Author Topic: Solid State  (Read 3729 times)

Easy

• Warrant Officer
Solid State
« on: 14 January 2019, 17:27:18 »
 8) A contemporary SSD storage device is not a hard disk, nor does it have a drive.

...and you want how much for this?

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Solid State
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2019, 18:12:59 »
<official mod mode> Did you mean to reply to something else? Otherwise, could you clarify? This doesn't make sense.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2019, 18:17:40 »
8) A contemporary SSD storage device is not a hard disk, nor does it have a drive.

...and you want how much for this?
technically you are correct, in practical terms you couldn't be more wrong.

a SSD is in many ways a "thumb drive" just in a different package and as far as drives are concerned they are an interface option for the computer (and users convenience)

part of the setup process of storage devices is to configure and "mount" the drive, this is where you inform the OS that there is a storage device connected where it is and how to access (use) it. 

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2019, 18:34:37 »
Hold up for a sec GD.  8) is BB emoji, but it's also eighth in a list. I want to clarify intent here before letting the thread go forward. I can prune this sidebar later if need be.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2019, 19:40:39 »
Around here theyre treated like a hard disk since for all intents and purposes they arent portable like thumb drives so everyone call them SSD hard disks.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2019, 20:01:18 »
<official mod mode> Did you mean to reply to something else? Otherwise, could you clarify? This doesn't make sense.

Only a conversation starter. Random off-topic observation about how legacy labels can be somewhat sticky. I bought a 240G SSD to replace the 500G mechanical drive in my convertable laptop. 4X the access speeds is worth 240G, full stop. Some games are even now possible. :)

Installing it, though, I couldn't help but notice the progression of labels, on the box, on the drive, in the control panel, in the manual, printed on the laptop itself...they don't all match. There are about three different terms or phrases for the same physical object and it's role in the operating system.

I expect that another generation will correct this.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2019, 20:19:58 »
Ok, just needed to make sure.

And for what it's worth, the save icon will be around for a very long time.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2019, 21:49:49 »

Alright, I chuckled ;D

Bought a word processing laptop for work last year, made the decision to go SSD, and DAMN if it isn't worth every penny; even at entry level it's faster, lighter, lower battery consumption for only about twice the price of a HDD

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2019, 04:11:48 »
to be honest I splurged on my new gaming desktop when I built it.

current specs are:
I7 8700
motherboard is asus TUF plus gaming Z370
2x Corsair CMR32GC4M2C3200C16
thermaltake SMART series 500 W power supply
Thermaltake F31 Silencer case
LG blueray R/W drive
1 Samsung SSD 970 Pro 512 GB M.2 drive
1 Samsung SSD 970 Pro 1TB m.2 drive
1 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB 2.5 sata 6
1 HGST HDN726040ALE614 4TB 7200 rpm hard drive
note I am going to move my other HGST 4TB 7200 drive from my old desktop, and also migrate the  Gforce gtx 1080 from my old pc to the new one.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2019, 06:30:11 »

Only a conversation starter. Random off-topic observation about how legacy labels can be somewhat sticky. I bought a 240G SSD to replace the 500G mechanical drive in my convertable laptop. 4X the access speeds is worth 240G, full stop. Some games are even now possible. :)

Installing it, though, I couldn't help but notice the progression of labels, on the box, on the drive, in the control panel, in the manual, printed on the laptop itself...they don't all match. There are about three different terms or phrases for the same physical object and it's role in the operating system.

Highly unlikely that another generation will correct this, separate internal storage within a computer will have to go before the term "drive" loses meaning. The term "Laptop", however, is even better than "drive". It mostly derived from a joke that came about from the original marketing glossy about the first computer you could fit on your lap. The response was along the lines of it's a laptop if you have a lap like Schwarzenegger! Thus the name stuck, history is replete with such entertaining anecdotes.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2019, 15:47:42 »
Yeah, I remember seeing one in the late 80s . . . it was a frigging suitcase.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2019, 16:15:28 »

Funny you mention that. The 8 bit guy just published a history piece about the initial Compaq (and Hyperion) IBM clone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEMhpInIACk

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2019, 16:19:57 »
i've had a terrible track record with flash memory in the past, but i do have to admit i'm impressed enough with where it is now that i'd relegate my hard drives to storage for data i don't intend to use often or low-priority stuff like image albums these days. if i could afford to, that is.

