Author Topic: JumpShip of the...Month (Oct. 2020): Conestoga Transport JumpShip  (Read 8313 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: JumpShip of the...Month (Oct. 2020): Conestoga Transport JumpShip
« Reply #30 on: 08 November 2020, 23:07:44 »
You guys complaining about flaws in construction problems with early WS should note that the rules haven't gotten better, Primitive JS should not be using a 95% KF Drive fraction, yet they do.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #31 on: 08 November 2020, 23:17:26 »
You guys complaining about flaws in construction problems with early WS should note that the rules haven't gotten better, Primitive JS should not be using a 95% KF Drive fraction, yet they do.

Kindly point out which published Primitive JumpShip uses a 95% KF drive fraction.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 08 November 2020, 23:54:24 »
To my knowledge, none, but according to the rules, they can. Although I suppose all WS designed in this timeframe that use a 47.5% fraction could count.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 09 November 2020, 03:46:30 »
To my knowledge, none, but according to the rules, they can. Although I suppose all WS designed in this timeframe that use a 47.5% fraction could count.

WarShips by definition use Compact Core or Subcompact Core KF Drives, which are either 45.25% or 50% vessel mass, and have ranges of up to 30 LY/jump.

Primitive JumpShips use Primitive KF Drives that have a baseline mass of 5% + 3%/LY of range, with a minimum of 15 LY of range, thus 50% vessel mass minimum.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #34 on: 09 November 2020, 07:25:08 »
Certainly opens up the possibility of weak WarShips having existed prior to Dreadnought.  Lord knows it would be nice a plasuable to have other nation states using them in limited numbers to protect their interests or leading assaults. Not like there would be alot of them.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 09 November 2020, 08:41:05 »
The Mingo was a nice bonus I hope we see more DropShuttles though I won't count on it
We have a number of Dropshuttles named already. But the stats we got with the purported Dropshuttles are for DropShips, so probably refits/upgrades of the original Dropshuttle designs. The MUL doesn't even have a section for Dropshuttles, and lumps them in with DropShips even where it's anachronistic.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 09 November 2020, 14:48:30 »
Certainly opens up the possibility of weak WarShips having existed prior to Dreadnought.  Lord knows it would be nice a plasuable to have other nation states using them in limited numbers to protect their interests or leading assaults. Not like there would be alot of them.

They undoubtedly did, though they would've been "warships", rather than "WarShips".

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #37 on: 10 November 2020, 08:35:52 »
They undoubtedly did, though they would've been "warships", rather than "WarShips".
Sadly, i don't think they did in sense we'd like to see them.  Liam's Ghost has some nice and balanced ones that makes sense. I just don't see CGL endorsing anything but something like Saturn Patrol Ship since in my opinion they don't want to risk unbalancing things or have "PEACETECH" each time new warship in number appears.  xp

The Conestoga is nice addition to canon universe at least.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #38 on: 10 November 2020, 11:08:31 »

"combat jumpships" (which is how i would class them) certainly existed, given we have armed jumpships, and the dreadnought had to have been built to fight *something*. giving those primitive jumpships plenty of guns makes them combat craft.
personally i'd just rule that combat jumpships are built using the primitive jumpship rules, and historically did not mount capital scale weapons. you can do a lot with standard AC's and lasers after all.
this would help keep the dreadnought as "the first warship" regardless of capitalization.. not only was it using the first true compact core but it also was the first mobile platform to mount capital scale (and thus longer ranged and hard hitting) weaponry, making it immediately superior to all combat craft that came prior.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 10 November 2020, 14:19:11 »
The Aegis, the Cruiser and the Athena class are all based on warship program studies that date as far back as the 22nd Century.  Very clearly, in universe the idea of putting capital weapons on primitive core JumpShips had been thought about, the rules clearly permit them, naval autocannons predate compact KF drives by a century and had to be mounted on *something*, so the idea that there weren't capital-armed primitive JumpShips prior to the Dreadnought seems silly to me.

We have stats to exactly two primitive core JumpShips: one of the earliest and one common Hegemony era transport, both of which are meant to be somewhat representative of their eras, but hardly the only ones built during those periods.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #40 on: 10 November 2020, 17:52:13 »
The Aegis, the Cruiser and the Athena class are all based on warship program studies that date as far back as the 22nd Century.  Very clearly, in universe the idea of putting capital weapons on primitive core JumpShips had been thought about, the rules clearly permit them, naval autocannons predate compact KF drives by a century and had to be mounted on *something*, so the idea that there weren't capital-armed primitive JumpShips prior to the Dreadnought seems silly to me.

We have stats to exactly two primitive core JumpShips: one of the earliest and one common Hegemony era transport, both of which are meant to be somewhat representative of their eras, but hardly the only ones built during those periods.
I feel like this as well.  Having primitive combat Jumpships for all factions would balance things including Terran Alliance. Having no compact kf drives no sails or limited numbers would be fine. I wish CGL would AT LEAST give us this.  Dont worry about art just give us the canon stats. Give large numbers classes not 1 perfaction.  Give Hegemony actual war fight.  Oh well.

I'm still grateful the Conestoga Transport JumpShip was allowed to be made.