Author Topic: Alpha Strike 'Mech of the Week - WHM-** Warhammer  (Read 16548 times)

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: Alpha Strike 'Mech of the Week - WHM-** Warhammer
« Reply #30 on: 13 July 2015, 20:02:43 »
How is that PV axactly calculated? Does it have multipliers for existing stuff, or is it just flat adds, possibly depending on thresholds?
Aka, will a point of armour on a 2/1/0 cost as much as a point of armour on a 3/3/3?
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 13 July 2015, 20:06:24 »
Mostly adds.  TMM has a multiplier on offensive PV.  Skill, C3 are multipliers on full PV.
There may be a couple others, but most are adds.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 13 July 2015, 20:08:51 »
How is that PV axactly calculated? Does it have multipliers for existing stuff, or is it just flat adds, possibly depending on thresholds?
Aka, will a point of armour on a 2/1/0 cost as much as a point of armour on a 3/3/3?

Armor is costed based on quantity, TMM, and mods like STL.  It has no effect on the PV of a point of damage.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Trailblazer

• Warrant Officer
    • Excaliburs Saga Campaign for MegaMek
« Reply #33 on: 13 July 2015, 21:30:46 »
I'm definitely not saying PV is an egregiously bad weighting system, let alone that it's anywhere near as bad as BV.

But I do think some types of units are better than their PV would indicate (and some are worse).  Light, fast units especially, or units with unusual abilities that are especially powerful when combined with their stats.  Take a look at the PV for LAMs, for example.  With their Airmech movement options and the corresponding defense bonus they get from speed, they're considerably better than 'Mechs of the same PV.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 14 July 2015, 04:05:37 »
I think the point of contention is that adding to a design that already has good scores on the other parts of the triangle is inherently more valuable than adding to a design that does not.
An A/S of 10/8 isn't particularly useful if all you ever do is 1 damage.
If it's 5, suddenly that armour is very valuable, but you pay the same nontheless.
As such, it seems to me that PV is weighted towards balanced designs, which I wouldn't necessarily call a flaw.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

TonUp

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 21 July 2015, 23:34:45 »
Late to the party - but great article on a personal favorite mech.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 27 July 2015, 12:08:51 »
Love this coverage. It sort of belies  the notion that Alpha Strike is a game without depth compared to CBT.

It just happens that you have to look at the bigger picture when you examine a unit.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

whistler

• Lieutenant
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
« Reply #37 on: 27 July 2015, 14:22:22 »
Great article man.  I have to say that the -9D has really caught my eye.  A little expensive but thats some nice punch to supplement a mid-weight cavalry lance.
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 27 July 2015, 14:30:55 »
Hmm, I need to add a note that the new WHM-6R is completely badass :).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets