Author Topic: Operation NOYAN  (Read 4402 times)

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
Re: Operation NOYAN
« Reply #30 on: 29 August 2015, 01:01:11 »
I could see it, but they would have a naval battle...which would involve an arcship i'd think. Don't the Sea Fox's have their own shipyards on Tuk? not to mention whats hidden in the chain?
« Last Edit: 29 August 2015, 01:03:13 by Foxx Ital »
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #31 on: 29 August 2015, 01:28:58 »
We are all aware that a shipyard is largely empty space with a frame around it?

My money is on more Hunters and Odyssey production being extended into the naval yard as more resources become available with the touman reaching a fully upgraded state.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #32 on: 29 August 2015, 01:45:10 »
We are all aware that a shipyard is largely empty space with a frame around it?

My money is on more Hunters and Odyssey production being extended into the naval yard as more resources become available with the touman reaching a fully upgraded state.

This is more in line with what i was thinking as well.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #33 on: 29 August 2015, 01:53:21 »
I could see it, but they would have a naval battle...which would involve an arcship i'd think. Don't the Sea Fox's have their own shipyards on Tuk? not to mention whats hidden in the chain?

I believe every clan but the Wolves has shipyards with the capacity and infrastructure to support jumpship and warship production.

With Interstellar communication dependent almost entirely on jumpship traffic, that would seem the most reasonable guess. Though if they were building new Warships, that would seem a definite sign that the Bears were preparing for a major push somewhere. Such an investment of resources on something that can only be in one place at a time is not something you do lightly, especially when you're a clan that never does anything at all lightly.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 29 August 2015, 02:02:02 »
If they're building more JS to use as couriers do you think their building Explorer's, Scout's or Hunter's?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #35 on: 29 August 2015, 02:19:10 »
I'd see them concentrating on Hunters, since they're well acquainted with them. Though I also see them turning out as many larger jumpships as practical simply for the utility.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #36 on: 29 August 2015, 02:26:38 »
If they're building more JS to use as couriers do you think their building Explorer's, Scout's or Hunter's?
2703, 2712, or 2832.
Mode T, Model A, Veyron? What do you think that they will build?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 29 August 2015, 02:52:46 »
Well to get that list I went to Sarna and looked up JS, concentrating on smaller designs. The Hunter is a Ghost Bear design, but is the biggest of those listed (And thus most expensive) and carries a HPG, which is kinda useless at this point. The Scout they probably have plans for and it's lighter (And thus cheaper) and also lacks that HPG (Again reducing cost). I doubt they have the Explorer plans, but it dumps the docking collar the other two have and is the smallest design by far at almost half the weight of the Hunter, thus making it the cheapest

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 29 August 2015, 02:58:44 »
I'd be inclined to go for Merchants, since they're the smallest class with a collar (two, in fact) and a grav deck (IIRC).  Even if you only plan on using them as a pony express, extra transportation capacity is always a good thing, nobody in battletech has enough of it.  I want the grav deck for the long-term health of my crews.  Some might consider that a waste because you can generate .1G with station-keeping drives, but I think it's more efficient not to have to be constantly burning reaction mass to keep my crews healthy, and the full G of a grav deck has got to be better for you than just a tenth.  Then there's also the fact that the Merchant is the second most common jumper in human space, which might help the Watch out if they ever need to do sneaky things.  Everyone knows the Bears (or at least some Clan) are in town when a Hunter pops in, but everybody who's anybody run Merchants.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 29 August 2015, 03:26:53 »
The Scout and Hunter classes I mentioned are both smaller then the Merchant, as is the Aquilla

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #40 on: 29 August 2015, 03:37:59 »

If the Bears want to invade anyone then they will likely either build some kind of transport WS or build Odyssey-class JS (LF battery & 4 Docking Collars).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 29 August 2015, 04:20:02 »
The Scout and Hunter classes I mentioned are both smaller then the Merchant, as is the Aquilla
Yes, but neither has a grav deck, so you have to waste fuel to get any acceleration at all, and even then it's just a piddling .1G.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 29 August 2015, 06:11:13 »
Given that a JS has to do this anyway to avoid falling into the star I fail to see the problem

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #43 on: 29 August 2015, 16:42:05 »
Well to get that list I went to Sarna and looked up JS, concentrating on smaller designs. The Hunter is a Ghost Bear design, but is the biggest of those listed (And thus most expensive) and carries a HPG, which is kinda useless at this point. The Scout they probably have plans for and it's lighter (And thus cheaper) and also lacks that HPG (Again reducing cost). I doubt they have the Explorer plans, but it dumps the docking collar the other two have and is the smallest design by far at almost half the weight of the Hunter, thus making it the cheapest
I always seem to have this argument every time someone wants their faction to build a Black Lion or a Woodsman.

