Author Topic: Wasteland 2 - Who's playing?  (Read 1985 times)

Marwynn

• Major
Wasteland 2 - Who's playing?
« on: 20 September 2014, 00:05:29 »
This game was released earlier today, and you can grab it for $40 off GOG.com or Steam. It's a hefty download though, be advised.

So far, it's very old school in its approach to just about everything. It's bloody and gory, and definitely has some dark humour. I somehow managed to create two characters without any weapon skills, so I'm restarting again after an hour's play.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
Re: Wasteland 2 - Who's playing?
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2014, 02:37:50 »
I got it off Steam.  It came with Wasteland 1 too.  So, I was thinking of playing that first.  Maybe.  Havnt decided yet.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Shin Yodama

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2014, 03:21:21 »
I helped Kickstart it, I've been playing for months.

Unless you really, really don't mind the graphics, I wouldn't play WL1 first. Just jump straight into 2.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2014, 06:34:49 »
Old style graphics dont bother me.  Heck, I'm playing Final Fantasy on my Wii right now.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

Shin Yodama

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2014, 09:14:27 »
Well that's cool then. Just be aware it's 20 years old.

Whenever I try to play some of the classics from my younger days, I find that I can't face them anymore because they look and feel so ... clunky. I guess I've been spoiled by all the advancements in technology.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2014, 11:02:32 »
Whenever I try to play some of the classics from my younger days, I find that I can't face them anymore because they look and feel so ... clunky. I guess I've been spoiled by all the advancements in technology.

This.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2014, 12:29:02 »
This game was released earlier today, and you can grab it for $40 off GOG.com or Steam. It's a hefty download though, be advised.

How big is it from GOG?   ???  My few experiences with Steam have been so Severely NEGATIVE that I'll NEVER pay them so much as a penny for any game.  :P  While I'll still have to download the game from a friend's house, at least it WON'T be from Steam!  I think the new Shadowrun PC game is available through GOG also, so I might see how much/how big that one is.

Back in the late 80's, I took my C-64 version package/sleeve for Wasteland to Gen Con one year, and got it autographed by Michael Stackpole!    8)  O0
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2014, 14:54:54 »
Well that's cool then. Just be aware it's 20 years old.

26 actually

I'm just the opposite.  I prefer older games.  Between the fact game developers make new ones too comp!icated sometimes, and the fact they seem to just make the same 4 games over and over with different names, I dont play new releases much.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2014, 17:42:58 »
I want to but the download size is a hurdle I am not interested in dealing with.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2014, 19:04:53 »
Yeah, 9gb is a little too much. It expands to 21 or 27gb after downloading too.

Still, I'm having fun. Though I somehow managed to create a group of 4 characters without lockpicking. Ugh.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2014, 21:52:34 »
I have a 2TB harddrive.  no download is an obstacle to me. :p

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2014, 23:42:45 »
I backed it on Kickstarter way back when, and...

Activating the Backer Skill

As a backer, you can activate a unique skill in the game. This is our special thanks to all our backers. To do so, type in "61290" when in dialog with Cpl. Solveig Sefors, the supply officer standing outside at Ranger Citadel. Thank you for your support!

Enjoy!

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2014, 11:28:59 »
I'll try that one tonight, thanks chanman.

I've been playing it since I got it and having loads of nostalgic fun. However, I do have some... well not complaints, but oddness, namely with Attributes and Skills and the fact that the former doesn't influence the latter. You can have a dimwit Rank 4 Surgeon. Or a Charisma 1 Character be the "Face" as long as you have the Skills.

Levelling up is rather easy if you have high Intelligence and Charisma, and Intelligence 4 gives you 3 Skill Points per level up instead of 2. That's huge, every two level ups you can increase a Skill by two levels. 

I don't know how I feel about that, but it's just so very odd. I've restarted a few times, mostly because I'm still getting a feel for the weapon types.

I've settled on this team:

Pointman
Shotgun (Energy later)
Perception, Medic

This guy will have Int 4 and almost everything else pumped into the combat stats. If he has high enough movement, he can get really up close and personal. Shotguns will take care of poorly armoured opponents, Energy will take care of heavily armoured ones. Since he's mobile, he needs to be Perceptive and a Medic (perhaps a Surgeon).

Rogue
Pistol
Demolitions, Alarm Disarm, Lockpicking, (Safe cracking later)

High Int, as he'll be juggling those three skills. I haven't actually used Pistols yet, preferring SMGs which uses the same ammo though much more of it. I hear they can shoot two or three times for average characters. Will also pick up other Knowledge Skills quite easily.

Doc
Assault Rifle
Medic, Surgeon

A "balanced" character, will be all around useful. Secondary weapon may be SMGs as the ammo will be plentiful and ARs suck at close range.

Heavy
Sniper Rifle
Leadership, Smart-Ass or another -Ass ability

Sniper Rifles are pretty dang cool. A decent Int, even 4, will let this guy quickly gather other needed Skills. I'm hoping to find a way to give him decent Action Points so that he can reposition and maybe switch from a Sniper Rifle to a Heavy Weapon. High Charisma for this guy, primarily to access Followers.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2014, 01:40:23 »
Heavy
Sniper Rifle
Leadership, Smart-Ass or another -Ass ability

What!??!   :o   Can you Please explain that a little bit more?   ;D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2014, 07:13:47 »
What!??!   :o   Can you Please explain that a little bit more?   ;D

There are three social skills called Hard-Ass (Intimidation), Kiss-Ass (Charm), and Smart-Ass (Diplomacy). One of those is usually useful. However, you get access to a character with Hard-Ass right away.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2014, 00:06:58 »
Well, I was going to start playing this this week, unfortunatly I wound up starting another game of Civ V instead.  So, may be a while till I see how good this is :-\

Register