58:10 »
I vote UAC/10 because it's fun and my favourite gun by far

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2011, 01:14:04 »
LB-10X since it is the support weapon of choice for me. You want range or a main gun? Use a Gauss or PPC. LB-10X offers medium range versatility and flak/crit seeking ability.

The UAC jams to much to be the best overall imo and I must say that I havn't used the HAG's or the SLRM's at all.
Made by HikageMaru

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2011, 08:36:08 »
I find on my designs, the decision maker is how many tons of ammo I can mount...if I can only do 2, I go LB-10X...if I can get 3, then it is likely the HAG-20...

SLRM's are knocked out of the general running due to AMS...

Besides, I wuv me some dakka dakka...  ;)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Stockus13

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2011, 09:55:23 »
I would go with the HAG on this one. It has the anti-air ability, good range, decent crit seeking vs wounded units, and no exploding ammo! Works great on hot running flashbulb units.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2011, 10:31:07 »
War is rarely a one stop shop so I would pick the Streak LRM-20, for the reasons mentioned above, and the HAG-20, because if it blows it only does the capacitor damage and not the ammo explosion damage. Better to replace 1 gun than an entire mech, veh or asf

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2011, 22:43:43 »
War is rarely a one stop shop so I would pick the Streak LRM-20, for the reasons mentioned above, and the HAG-20, because if it blows it only does the capacitor damage and not the ammo explosion damage. Better to replace 1 gun than an entire mech, veh or asf

Except Clanners get free CASE so you will usually not loose all that much when the ammo blows, and ammo is far cheaper to replace than a weapon.

Stockus13

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 14 March 2011, 10:00:36 »
But if the ammo blows don't you lose the weapon in that location as well?

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2011, 10:05:33 »
But if the ammo blows don't you lose the weapon in that location as well?

Only if it is in the same location.

RangerRob

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Campaign GM
« Reply #18 on: 14 March 2011, 10:45:49 »
Kraken 2 and Phoenix Hawk IIC are two of my favorite mechs...

So it was the Ultra AC10 for me.
Rangerrob