Author Topic: Boeing is trying to make Aerospace Fighters ... or something ...  (Read 4241 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
I cringed when the host talked about how he would like to fly in an aircraft with such a non-polluting engine... 

The detail is pretty thin but if I had to make a guess, this would be relatively long burn, low impulse drive.   Similar to an ion drive, although this may produce a bit more thrust. Whether the power to weight ratio will eat your lunch has yet to be seen.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Nuclear explosions providing thrust is NOT new invention. Perhaps real life equivalents of Drop Shuttle and Mule will operate on that principle.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity

Further proof the Internet is rotting the brains of otherwise intelligent morons and making them suitable consumers for Facebook and FarmVille-like app on their smarter-phones.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
I cringed when the host talked about how he would like to fly in an aircraft with such a non-polluting engine... 
Wonder what the carbon footprint of an fission-pulse external combustion engine is.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

snewsom2997

• Captain
Wonder what the carbon footprint of an fission-pulse external combustion engine is.

See Project Pluto, Project Orion, Project Daedalus.

Nuclear Test ban Treaties more or less prohibit any of this.

The book Footfall (Niven/Pernoulle), actually has the US build a Project Orion craft built to fight alien invaders, trying to colonize the planet.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
Wasnt an orion ship fully designed back in the 60s?  Just update that if they want a nuclear pulsejet
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

snewsom2997

• Captain
No not fully designed, the furthest they got was testing the pusher plate, which the explosion would bounce off of providing thrust. They toyed around with a soda machine type device to spit out bombs at regular intervals. No prototypes were built, nothing but some drawings, really.

Though an Orion Craft could be the bigger than a Supercarrier, and in theory a one stop colony for the moon or an asteroid.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
Further proof the Internet is rotting the brains of otherwise intelligent morons and making them suitable consumers for Facebook and FarmVille-like app on their smarter-phones.

Yep... this pretty much sums it up.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Wasnt an orion ship fully designed back in the 60s?  Just update that if they want a nuclear pulsejet
If this is even true... But it wouldn't have all that much in common with old boom-boom. This looks more like clean fusion variant of Pluto - use the fusion reaction to heat air (meaning you can build the engine to much more manageable specs than Orion which uses the plasma directly).

snewsom2997

• Captain
Orion was nuclear pulse detonation propulsion, think of it like a nuclear powered Argus Pulse Jet (V1 Propulsion). Just with a much lower frequency of pulses.

While Project Pluto replaced the fuel in a Ramjet with a nuclear heating element, however even today we would run into materials science problems, materials lightweight, capable of handling extreme heat and radiation. Lead don't fly well, and it doesn't handle heat well, Concrete wouldn't be useful either. I don't know if the materials to handle this even exist, most reactors are submerged in liquid to keep them cool. Pluto was only tested in a static installation, and I suspect with a monster cooling system to prevent the thing from melting on the test bed.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Some prelim design work was done, including estimates of multi-thousand ton ships; the nice thing with going big is that it made a much smoother ride, and the energy and specific impulse budgets were absolutely enormous.

As to why you'd never want to even consider launching one from earth, well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQCrPNEsQaY
Here's a conventional explosives-powered test model launched back in 1959 for a short trip through the air.  Proved a functional proof of concept for the engine.  Then everyone realized "we're going to set off a nuke every couple seconds" and how horribly bad an idea that was anywhere near a planet (the aurorae thank you for your donations) let alone in an atmosphere.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Are they out of there minds? There a lot of holes in this old idea made new...
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
This patent is inertial confinement fusion rocket, just with a clever enhanced RTG power source.

It is less project orion, and more project Daedalus.

Also, I'm certain the patent was meant to cover the idea of the enhanced RTG component of the concept, not the inertial confinement fusion drive itself, which was first dreamed up back in the 70's.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2015, 20:32:59 by glitterboy2098 »

Register