Author Topic: Transporting Infantry under Errata v2.2  (Read 2025 times)

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
Transporting Infantry under Errata v2.2
« on: 11 July 2016, 23:02:05 »
**Disclaimer**  Not trying to challenge the system here, but I've run into a few trouble spots with the new Errata [v2.2], specifically the change in the rules for infantry mounting/dismounting.

[ I was pretty content with the previous errata: Infantry spent 2" to "mount" and the Transport spent 2" to deploy.  The previous rules went over really well with my peers with little confusion or complaining. ]
[ I'm looking for clarity/reassurance that these new changes will be equally understood and accepted.  Examples are welcome; positive feedback/acknowledgements preferred. ]

1)  Movement Declaration.
Now that Infantry no longer spend their own MP (inches) to mount a transport, When do we declare their movement type?  At the time of "pickup" (on the Transport's turn)?  On their own turn during Initiative Declaration?

2) Initiative Participation/Absence
Normally, My group counts individual Infantry units not mounted as part of the Initiative Order.  What happens to their place in the Order if they are picked up prior to their activation that turn?
Do they lose their place or otherwise forfeit their turn?  or Do I get a "free pass" and declare them moved in the Order? (sort of like declaring Standstill or Immobile units)
Do I still get to declare their Movement for the turn despite not getting to move later? (assuming Infantry still do not get to "move" the turn they are dropped off from a transport, whether they wanted to move or not)

3) Anytime/Anywhere Pickup
If the infantry cannot reach the transport to mount that turn, can the transport mount Infantry at any time during the Transport's Movement?  (so long as the movement is legal).
For example: Infantry Unit is 6" away from a Transport with 16" of movement.  Transport moves 6", spends 2" to pick  up the infantry, then moves its remaining 8" (16 - 6 - 2) from previous spot.

4) Double Move
I also noticed during my field test of the new errata that I could use my infantry to block an appropriately sized corridor (1" wide pass), to keep opponents out... only to have my dedicated transport to swing by, pick up the Infantry, and then move them a good distance away and redeploy (behind the safety of cover).  While I can recognize the boon of this maneuver, it somehow feels wrong and inappropriate to make a "double move".

Fixed an error on my end.

Am I interpreting the changes right in this regard? 

~Bishop
« Last Edit: 13 July 2016, 11:38:04 by GoldBishop »
"Watch the man-made-lightning fly!"  -RaiderRed

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
Re: Transporting Infantry under Errata v2.2
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2016, 13:08:00 »
#3 infantry can only be embarked at the beginning of the transport's movement and disembarked at the end of the transport's movement. That part of the rules have not been changed.

#4 The transport cannot move prior to picking up the passengers. This doesn't work as described.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2016, 01:14:11 »
I messed up when compiling the errata.  We're hashing it all out now.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2016, 11:36:58 »
#3 infantry can only be embarked at the beginning of the transport's movement and disembarked at the end of the transport's movement. That part of the rules have not been changed.

#4 The transport cannot move prior to picking up the passengers. This doesn't work as described.

Agreed.  Looking back, I see that I omitted the wrong "second paragraph", so I've re-errata'd my errata. ;)  That part is clearer now.

It was brought up that, since the "drop off" is free, why couldn't the Infantry be deposited anywhere along the movement of the transport?  [This question is rhetorical since the adherence to the original rule isn't a problem]

I messed up when compiling the errata.  We're hashing it all out now.

No one to blame, Xotl -  I'm just trying to make sure I have the right of it and was looking for feedback/experience.

Pre-Errata: my group does not allow any units without a declared movement to participate in the Initiative Sequence.  This included hidden units (elective) and mounted infantry (because they could not move after being deployed).  It helps speed up game and prevent the "soft-cheat" Initiative Soak, particularly for those of us who normally field infantry [Opponent moves, declare non-movement, rinse/repeat]

We previously used the Infantry's MP cost (to mount) as the declared movement (units counted in Init), so now that there's no cost for them to mount, we're left wondering What was so broken about the current [previous] method that it required fixing?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2016, 12:36:33 »
Errata will be updated in the errata thread shortly.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2016, 13:04:18 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

GoldBishop

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2016, 13:17:38 »
I saw it... then it disappeared lol