Author Topic: X-Pulse Lasers  (Read 4009 times)

Degman

• Warrant Officer
X-Pulse Lasers
« on: 02 April 2011, 06:12:05 »
SSW claims that X-PLs can be found in Total Operations, but I can't find any info about them neither there nor in TechManual.  :-[

All I know is that they offer 50% greater range for 50% more heat, but when were they introduced and by who remains a mystery to me.

Any help with the sources will be most appreciated.

Martius

• Captain
Re: X-Pulse Lasers
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2011, 06:23:16 »
X-Pulse lasers can be found on pg. 321 in TacOps.

They are an FedCom invention from the late 3050ies.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2011, 06:45:02 »
There is to my knowledge no book called "Total Operations". There is, however, Tactical Operations, which a distinct volume from the core Total Warfare one. So maybe some of the confusion stems from that?

And anyway, yes, X-pulse lasers can be found in TacOps. Page 321, to be precise, with all the relevant numerical performance and construction data in the tables on pp. 406-409 (the small X-pulse is right at the bottom of one double page, the medium and large one at the top of the next).

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2011, 07:02:40 »
Yes, I've mixed up Total Warfare (which I own) with Tactical Operations (which I don't own). I knew I'll have to get that one too eventually.

Now, the only question is should I buy a book or a pdf?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2011, 07:06:44 »
Both are pretty useful. While you will be able to take your book along and read it while you are away from your computer I also have trouble reading long texts on the computer. It is just more comfortable reading a real book.
On the other hand there is the search option of the PDF which has saved my life dozens of times (okay, not literally saved it, but I think you know what I mean).

The best option would be the print/PDF combo the battleshop offers, but if you have to chose one, I would chose the book.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2011, 07:12:57 »
The book is preferable, but it would take some 3 weeks to arrive, at least  :-\

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2011, 07:18:52 »
You can probably knock someone out with the book, that's worth waiting 3 weeks.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2011, 07:26:49 »
Yeah, plus the printing and binding would probably be uncheap

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2011, 07:55:47 »
And a few people have reported having problems getting print shops to print out BT PDFs for them.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2011, 09:06:41 »
Ahh X-pulse lasers A bit high on the heat but a good upgrade for the troubled IS pulse lasers.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2011, 16:23:32 »
On the other hand there is the search option of the PDF which has saved my life dozens of times (okay, not literally saved it, but I think you know what I mean).
Except my version of A Time of War PDF can't seem to find given word in some parts of the file. When I have copied text to text processing program, typos and extra spaces appear. For those reasons search function misses plenty of things. However if only small part of the book is required for given time, then it's best to have PDF version and print out the desired pages. Like those that involve X-Pulse Lasers.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2011, 16:44:48 »
Well, it's X-Pulse Lasers today, Angel ECM Suite tomorrow...

I have a feeling that I'll gonna need Tactical Operations more often than I've thought.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2011, 18:38:10 »
ya due to the way the reference (core) books were broken out you eventually will need most/all of them, and refer to them frequently depending on your play options

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2011, 05:50:08 »
Well, it's X-Pulse Lasers today, Angel ECM Suite tomorrow...

I have a feeling that I'll gonna need Tactical Operations more often than I've thought.

The gear is really the least impressive part of tacops (although it is cool). From Artillery to planetary conditions the book is packed full of most everything you need to play a non "vanilla" ground game. Strat Ops is worth it for Battle Force and the campaign rules if nothing else as well.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2011, 07:22:20 »
I was considering getting both Ops together, but then I would have to pay customs fees as well  [tickedoff]

Register