Author Topic: Faction preference  (Read 4557 times)

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
Faction preference
« on: 06 February 2014, 23:08:25 »
What is your preferd faction to field? Myself I'm fond of Steiners and Liao units from when I played. I remember having an LE Yu-Huang that was quite a beast, and I used a Marauder IIC from the Steiners to great effect
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Re: Faction preference
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2014, 23:11:25 »
Most of my battletech experiences have been as a GM so generally whichever bad guys that need shot.

My preference now is Clan Sea Fox in the Dark Ages. For when I'm playing for me.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2014, 23:28:38 »
I am impressed with some of the Liao units. They seem very balanced and good at striking tactics.

I used to be a total Steel Wolves head, but I was always stumped by how they get better when taking damage. Davies were difficult for their weak heat dials.
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2014, 23:37:07 »
I am impressed with some of the Liao units. They seem very balanced and good at striking tactics.

I used to be a total Steel Wolves head, but I was always stumped by how they get better when taking damage. Davies were difficult for their weak heat dials.

When the going gets tough. Wolves have always been Obstinate. No matter the flavor
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2014, 00:21:37 »
Bannson's Raiders (I keep wanting to call them Branson's Raiders) have the best paintjobs.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2014, 10:20:24 »
Highlanders for me, back in the day ... later mixed with RotS, of course  ::). My wife ran Spirit Cat forces that were quite effective.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2014, 10:29:59 »
I changed loyalties a lot, but I played liao the most.  Followed by Jade Falcon.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Elusive

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2014, 20:10:08 »
I lucked into Clan Nova Cat (fated haha) and have stayed faithful.  Long range lasers suit my thought processes.  I also like Dragon's Fury (of course they go together) but the Cats are my only true love.

Clan Nova Cat: If it weren't for bad fate, we'd have no fate at all.

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2014, 20:53:59 »
 Though we did not get much, I Love the Wolf Empire stuff. I did enjoy playing Steel Wolves they get 2 damage and turn Berserker Wolves O0

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #9 on: 09 February 2014, 00:20:11 »
Though we did not get much, I Love the Wolf Empire stuff. I did enjoy playing Steel Wolves they get 2 damage and turn Berserker Wolves O0
Yulri's Black Hawk especially. I just got Seka Ward's Timberwolf also, can't wait to look at the dial on that. However that mech might get repainted for N-scale battletech

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2014, 08:20:23 »
You do know about the unit listing over at warrenborn, right? Although just be careful. That hack obviously had a Liao bias.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 09 February 2014, 10:34:57 »
Spirit Cats/Nova Cats, Steel Wolves/Clan Wolf.  And a dash of Clan Sea Fox.  My brother plays Dragon's Fury/House Kurita.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #12 on: 09 February 2014, 10:49:44 »
Bannson's Raiders (I too did call them Branson's Raiders) was my favorite in the early days.  Once they stopped really getting units, I stopped playing due to my preference to run mono-faction units and our group having a system of dividing up booster packs by faction to all the players (8 people investing in multiple boxes of boosters and dividing up the spoils during the unpacking) so lacking the units to be able to effectively expand once the new sets arrived.   It worked well during the days when the group played games like the Babylon 5 CCG, mage knight, and the Axis and Allies games (pick your nation/faction, you get their stuff out of the group purchases).   Till the company decides to gimp a faction...  damn you wizkids.

Had a lance of M1 Marksmen that refused to die and soon started to put kill rings on the main gun barrel from mech kills.   Had to start adopting the panzer scheme of alternating black and white rings by the time I got out of the game.

But yes, the Raider massive piles of artillery, tanks, and few to no repair marks made them so useful.   Even if they had a lack of good APCs and Helicopters.    I do have an industrial mech with the Virgin America logo painted on the side... one of the few units I still have from those days... next to that Marksman lance and the character units.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

dethtungue

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2014, 17:07:36 »
I liked to play the kitties first and the birds second.  My son loved the wolves and usually did a lot better than me.  He really had a handle on their tricky dials.  He loved the big point events where he could bring out Geoff Bekker. 

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2014, 17:20:18 »
I wanted to play Republic but just couldn't get many figures so I mainly played Bannson's Raiders. Marksmen backing Agromechs with arty raining down support.
I eventually built the full light lance from their green regiment - the one with Carter Gao's excellent Wasp.

I also had a pretty decent Steel Wolves force that was pretty nasty. Think hordes of Koshis ...

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
  • ...With blackjack. And hookers. In fact....
« Reply #15 on: 22 February 2014, 11:08:56 »
Steel Wolves at intro.

