Author Topic: Dark Age Atlas  (Read 1788 times)

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
Dark Age Atlas
« on: 28 March 2018, 13:59:44 »
Hello all,

So one of my projects is to paint up the uniques from MWDA using IWM minis. Although most of these factions are now "obsolete" it's still a fun project! Was a DA style Atlas ever done by IWM, or are there any plans to do one? This would have been the "first" iteration from the early sets. I'm thinking no, but I could have always missed something!

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Dark Age Atlas
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2018, 14:19:51 »
I don't think that one got done- the later 'hockey goalie' Atlas was done though, and looks fantastic.

The previous 'spikey' version though, yeah, may have to doctor up an Atlas II or something.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2018, 15:21:02 »
The hockey mask atlas from the DA can be found as the Atlas III in the IWM catalog

the maximum punk rock look with the spikes does not have a mini though it does have (modified) art in TRO 3085

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2018, 16:01:34 »
I kitbashed the HAG version from the metal mini. Haven't decided on a paint scheme yet though. For some reason it just doesn't feel like an Atlas to me.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2018, 18:13:25 »
If your going for a spikey Atlas, I would aim for the Heavy Metal Atlas

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2018, 09:00:23 »
I can deal with a TRO 3085 variant, since I can mod it if I need to. But I'm assuming that has never been made either; are there any plans for it I may have missed? Is this something that can be fan financed, & if so, how would one go about proposing one?

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2018, 09:13:09 »
The Atlas II is probably the closest you'll get: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6508

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2018, 09:25:20 »
I can deal with a TRO 3085 variant, since I can mod it if I need to. But I'm assuming that has never been made either; are there any plans for it I may have missed? Is this something that can be fan financed, & if so, how would one go about proposing one?

Damon.

There hasn't been a new fan financing project in a while, but they haven't been accepting general request for some time. But generally the way it's been done recently is the prospective financiers are given a list of minis that have been proposed, and they vote on which they'd like to see.  The winner of the poll is opened up to financing first, and then the next most popular and so on.

Last year the list of minis were ones that had been 3D rendered in advance by a couple of the regular sculptors.  In the prior year or two the list was generated by asking people what they'd like to see.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2018, 09:31:17 »

Damon.

You are correct, the TRO 85 variant has not seen a mini - though that doesn’t mean it won’t. The Spider and Wolfhound reskins have minis. The reseen mkii are also getting some sculpts. Whether or not the ‘85 variants of the Atlas or Panther get a look is yet to be seen.

Fan funded items are generally voted on and we still have a few in the docket from last time so who knows if we’ll see a 2018 poll. I know people have privately funded sculpts when IWM has a production opening. I think the going rate for mechs is $800 but you’d have to talk to them privately for more info.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2018, 13:06:21 »
I made this fairly reasonable substitute:

Standard nuplastic body, arms from a MW:DA Arbalest, and tusks from a DA Harvester's cutting wheel. Chose not to do the shoulder spikes, but wouldn't be hard. Other arms might well work too. The nuplastic Atlas is a little lanky for my taste, and I often remove a slice above the knee, but in this use it was just right.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2018, 13:26:30 »
I will never cease to be amazed at how you do that.

(Also, assuming the '85 Atlas ever does get a sculpt, here's hoping the sculptor throws in extra parts to add those spiky pauldrons and such.)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2018, 14:07:55 »
I'm not the greatest painter - CSO and others are way ahead.
I'm not the greatest kitbasher - I have a soft spot for Siberian Troll, who kitbashes his own power tools, and there are many others.
But I do like to think I have a good eye for shapes.

(and a gallon or two of DA minis, which if they can't directly be used on a BT map, are the most wonderful source of bitz.)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2018, 14:55:26 »
But I do like to think I have a good eye for shapes.

You do seem to have an eye for it.

(and a gallon or two of DA minis, which if they can't directly be used on a BT map, are the most wonderful source of bitz.)

For all scales, no less.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Register