Author Topic: TECHNICAL: Forum issues?  (Read 4955 times)

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
TECHNICAL: Forum issues?
« on: 29 May 2015, 03:19:46 »
Is anyone else having forum issues? It seems to be running like it's on dial up.

I am not having issues with any other websites or forums, so I don't think it's a problem at my end.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2015, 19:50:05 by Knightmare »
Be Pure. Be Vigilant. Behave!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Forum issues?
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2015, 03:50:13 »
Every now and then. And yes, very much stuff that seems to be limited to this site. Slow loading, not loading at all, when everything else works out fine.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2015, 04:32:11 »
It happens on occasion.  Just tough it out and go without us for a few hours.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2015, 07:47:37 »
I think I can explain. Once in a while we get ex-WoBM resistance cells that try to disrupt the servers. Something about 'stopping us from tainting the sainted Blake's vision with heresy and lies' or something like that, I don't know, I don't really pay attention to them when they get all rant-y. Anyhow, it's like any pest infestation, you have to go in and deal with the problem. That's why the site has so many moderators- we go through a lot of them trying to clear these guys out of the server room. Usually we just assign the newbies a previously used screen name- did you know we're actually on Moonsword #7 now? Hell, I'm JadeHellbringer Mk.XIII. But, sacrifice for the greater cause, you know?

We'll have the place running again in now time, until then I'm heading down into the pit. I hope they didn't put down claymores this time, those things sting like all hell. Where's that SMG...
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2015, 07:55:00 »
The site's slow?  Hey, it could be MUCH worse.  Many of you weren't here for the Wombat outages of the early years.  Wobblies are a walk in the park compared to a full-fledged Wombat rampage.  What do you guys think did in the Hellbie Mk. III and Mk. IV models, not to mention some of the mods that weren't regenerated.  There just wasn't enough left after the Chili Inferno IIC was finished with them.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2015, 06:45:59 »
I've been authorized to report....

BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2015, 07:32:20 »
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2015, 10:43:07 »
When I signed up I got lucky, I requested the handle "cold" reckon I was the first to request it.

And yeah I mostly check in from my smart phone and the site is typically very slow during EST weekday 9-5 type hours.

To the patient go the spoils

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2015, 11:58:51 »
I think CGL is just making it all up cuz they don't want to retire the old GEnie servers and the original multi-player BattleTech online game ;) Kinda hard to run the site and the MMO off an ancient server ya know  ;D

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2015, 12:12:17 »
I think CGL is just making it all up cuz they don't want to retire the old GEnie servers and the original multi-player BattleTech online game ;) Kinda hard to run the site and the MMO off an ancient server ya know  ;D

It's why Deathshadow had to retire. He burned his hands too many times on the vacuum tubes.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2015, 17:18:46 »
I thought it was radiation sickness from the old CRTs?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2015, 17:27:08 »
I thought it was radiation sickness from the old CRTs?

CRTs? Ha! No, all they have is a single 4" oscilloscope.

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
Re: TECHNICAL: Forum issues?
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2015, 07:34:51 »
I thought the updates were supposed to remedy this issue. Still slow  :'(

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2015, 16:24:30 »
I thought the updates were supposed to remedy this issue. Still slow  :'(

Hi Wikkid. Try refreshing your browser. I was making some quick changes. It was likely slowing down server response.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2015, 16:29:45 »
Hi Wikkid. Try refreshing your browser. I was making some quick changes. It was likely slowing down server response.

TBH, it's been the same for the last couple of days for me. Cleared browser history, cookies, reset browser etc etc.

C'est la vie.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #15 on: 16 September 2015, 17:26:15 »
TBH, it's been the same for the last couple of days for me. Cleared browser history, cookies, reset browser etc etc.

C'est la vie.

What theme are you using?

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2015, 05:32:51 »
What theme are you using?

PC, iPad and an Android phone.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2015, 07:07:15 »
Theme though? BT, BT Factions, Core, Curve?

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2015, 09:57:36 »
Theme though? BT, BT Factions, Core, Curve?

Forum default.

Getting 404 errors off google searches that link the forum too.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #19 on: 17 September 2015, 13:49:00 »
The google errors are probably due to them having the pretty link names indexed rather than the by the message ID that is currently used.

Quick question: the phone, does it behave the same if it is on the cell data plan and WiFi or is it just when you are on WiFi? (trying to eliminate your ISP as the source of the slowdown. (I had that recently with a CSO problem.)

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #20 on: 17 September 2015, 14:22:24 »
Forum default.

Getting 404 errors off google searches that link the forum too.

The forum default is factions, which is pretty lightweight. Hmm...

Google should be reindexing as we speak. We resubmitted to them last week.

Wikkid

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 18 September 2015, 01:40:42 »
The google errors are probably due to them having the pretty link names indexed rather than the by the message ID that is currently used.

Quick question: the phone, does it behave the same if it is on the cell data plan and WiFi or is it just when you are on WiFi? (trying to eliminate your ISP as the source of the slowdown. (I had that recently with a CSO problem.)

My mobile phone data plan is bad generally and all forums regularly crash on it (I really need a new phone). The only time I use my phone is when I can access broadband with it.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 08 October 2015, 11:52:13 »
I have been having issues recently (the last week or so) with it getting insanely slow to respond with a lot of timeouts and site not responding issues especially when I get home after work (~1-3am pacific time)  and I am using the faction orange template atm.

last night I used http://www.sitestatus.net/ and it was claiming:

Attention:

There seems to be a problem with bg.battletech.com. We are not able to connect to the web site. The specific error is: 500 Can't connect to bg.battletech.com:80 (timeout)

at the same time I was having issues.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #23 on: 08 October 2015, 15:17:42 »
There has long been some kind of server maintenance that runs circa 1am PST. You will experience an inability to connect for a good 15-20 minutes around that time, and some slowness for a while after.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #24 on: 12 October 2015, 09:02:16 »
There has long been some kind of server maintenance that runs circa 1am PST. You will experience an inability to connect for a good 15-20 minutes around that time, and some slowness for a while after.
Which is probably the overflowing server logs backing up, JUST like what was killing us before I killed off the custom themes.

Given what trash the front-end code is, I'd not be surprised if the back end code is flooding the logs daily. Seriously, go into /var/logs and have a good hard look.

Though a LOT of software is now silently throwing hordes of errors as new versions of PHP finally make insecure outdated methodologies and redundancies invalid, obsolete, or just flat out no longer supported. The upgrade to php 5.4 caused a lot of problems, and between 5.5, 5.6 and the "hey mysql_ functions go take a flying leap" release candidate for PHP 7 (skipping 6 entirely) things are about to get very interesting... since 90% of existing PHP software won't run under 7.

Sometimes it's just simple stuff too... PHP 3 used to return null and not log an error if you called a variable without checking isset first - along comes PHP 4 and all that was invalid and threw errors. PHP 5 removed a lot of redundancies logging "warnings" and in later versions "errors" on simple stuff.

Every time you upgrade PHP now you have to go through and make sure any older existing software isn't tossing it's cookies all over the place. ADMITTEDLY it's simplifying the language and encouraging more secure practices, but at the same time it can be a real pain in the backside.

We're probably gonna see the nonsense practice of running PHP 5 alongside PHP 7 coming into bloom pretty soon - just like people were doing with PHP 4 and 5.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2015, 09:29:16 by deathshadow »
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Register