Then I went to Clan Jade Falcon.

Then I started to mix Republic of the Sphere units in.

Then I went Rasalhague Dominion (and RotS). Although by then, I had effectively quit playing and never really got many of their units. And now it's getting harder and harder to find the ones that I wanted (Marauder IIC, Savage Wolf, &c.).
Úlfhéðnar Free Company
Clan Free Ghost Rasalhague Bear Dominion Republic

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2014, 20:56:40 »
I played Swordsworn, though never very well. Perhaps I was just too young (and lacked the better pieces) to come up with winning strategies. Come to think of it, that is rather in keeping with the current status of many Davion units in the Dark Age.  :D

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2014, 21:21:22 »
Steel Wolves at intro.

Then I went to Clan Jade Falcon.

Then I started to mix Republic of the Sphere units in.

Then I went Rasalhague Dominion (and RotS). Although by then, I had effectively quit playing and never really got many of their units. And now it's getting harder and harder to find the ones that I wanted (Marauder IIC, Savage Wolf, &c.).
I Have the RD Atlas "Bjorn", "Ull" ursus, Thor, Violator, and scourge, with an elite R10

Ghost bears FTW

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2014, 22:21:02 »
I currently bounce between Davion/Swordsworn and Ghost Bears. (That's what I will always call them!)

Davion has some heavy hitters, not to mention my favorite Battlemech is the Templar so I usually run one of the two that come in the Battleforce set.  Then I have plenty of Gnomes, Purifiers, and SRM Teams to back the mechs up. 

As for the Bears, I love how they work.  Those are some Berserker dials!  Since I mainly play against my brother he hates them, especially the Huitzilopochtli assault tank.  Stormwind and the Marauder IIC are also some of his most hated units.  People always bash the berserker dials but really, they are clan tech backed by genetically modified humans.  To me it makes sense that the more they get hit and pissed off the more aggressive and better shots they become.  I always figured the berserkers were just the combination of better aim hitting weaker spots to do more damage once enraged.
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #19 on: 14 April 2014, 11:36:56 »
At the start, I think I was suitably impressed by Sword Sworn and Highlanders, but had very few of them because others wanted to play those factions, too.  Then it happened that nobody else wanted Spirit Cats because they simply appeared to be weak as individual units. 

*Alpha Strike Blackhawk that shuts down for three turns and can't hit a 23DV without help.
*Mechs and tanks with mostly energy weapons perceived as "weak against infantry".
*Fast infantry that need close combat group attacks to be a serious threat to anyone.
*No reliable Transports or Artillery of their own to Turtle with.
*No awesome LE special units (okay they got the Scorchers later)

Well, you get the idea, fighting Peasants and Agromechs was about all the SCats were good for.

But the Koshi Charge Monkey, Alpha Strike Fire Squad, CBA Capture Teams, Slingshot Saxon Hoverbike, and a pair of AnP Shock Troopers riding a mercenary Giggins APC proved to give many players a lot to think about when they hear the Spirit Cats never lost a fight.

Basically, the Alpha Strike Team retired when AoD rules allowed mechs to use Assault Orders or Friendly Fire to eliminate the Base-Break mechanic.

With Clan Nova Cat adding a few more fun pieces, this became a solid favorite faction.  Sure, I have a few allied Dragons but they are mostly for decoration.

I'd go on about the "Mercenary Faction", but it was never officially treated as a Faction.  It's just a bunch of units not assigned to any other faction.  Similar units with appropriate faction symbols were more desirable.  Again, the rules changed with AoD permitting them to move and attack in various formations, so the early tank and infantry units gained value and became more playable.  The best part of this mercenary/gunslinger army is it can choose to represent any Faction with a contract card or individual recruiting cost.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2014, 12:19:36 »
You do know about the unit listing over at warrenborn, right? Although just be careful. That hack obviously had a Liao bias.

Also, he's an evil son of a bitch. Trust him at your peril.  ^-^

It goes as no surprise that I'm a Jade Falcon player on the rare occasions I get to play some MW these days. Preferred figures include the Clan Battle Armor with the insane movement, Malvina's 'Black Rose', the Shamash hovercraft (to be used as cruise missiles), Trovic Nilloba's Gyrfalcon (11 point alpha strike? Yes please.) and the Loki (come on, I mean, look at that energy attack! Plus there's something about a jade Hellbringer...)

Prior to the release of the Falcons I was into Bannson's Raiders, but most of the figures I had for that are long gone- I still have most of the uniques and a few old favorites from those days, but not enough to really play an army anymore.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Register