Gonna keep some conventional hard drives in an external enclosure for backups though.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2019, 16:32:12 »
My usual setup is HDD for storage and SSD for OS and install drive. If the latter fails, then I still have my most important data and can reconstitute the rest of the system.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2019, 16:35:40 »
I have a terabyte SSD on my newest desktop PC (from year ago) and it's great: from start to Windows 10 desktop in 10 seconds or so. About the same with tablet and laptop I have used lately. Prices are coming crashing down: that 1 TB drive cost me 349 € in December of 2017, now same manufacturer (Samsung) has replacement model for 169 €.

Gonna keep some conventional hard drives in an external enclosure for backups though.
I have external HDDs with USB plugs for that. Over 10 years ago 1 terabyte drive cost me 99 €, nowadays those go for half of that.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2019, 16:38:02 »
i've had a terrible track record with flash memory in the past, but i do have to admit i'm impressed enough with where it is now that i'd relegate my hard drives to storage for data i don't intend to use often or low-priority stuff like image albums these days. if i could afford to, that is.

Is a fireproof NAS enclosure worth it?

Orin J.

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2019, 17:12:41 »
Is a fireproof NAS enclosure worth it?

honestly, YMMV. I had one of those (at least it SAID it was fireproof but the house never burned down) and i replaced it with a much cheaper external drive after giving it away to a friend starting a business out of town. if you want to have it ready to take archives at any time rather than my current "i don't make anything important enough to justify keeping this thing anywhere but in a little safe anyways" plan, say business records purposes, i'd say the peace of mind is considerable.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2019, 18:07:42 »
Cloud storage, accept no substitutes.

I've lost enough drives to learn this the hard way.

I'm sure some of you are old enough to remember mobile phones the size of suitcases.

Orin J.

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2019, 22:49:02 »
I'm sure some of you are old enough to remember mobile phones the size of suitcases.
See, that's just silly. Have the phone built into your car! nothing could be more convenient! The height of mobile communications, right there!

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2019, 23:58:01 »

Remember, of course I remember. My first job as a cadet road maintenance engineer back in 1994 had me lugging one of those around as part of the job (usually left it in the backseat footwell of the car as we drove around between worksites). It sort of looked like this:

The engineers had the then brand new motorola handheld mobile phones (similar to the one on the left below), the technical officers had the older motorola bricks (the one on the right below). As the cadet, I got back-up mobile phone which was the suitcase.

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 16 January 2019, 10:10:56 »
Say what you will, they built those bricks to survive . . . my father lost one from the roof of the SUV doing 70+ on the freeway.  Heard the noise as the wind finally moved it, pulled over, walked back to where it landed . . . leather case was shredded from skidding down the road, he picked it up and called the office saying he was going to be a bit late.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #21 on: 16 January 2019, 11:44:17 »
Funny you mention that. The 8 bit guy just published a history piece about the initial Compaq (and Hyperion) IBM clone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEMhpInIACk
Another video about portable Commodore 64
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 16 January 2019, 12:25:49 »

The term "logbook" and the verb "to log" both throw back to the age of sail, when sailors would use a "chip log" to measure the ship's speed.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #23 on: 16 January 2019, 13:23:48 »
English has a LOT of age of sail terms that entered the common vernacular and most people have no clue what they mean-

'to the bitter end'

'above board'

'batten down the hatches'

'between the Devil & deep blue sea'

'clean bill of health'

'cut of his jib'

'Davy Jones locker'

'Dead in the water'

'dead reckoning'

'Devil to pay'

'figurehead'

'jury rig'

'know the ropes'

'loggerhead' as in at loggerheads

'lookout'

'over a/the barrel'

'pipe down'

'pooped'

'safe harbor/haven'

'Shanghaied'

'skeleton crew'

'squared away'

'stowaway'

'taken aback'

'taking the wind out of his sails'

'tattle tale'

'three sheets to the wind'

'toe the line'  also comes from soldiers, this one got me as a kid and I about laughed when it was explained in Basic

'touch and go'

'under the weather'

'under way'

'working up'

Listed but not really sure

'as the crow flies'

'bumpkin'

'dressing down'

'way laid'

I am sure there are more when you start getting into some of the whaling vs merchant vs navy specifics.  It would also be interesting to see if the terms are more coastal or if they have permeated the vocabulary with modern media/culture consolidating and stabilizing the language/vocabulary.

To return to the OP, since technical terms from the Age of Sail have not disappeared from our vocabulary . . . I think hard/disc drive will be around.
Colt Ward

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2019, 13:30:40 »
For example more than half the Shakespeare library is embedded in our language.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 28 January 2019, 13:33:17 »
Another video about portable Commodore 64
I had one of them, and learned to play Elite on it.  Came close to be an Elite before i fried the power supply, almost might have taken 2+ weeks off from school to play.   I thought I was the only one to own them.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register