There are a whole heap of undocumented attributes to units in Battletech that go beyond combat stats. For example the Whirlwind has corridors too small for battle armor.

There is about 100 years between the Scout or Explorer and the Hunter.

Were I live there are some 100 year old houses. They are made out of wood rather than brick, meaning  that they are high maintenance. They have no wall cavities which makes electrical and phone systems problematic. They have semi external alcoves for wood stoves that make modern kitchens difficult. And they were designed without internal bathrooms or toilets meaning refits have had to squeeze them in somewhere over the years.

While I am not suggesting Scouts have external toilets, they were JumpShips built for the civilian market in the Star League while the Hunters were built for the military market in the Clans. Modern computers (these are referenced in various sources) and Harjel were designed into it from the start and who knows what other adjustments for Clan sensibilities exist. That is why they would be built. They are the current standard for a Clan scout JumpShip. While a Scout may be nominally cheaper in Inner Sphere eyes it comes with a number of undocumentable costs which a Clan operator would have to take into account.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #44 on: 30 August 2015, 03:40:53 »
I would also say the Hunter is more likely for many of the same logistical reasons as Jellico.  While the stock Hunter maybe designed with a HPG, nothing says it actually has to be installed though I imagine some components would be integrated into the hull.

Outside of the Hunter for communication & fast transit (which only really applies IMO if they have been building a lot and/or recharge stations), what would the common troop ship of the Bears be?  Did they get any JS production from the FRR?  Sure they could be building a new pony express communications network but it would make sense to also increase their troop transport capacity at the same time.

Or if they are not planning on rapid troop shifting and lots of logistical transport . . . they could be building more PWS to protect their own space after seeing the Mad Malvina in action and the Dracs on the offensive.  Even if they wiped out any Nova Cat refugees that made it their way, they would still have logs and data for their Watch to go over let alone reports out of the DC.  Anyone really think the Warlord would not like to get back territory that was given over to create the FRR?  Or Combine worlds the Bears still have?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Frank

• Master Sergeant
  • The True Holders Of Kerensky's Legecy
« Reply #45 on: 30 August 2015, 10:11:14 »
The two clans that have been the quietest lately. Horses now launching soem kind of operation that is poking at the Bears. And the Bears, still in hiberation awaiting something. Building up for something. [tickedoff] [tickedoff]

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #46 on: 30 August 2015, 10:33:50 »
The two clans that have been the quietest lately. Horses now launching soem kind of operation that is poking at the Bears. And the Bears, still in hiberation awaiting something. Building up for something. [tickedoff] [tickedoff]

The Bears are always building up, but it's never for some external campaign of conquest.  The Bears may be devastating when woken up, but they're reactive, not proactive.  The Bears didn't plan to join the campaign against the Blakists.  They were effectively blackmailed into it by Stone's use of Chandy's findings of connections between the Blakists and Wolverines.  The Bears didn't plan to practically annihilate the Nova Cats.  They were forced into it after multiple insults.  The Bears didn't plan to take over the Vega Prefecture.  It basically fell into their lap thanks to a rogue galaxy and circumstance.

That could all change with a change in leadership.  But historically, the Bears are too inwardly focused to plan an external campaign of conquest.

I'd say the same largely applies to the Horses, except they're foolhardy enough to get caught up in other Clans' (Falcons') campaigns of conquest.

To be clear, I love both the Bears and Horses.  I just wish they were more proactive and aggressive like barbarian techno-hordes should be and like their cousin Clans (Wolf, Falcon, Raven, and certain Fox/Shark elements) are.

My 2 Kerenskies... YMMV.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Register