Author Topic: Top 5 best Christmas Classics  (Read 2048 times)

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
Top 5 best Christmas Classics
« on: 11 December 2017, 01:13:04 »
What are your top 5 X-mas classics?  You can include ones that are your guilty pleasures as well (I'm not gonna judge)
I'm gonna lay some ground rules:
-If it's a Christmas Carol film, please specify which one's your personal favorite
-They have to be from the 2000s (not 2010+), 90s, 80s, or earlier
-They have to be films/movies because it would be redundant if you include x-mas episodes of various TV shows since this thread is about X-mas films (either made for TV or Theatrical)
And most importantly
-Don't judge anyone's opinion about their x-mas guilty pleasures

Y'all good?  Let's get started

5. Jingle All The Way- why is it in my #5 slot?  It's technically my only x-mas guilty pleasure.  Sure it is stupid but IMO, it's a fun kind of stupid.  I was a 90s kids (even though I was born in 1989).  The sequel was garbage as far as I heard.  And of course the most famous Arnold Schwarzenegger line from the movie "Put that cookie down... NOW!"

4. Christmas Carol starring *ahem* Sir Patrick Stewart or The Mickey Mouse one- (we've got a legit tie in this one, I know it's a cop out but I have to choose which one that's my favorite)  Even though I was first exposed to the Christmas Carol by the Mickey Mouse version when I was a kid (and I loved it no matter what.  Nothing wrong with that).  The Patrick Stewart was a pretty good take on the story, and I do enjoy it from beginning to end.  If I have to pick one of the two.  I choose the Mickey Mouse one :P

3.  How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the animated one)- It has very good animation, a nice, colorful atmosphere, great voice work, and music.  I do like Max's personality in this one, it's just so.. adorable.  I know there's a live action version of it, but I personally prefer the animated one over the live action one.  IMO, the Whos are rather creepy looking, trying to translate Dr. Seuss animation to live action doesn't seem to work for me, but the costume design for Jim Carey's Grinch does look pretty cool I have to admit despite the flaws (all opinion based, folks).  I simply don't care for the live action one, if you like it, like it.  I'm not gonna judge.  I just personally prefer the animated one

2. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation- This one is rather funny.  There are a lot of subtle things you never knew (or you knew already) in this flick, for example, while they're eating the turkey, they flick the piece from the fork and pretends to eat it because it was bitter.  The son was played by the guy who played Leonard (forgot the actor's name, I'll look it up on IMDB) in the TV show, Big Bang Theory (which I loved).  Man the cast has been to different movies and shows, too.

Before I get to #1 here are my quick follow ups:
-Home Alone, a great classic and perfect timing on the slapstick humor
-The Rankin/Bass specials, sure they are strange but they're part of my childhood.  Man that stop-motion Yeti was pretty cheap, but what do you expect? :P  If I have to pick one I pick Santa Claus is coming to town
-The Sana Claus starring Tim Allen, I did see it so many times as a kid.  It's pretty decent IMO

1. A Christmas Story- I do love the humor in this film especially the line "You'll shoot your eye out, kid".  I really like the humorous fantasies that Ralphie thinks of.  I couldn't think of anything to say but, I loved it.  I do remember seeing parts of it as a kid.  But several years ago I saw it from A to Z.  Sure there are so many Christmas products based on this flick.  The sequel was terrible, blasphemous, and unnecessary.  The trailer for Christmas Story 2 has so many downvotes on youtube, yikes.  All in all Christmas Story 1 will always be my #1 classic

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: Top 5 best Christmas Classics
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2017, 02:26:47 »
Die Hard.

Someone had to say it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2017, 03:22:05 »
I don't have a favorite Xmas moviem but I do have two that I can't bear to watch and they are Elf (I loathe Will Ferrell) and A Christmas Story (TBS' fault as they do an all day marathon every Xmas)
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2017, 19:50:53 »
Hmm...in no particular order:

Scrooged
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
It's a Wonderful Life
and probably Mickey's Christmas Carol...

Now, if we were to talk about favorite Christmas songs, my top two would be "The Twelve Pains of Christmas" and Weird Al's "The Night Santa Went Crazy"...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2017, 20:04:01 »
Top 3 favorites in chronological order

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
Christmas Story (1983)
Bad Santa  (2003)

Everything else is a giant 100 way tie for 4th

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2017, 20:40:15 »
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
Penuts Christmas
Scrooged.

Those are my top 3.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2017, 21:34:25 »
Muppet Christmas Carol.  C'mon, it has Michael Caine in it.

The Christmas Toy

And i'll toss in the classic stop motion Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2017, 23:17:53 »
Muppet Christmas Carol.  C'mon, it has Michael Caine in it.

Apparently it was one of Caine's most enjoyable movie experiences as an actor.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2017, 23:43:44 »
Muppet Christmas Carol and Nightmare Before Christmas.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2017, 00:22:59 »
Santa Clause Conquers the Martians

MST3K version, of course
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 12 December 2017, 03:36:36 »
Santa Clause Conquers the Martians

MST3K version, of course
I actually prefer the other one, Mexican Santa Uses Merlin's Help To Shoot Satan In The *** With A Toy Howitzer No Really This Is A Thing The Movie

That or Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny, because to hell with brain cells.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2017, 14:27:02 »
I don't have a favorite Xmas moviem but I do have two that I can't bear to watch and they are Elf (I loathe Will Ferrell) and A Christmas Story (TBS' fault as they do an all day marathon every Xmas)
True.. The latter, has been SO overplayed i have grown SICK of it..

For me..
Home alone (the original)
Santa Clause
Jingle all the way
Die hard
Preacher's wife
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Register