Author Topic: Let's talk about: TRO Golden Century  (Read 25450 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: Let's talk about: TRO Golden Century
« Reply #180 on: 01 September 2020, 20:51:41 »
I fully intend to once the mini gets released.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #181 on: 02 September 2020, 01:34:02 »
I didn't even know "extinct" was a design quirk. I thought stuff like that was covered under "obsolete".

Obsolete means "still around, but only marginally, because there is a newer, better variant". Extinct means "it's gone".
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #182 on: 02 September 2020, 02:24:37 »
Obsolete means "still around, but only marginally, because there is a newer, better variant". Extinct means "it's gone".

The text of the Obsolete quirk specifies mechs that are no longer in production for which compatible parts are not available. It doesn't actually require the mech to be superseded by a superior model, and has been used before for mechs that were simply extinct (such as the Rampage or Dragoon. Those weren't replaced by better hardware, they died out).

I can't even find a description for an "extinct" design quirk. And I went through TRO Golden Century, Battlemech Manual, Strategic Operation, the most recent Strategic Operation errata, and all of the primitive xtros just in case. Which book is it in?

Because just from the context of the name itself, it seems to either be doing a job already being done, or it's trying to say "don't use this mech, you would be WRONG". Which would be silly. You're not the boss of me, design quirk. I'ma throw a Vision Quest in a modern force just to spite you.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #183 on: 02 September 2020, 02:51:38 »
The text of the Obsolete quirk specifies mechs that are no longer in production for which compatible parts are not available. It doesn't actually require the mech to be superseded by a superior model, and has been used before for mechs that were simply extinct (such as the Rampage or Dragoon. Those weren't replaced by better hardware, they died out).

I can't even find a description for an "extinct" design quirk. And I went through TRO Golden Century, Battlemech Manual, Strategic Operation, the most recent Strategic Operation errata, and all of the primitive xtros just in case. Which book is it in?

Because just from the context of the name itself, it seems to either be doing a job already being done, or it's trying to say "don't use this mech, you would be WRONG". Which would be silly. You're not the boss of me, design quirk. I'ma throw a Vision Quest in a modern force just to spite you.

I tried to simplify it in my response. What you do in your own game, is totally up to you. But if you want to stay within canon, some units are not available in some eras. Either because they have not been developed yet or they are extinct and there are simply none around.
But, as far as your own game goes, you can use a Fire Wolf in 2775, that's totally up to you.

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #184 on: 02 September 2020, 03:11:41 »
I tried to simplify it in my response. What you do in your own game, is totally up to you. But if you want to stay within canon, some units are not available in some eras. Either because they have not been developed yet or they are extinct and there are simply none around.
But, as far as your own game goes, you can use a Fire Wolf in 2775, that's totally up to you.

You miss my point. I'm not asking for permission to do what I want in my games and I'm not begrudging the writers for having a story line for Gods sake.

The quirk is so vague and meaningless and distinctly absent from everywhere else that I can see that I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF IT'S A TYPO OR NOT! I've got plenty of reasons to wonder if it's just not supposed to be there, based on how every other extinct thing has been handled, the fact that "extinct" doesn't appear as a quirk in any rule book or errata that I have access to, and the fact that it isn't even being applied consistently in the one book that I know it's appeared in, but I've also got a writer telling me that I just don't get it man.

Where is quirk? Why is quirk? Is this errata? Is something else supposed to be erratad?

Does this quirk even really exist? Do I exist? Was I extinct all along?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #185 on: 02 September 2020, 03:18:50 »
Where is quirk? Why is quirk? Is this errata? Is something else supposed to be erratad?

It was carried over from the Master Unit List, where we have been using it for over a decade.

Does this quirk even really exist?
Yes

Do I exist?
For the time being you were granted live by your maternal parent.

Was I extinct all along?
Yes.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #186 on: 02 September 2020, 03:57:36 »
It was carried over from the Master Unit List, where we have been using it for over a decade.

That... actually makes it sound even more like an error. Since extinct never made into BMR or Strat Ops, nor has it show up in any other product but this one, it looks an AWFUL LOT like internal notation that was supposed to be removed.

It would be silly to just throw it out there without any context or meaning, particularly when it appears to be ambiguous whether it should be applied to the Minsk and the Molniya and Sun Bear don't have it but are clearly described as completely gone by the text. It doesn't appear to be applied evenly in the very book where it was first shown to the reader.

Or are we supposed to be speculating about what the "not actually" extinct Molniya is supposed to mean? Could the homeworld invasion be coming behind an armada of fairly mediocre corvettes?

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #187 on: 02 September 2020, 15:55:12 »
Or are we supposed to be speculating about what the "not actually" extinct Molniya is supposed to mean? Could the homeworld invasion be coming behind an armada of fairly mediocre corvettes?

is it wrong that I quite like that idea?