Author Topic: cheap dirtbag Planetary Militia - 3025  (Read 5262 times)

Dave Talley

• Major
Re: cheap dirtbag Planetary Militia - 3025
« Reply #30 on: 04 August 2021, 20:36:32 »
weren't RLs retconned to be available way earlier?
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #31 on: 04 August 2021, 20:55:52 »
We're mostly making fun of the edge case presented by Battletech's costing system and some edge cases.

That said, a lot of the cost of aircraft is certification and other safety and regulatory compliance measures because in non-Battletech, life isn't cheap.

In BT though, life *is* cheap. I wouldn't assume something like an F-86 or MiG-15 would be more complicated than say... an AC/20 or an LRM's feed system.

Or you know... Ferrets with RL10s instead of their cargo bay. Ferrets are less than 50k Cbills each.

Your PCs will appreciate being able to fight in the shade

A Ferret with twin RL10s instead of infantry, keeping the MG and half-ton of ammo makes a decent representation of a Huey Cobra.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #32 on: 05 August 2021, 00:23:17 »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #33 on: 05 August 2021, 01:20:23 »
weren't RLs retconned to be available way earlier?

More or less? Standard rocket launchers aren't available before the marians created them, but primitive rocket launchers are available all the way back to... I think pre spaceflight.

At the very least the earliest canonical unit to use them dates to the Terran Alliance era, and they're actually the only one shot missile system available during the succession wars.

They take a very minor hit to cluster table rolls, but it's actually so minor that on average it has almost no affect.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #34 on: 05 August 2021, 05:06:09 »
Interstellar Operations (page 217) says Prototype RL-10s were introduced in 2320.  They also take a +1 penalty to hit.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #35 on: 05 August 2021, 05:27:25 »
Interstellar Operations (page 217) says Prototype RL-10s were introduced in 2320.  They also take a +1 penalty to hit.

Standard rocket launchers also take that penalty.

I'm iffy on the date, however, since the Hurricane fighter was supposed to be carrying an RL15 all the way back in 2297.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 05 August 2021, 05:35:00 »
And real-life rocket launchers have been around in some form or another since at least the 18th century, probably even in the the late 16th century in China.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 05 August 2021, 05:53:35 »
Standard rocket launchers also take that penalty.

I'm iffy on the date, however, since the Hurricane fighter was supposed to be carrying an RL15 all the way back in 2297.
Sounds like an errata for one book or another...

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
« Reply #38 on: 05 August 2021, 09:47:41 »

as far as I know, R/Ls become lostech before the Succession Wars. You can say the same for Rifle Cannons: I would consider them for field guns if they were not considered lostech by 3025. The heavy rifle cannon is cheaper than an AC/5 and delivers more damage (even against BAR10 armor)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 05 August 2021, 10:09:28 »
IO Page 46 gives all Rocket Launchers availability codes of B for all eras.

Register