Author Topic: War of 3039  (Read 6912 times)

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
Re: War of 3039
« Reply #30 on: 15 June 2014, 09:03:18 »
Victors error in the whole affair was that he felt that he felt that the cause of the inner sphere against the clans needed him more than his house. He erroneously thought that the rest of his siblings understood what was needed for the greater good.

In that respect,  Victor was only continuing a decision made by Hanse Davion.    When the Clan Invasion began,   Hanse ignored opportunities to strike at the Combine in favor of heavily reinforcing the Lyran half of the commonwealth against Clan Jade Falcon.

What Hanse (or anyone else) could not understand was the level of infighting among the Clans (which would certainly get worse has they approached Terra) or that Comstar would ultimately make a do or die stand versus the Clans.

Basically all Hanse's decision did was make the fighting a lot bloodier and saved few worlds.

Shin Yodama

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 15 June 2014, 12:14:12 »
'39 was the year the Draconis Combine had their backs to the wall, facing the combined might of two Great Houses, a political and military juggernaut that looked to be unbeatable. Theodore proved his mettle in the crucible that year, through covert and overt military action, political machinations and downright refusal to give in. It is one of the most interesting years of Battletech history.

Plus: Shin Yodama!

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #32 on: 15 June 2014, 13:39:28 »

Plus: Shin Yodama!

Shin Yodama has one of my favorite moments in Battletech History.

Kai Allard-Liao:  "Do you know anything about explosives?"

Shin BAMF Yodama:  (smiling)  "When I was seven, the Kuroi Kiri had me planting packets of C-34 wherever I could to harass Commonwealth troops on Marfik."

*Beat*

KAL:  "Nothing like on the job training."
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #33 on: 15 June 2014, 14:51:51 »
To me, the biggest aftereffect of 3039 is one that's often overlooked: It marked the public unveiling of the Com Guards, and their eventual stationing of forces all across the Inner Sphere. Not only was this a huge win for Comstar, but once it became the new 'normal' in the populace's eyes, after the Schism it gave the Word of Blake a vast multitude of small bases in areas they had influence. I'm sure we can all agree that the Jihad would have had to follow a very different path if the Blakists hadn't had access to all of these staging areas.

You ask me, the real winner of the War of 3039 was Myndo Waterly and her followers. Aside from the aquisition of Anastasius Focht eventually proving her downfall, she really knocked it out of the park with this one.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #34 on: 15 June 2014, 15:15:29 »
To me, the biggest aftereffect of 3039 is one that's often overlooked: It marked the public unveiling of the Com Guards, and their eventual stationing of forces all across the Inner Sphere. Not only was this a huge win for Comstar, but once it became the new 'normal' in the populace's eyes, after the Schism it gave the Word of Blake a vast multitude of small bases in areas they had influence. I'm sure we can all agree that the Jihad would have had to follow a very different path if the Blakists hadn't had access to all of these staging areas.

You ask me, the real winner of the War of 3039 was Myndo Waterly and her followers. Aside from the aquisition of Anastasius Focht eventually proving her downfall, she really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Didn't all of those things happen before the War of 39?  I mean, they were important on how the War of 39 played out, don't get me wrong, but they weren't a result of the War of 39.  I feel like Teddy K handed over Frederick Steiner around 34 (although admittedly my date may be off, as it has been some time since I read "Heir to the Dragon"), and that the Comguards were a result of the faked attack on the Sarna HPG in the Fourth Succession War.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 16 June 2014, 05:45:51 »
Didn't all of those things happen before the War of 39?  I mean, they were important on how the War of 39 played out, don't get me wrong, but they weren't a result of the War of 39.  I feel like Teddy K handed over Frederick Steiner around 34 (although admittedly my date may be off, as it has been some time since I read "Heir to the Dragon"), and that the Comguards were a result of the faked attack on the Sarna HPG in the Fourth Succession War.

You are correct.  Frederick Steiner was handed over in 3034, prior to the Ronin War.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 16 June 2014, 08:52:53 »
The Federated Commonwealth can probably be forgiven for the intelligence failures prior to 3039 because IIRC there was a hidden war going on at the time between the FC intelligence services and Comstar's ROM.

Register