Author Topic: Simultaneous attack declaration a la simultaneous movement  (Read 1524 times)

drjones

• Master Sergeant
Simultaneous movement (Tactical Operations pgs. 183-184) is one of the more intriguing advanced rules to me. It seems to me that the concept would readily extend to the fire declaration part of the weapon attack phase. I don't know how new simultaneous movement is, having jumped from the Battletech Compendium to Tactical Operations, so perhaps it's too new to have been explored further -- or is there a reason I haven't discovered why simultaneous fire declaration would be undesirable or unworkable?

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: Simultaneous attack declaration a la simultaneous movement
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2021, 22:39:01 »
Just because it's not in print doesn't mean it's deliberately omitted.
The amount of heavy lifting is simple:

"Weapons declaration for all units are written down to indicate the target for each weapon fired, the weapon's firing mode (IE double or single fire for Ultra ACs) and/or special ammo used. It is recommended to also notate the to-hit number calculated during the declaration, to speed up resolution subsequently. Weapons fire is then resolved using the normal rules."

All weapons fire is already simultaneous, so no additional rules are needed.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

drjones

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2021, 12:50:46 »
I think I saw that description in my search on the topic. My understanding is that it is a house rule. It makes sense and would seem like a good advanced rule counterpart to simultaneous movement. I may test it out in one of my upcoming games.

drjones

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2021, 12:53:51 »
I'm trying out simultaneous declarations (i.e. players write down their declarations at the same time) of weapons fire in my current game. So far, so good -- I have spotted one potential issue that hasn't arisen yet in the game. The potential issue is circumstances where one side has to make a decision, such as cases where line of sight runs exactly between two hexes, that could affect the other side.

Register