Author Topic: Falling and Splitting Fire house rules  (Read 6712 times)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Falling and Splitting Fire house rules
« Reply #30 on: 05 August 2015, 13:17:48 »
My Spider jumping in the lake disagrees with your to-hit odds :).

Skill 3 + TMM 4 + Medium Range 2 + Partial Cover 2 = 11+.  And if there is any water or woods on the map, it will be there. 
Two Spiders fighting?  Tear my eyes out.  Since they'll both be jumping, they can't possibly hit each other at medium range/cover.  And even at short range, they still need 11+.  (Skill 3 + TMM 4 + Short Range 0 + Partial Cover/Woods 2 +Jumping 2 = 11+). 

Skill definetely helps, but sometimes you don't get to choose skill (playing a scenario with prebuilt forces, or the scenario dictates lower skill levels).  The game can't just fail because the battle is two regular skill light companies.  That should be a fairly common occurence.  Though a Spider is certainly up there as an extreme. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Garydee

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 05 August 2015, 14:03:48 »
My Spider jumping in the lake disagrees with your to-hit odds :).

Skill 3 + TMM 4 + Medium Range 2 + Partial Cover 2 = 11+.  And if there is any water or woods on the map, it will be there. 
Two Spiders fighting?  Tear my eyes out.  Since they'll both be jumping, they can't possibly hit each other at medium range/cover.  And even at short range, they still need 11+.  (Skill 3 + TMM 4 + Short Range 0 + Partial Cover/Woods 2 +Jumping 2 = 11+). 

Skill definetely helps, but sometimes you don't get to choose skill (playing a scenario with prebuilt forces, or the scenario dictates lower skill levels).  The game can't just fail because the battle is two regular skill light companies.  That should be a fairly common occurence.  Though a Spider is certainly up there as an extreme.

Are you implying that perhaps the best solution is to reduce or cap some of the modifiers in the game(besides some of your house rules)?
« Last Edit: 05 August 2015, 14:09:18 by Garydee »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 05 August 2015, 14:07:12 »
The only implication I suggested was that I was not overly concerned that lights needed protecting.   They are plenty powerful in Alpha Strike, even more so than in standard BattleTech (IMO).
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Garydee

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 05 August 2015, 14:14:48 »
The only implication I suggested was that I was not overly concerned that lights needed protecting.   They are plenty powerful in Alpha Strike, even more so than in standard BattleTech (IMO).

I don't think we're on the same frequency. I didn't imply that lights needed protecting.  :) In fact I wouldn't mind them being taken down a peg or two.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 05 August 2015, 14:26:30 »
Ah, an earlier reply did.