Author Topic: Great Heavy Mechs with C3i  (Read 9754 times)

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
Re: Great Heavy Mechs with C3i
« Reply #30 on: 23 June 2011, 06:11:43 »
Well, just restricting things to assaults: if you need an assault that jumps and has two headcappers, you're better off taking the King Crab KGC-008 (or the Seraph D; at least it benefits from the overheat). As for 4/6 assaults, I mentioned the Thug and Cerberus earlier, either of which are more consistently reliable than the LGC-03.

I agree with the Thug, although 2 ERPPC's is a big anemic compared to the throw of other assaults. Don't get me wrong, I love the Thug. Just after consistently playing C*/WoB and using iC3, it just doesn't hit that hard.

Sarpah Luminos? I know it has TSM, but 12 DHS vs. 14? It has an even worse time sustaining HPPC covering fire.

Cerberus: XL engine, ammo in the side and suffers GXS. (I've started to shy away from Gauss rifles, just not a fan of 7 critical slots just waiting to explode)

King Crab? Agreed.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 23 June 2011, 06:57:43 »
Two things that amuse me about this thread...

1) Its evolved into a discussion on certain Assaults, rather than sticking to the heavy discussion, though its cool. I think we pretty much hashed out the heavies quite well.

2) No one has even hinted at the 13K Thug :)

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #32 on: 23 June 2011, 07:18:52 »
Two things that amuse me about this thread...

1) Its evolved into a discussion on certain Assaults, rather than sticking to the heavy discussion, though its cool. I think we pretty much hashed out the heavies quite well.

2) No one has even hinted at the 13K Thug :)

You mean the Thug which thinks carrying a spare HPPC is worth having an XL over? Nah, I'll pass.

And yeah, I'm a co-conspirator in this thread-jack... :)
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 23 June 2011, 18:00:01 »
Can you combine the TC with the C3 on that mech which has both??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #34 on: 23 June 2011, 18:11:52 »
I agree with the Thug, although 2 ERPPC's is a big anemic compared to the throw of other assaults. Don't get me wrong, I love the Thug. Just after consistently playing C*/WoB and using iC3, it just doesn't hit that hard.

But it's much more consistent. I'd rather have 20 points of damage every turn than a 30/15/30 pattern. Between that and the superior range brackets of ER PPCs when linked into the C3i, it makes the THG-12E clearly comes out ahead, IMO.

Seraph Luminos? I know it has TSM, but 12 DHS vs. 14? It has an even worse time sustaining HPPC covering fire.

That's what I though at first too, but think about it: 2 HPPCs + 1 Small Laser + Running is 33 heat. Or you could do 2 HPPCs + Jump 5, which is also 33 heat. So you can easily maintain constant TSM heat while firing both your main guns continuously, making it effectively a 4/6/5 'Mech with the same primary armament as the LGC-03 and better backup weaponry.

Cerberus: XL engine, ammo in the side and suffers GXS. (I've started to shy away from Gauss rifles, just not a fan of 7 critical slots just waiting to explode)

I'd argue the the superior armor and consistency of firepower outweigh those disadvantages, but YMMV.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 23 June 2011, 18:27:06 »
But it's much more consistent. I'd rather have 20 points of damage every turn than a 30/15/30 pattern. Between that and the superior range brackets of ER PPCs when linked into the C3i, it makes the THG-12E clearly comes out ahead, IMO.

First off, it has 14dhs, so it would be a 2/2/1 (30/30/15) pattern, assuming you've found your spot to snipe provide fire support from.

That's what I though at first too, but think about it: 2 HPPCs + 1 Small Laser + Running is 33 heat. Or you could do 2 HPPCs + Jump 5, which is also 33 heat. So you can easily maintain constant TSM heat while firing both your main guns continuously, making it effectively a 4/6/5 'Mech with the same primary armament as the LGC-03 and better backup weaponry.

33 gets you there, but then on subsequent turns you have to stay heat neutral or hotter to maintain the TSM benefits, and with 12 dhs, that's gonna leave you in a 2/1 (and other stuff) firing pattern. Also they're improved jets, so the heat should be 3.

This is what I mean:

Turn 1: 2HPPC's and whatever to get to 9 heat.
Turn 2: 1 HPPC and whatever to stay neutral, or 2 HHPC's, which leaves you at least 15 heat. Oh and don't forget this turn's fire is at a +1 because of your 9 heat.
Turn 2+: repeat as needed 1HPPC and a heat neutral firing solution or another +6 (or more) for firing 2HPPC's and whatever you may be doing.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #36 on: 23 June 2011, 19:59:05 »

Yes

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #37 on: 24 June 2011, 11:00:06 »

-1 at Shortrange when you fire at Long, due to the C3 connection.

I have always wondered, if I could (i)Narc, Artemis-slaved and C3(i) a missile using Swarm and Swarm-I?

Rules state that the Artemis and (i)Narc are uncompatible, but I could carry each type and still use them respectfully. And Swarm / Sawrm-I cannot be used by (i)Narc either.

And counter to belief, Clans do use Swarm Missiles!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #38 on: 24 June 2011, 11:04:06 »
And counter to belief, Clans do use Swarm Missiles!

TT

Which makes absolutely no sense when you think about how the Clans do business- it's virtually the antithesis of their philosophy. Things like artillery and such are at least evils of necessity, but Swarms are the kind of thing that shouldn't exist in the Clans. They DO, but I'd be shocked to find the Clan warrior who would put these things in his LRM bin.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 24 June 2011, 11:13:56 »
Lets see here, examples of when to use Swarm. ( I've used these before... )

Infantry, including Battle Armor.
Protomechs
Vehicles
Aerospace, meaning the Point CO and wingman.
Drezga surats, meaning Bandits and other non-honorable targets, including Inner Sphere forces.
In the Trial of Annihilation targets, I can see this being the " standard " missile used.

I miss something?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 24 June 2011, 11:15:00 »
-1 at Shortrange when you fire at Long, due to the C3 connection.

Only if you have the TC, though. You don't benefit from one carried by the spotter.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 24 June 2011, 11:34:49 »

His question, not mine.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 24 June 2011, 11:40:24 »
His question, not mine.

TT

His question, but your answer -- which could potentially be read as "yes, the entire network can share one targeting computer". :) I just wanted to make sure there were no misunderstandings with regard to that.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 24 June 2011, 11:47:23 »
True, I forget most people kinda think everyone shares the same TC. Would be awesome if it did, but each mech costs BV for a better, or worser, pilot and C3(i) capabilities.

Thanks for looking out A. Lurker! :)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Register