Poll

Which of the following would you choose and why?

BattleMaster BLR-1G (standard 3025 era model)
Banshee BNC-5S
Zeus ZEU-9S
Gunslinger GUN-1ERD

Author Topic: Need advice for a new ride!  (Read 7179 times)

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Need advice for a new ride!
« Reply #30 on: 10 April 2011, 15:11:11 »
I still say the gunslinger IMO is too slow for the lance,

marauder 4/6/0 2 ppc 1 large laser 2 medium laser
grasshopper 4/6/4

options
battlemaster 4/6/0 1x ppc, 4x medium laser, 1 srm6, and 2 mg (with 2 mediums rear)

banshee 4/6/0 1x gauss 2x erppc, srm6, 2 forward mediums 2 rear and 2 forward small lasers (replace with more gauss ammo)

zeus 4/6/0 erppc, er large laser, lrm 15, and 1 forward and rear mpl

gunslinger 3/5/2 2 gauss, 4 medium lasers front, 2 mpl rear

it doesn't sound that much slower but unless you are working your way across the river delta, or through a jungle/forest then the slinger will be faster but most of the time it has to run to keep up with the rest walking

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 10 April 2011, 16:38:10 »
I know me personally that I will be using a slightly modified Gunslinger... For this company that is being built, I am thinking the commander in a GUN and a ZEU as the bodyguard.

Thanks guys for the help.
GreyWolf.

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #32 on: 11 April 2011, 02:20:50 »
This is not "choose the best", its more of a "choose the least bad"...

The vintage Beemer will be in serious trouble on a FCCW battlefield, the Zeus and Banshee both have ammo and armor problems, and the Gunslinger is a bit too slow for the rest of the unit.
I'd probably want some of the good and classic Heavies instead, like Archer 4M and Marauder 5D.

Oh, and i suggest "downgrading" the 'Hopper to a 5H or 5N the first chance you get...

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 11 April 2011, 03:30:47 »
Why downgrade the GHR?
GreyWolf.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #34 on: 11 April 2011, 08:59:05 »
Why downgrade the GHR?

In most cases the 3025 versions are BETTER than the "upgrades."  More heat effective and better firepower in the case of the 5N.  The ER Large on the 3050 version just causes more heat issues than it gains in advantages.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #35 on: 11 April 2011, 10:29:02 »
The 5J is probably the greatest lemon of TRO3050.
It manages to take one of the best lvl1 (sorry, IntroTech) Heavies, lose a full third of its firepower, and only gain two more tons of "BOOM" for it.... [tickedoff]

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #36 on: 11 April 2011, 12:04:00 »
the Zeus is mobile, well armored, and packs a nice whollop.  if you can swap the pulse lasers for standard mediums you can increas your LRM ammunition and add another ton of armor.  still respectable from the factory floor,
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

mechwarriorgarya

• Master Sergeant
  • Commanding man and machine since '94
« Reply #37 on: 11 April 2011, 17:06:57 »
Battlemaster-1G

All my games are Succession War era, so that puts the kabosh on the the other 3 units in the poll.  ;)
One Species, One Realm - translation: Live by The League or Die by The League
Between the fall of the ancient Star League and the rise of the heirs of Steiner Davion there was an age undreamed of...

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 11 April 2011, 23:52:56 »
Zeus.  Just cuz.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 14 April 2011, 13:38:00 »
I think I will give them the BattleMaster and the Gunslinger. They were the top 2 choices in the poll... And if they want to I will allow the player to customize the Gunsliger like mentioned above to increase its jump.

Thanks guys/gals.
GreyWolf.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #40 on: 14 April 2011, 14:08:18 »
I know its a little late to the game, but my preference would be for the 5S-Banshee. I think it has the best combination of ranged firepower and maneuverability - it can run a little hot if you lay on the PPCs too much, but they have the advantage of being ammo independent. If you are allowed customization you could always drop one of the rear firing MLs for another ton of ammo, maybe switch the 2 SLs for a single SPL to protect against infantry too ...

Cheers,
LCC

EDIT: Here's a quick refit of the BNC-5S
« Last Edit: 14 April 2011, 19:39:04 by LastChanceCav »
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 14 April 2011, 14:29:08 »
That is not a bad idea for the banshee... I will have to think about those ideas too.
GreyWolf.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #42 on: 15 April 2011, 21:30:05 »
The 5J is probably the greatest lemon of TRO3050.
It manages to take one of the best lvl1 (sorry, IntroTech) Heavies, lose a full third of its firepower, and only gain two more tons of "BOOM" for it.... [tickedoff]
Oh I can think of quite a few from TRO3050 that are worse than the G-Hopper.
That said the 5J does give us one thing,  the ability to refit easily to the C model for a soso brawler/spotter.

I think I will give them the BattleMaster and the Gunslinger. They were the top 2 choices in the poll... And if they want to I will allow the player to customize the Gunsliger like mentioned above to increase its jump.
Personally I would have gone Gunslinger + Zeus.
The BMer is a nice mech in L1 and its solid at command but if you have the Guns running command with the BAP & ECM then the fluff command cockpit of the BMer is overkill.
I think the SFE Zeus with solid long range guns would make a nice fit for the lance.

I also wouldn't worry over much about the speed, its not like the Mad-Bmer-Bans-Zeus are much faster at 4/6/0.
1 Hex per turn is easily balanced by the longer ranged guns on the Guns v/s the L1 tech Mad.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2011, 21:32:04 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 15 April 2011, 21:39:35 »
if the chance was given I would go with beamer and zeus

if you can downgrade, take a banshee 3S with the gunslinger
both woulf be 3/5 but the Banshee is a beast, even at L1
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #44 on: 16 April 2011, 02:02:50 »
Third, the Zeus is a lot more unassuming than the Banshee or Battlemaster.  If I see that lance, I guarantee the Zeus is not the first thing I'd start shooting at.  If you put the commander in the B-mer, he's going to draw a lot more fire than he would in the Zeus.

Actually, the Zeus is a very tempting target.  It's got roughly triple the ranged firepower of the Battlemaster but much less armor, meaning that it can be killed dramatically easier that the Battlemaster, which robs the enemy of one of their ranged attackers.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #45 on: 16 April 2011, 16:31:09 »
Gunslinger / Banshee. Star League XT chassis for the win.

Register