Author Topic: stoned ponies  (Read 2574 times)

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
stoned ponies
« on: 10 September 2022, 20:01:14 »
now in the fanpro mercenaries supplemental ll , there is a nice article on the stoned ponies mercenary company in the circinus federation. i was just wondering if there are any other write ups about them in other publishlications .
thanks

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
Re: stoned ponies
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2022, 00:07:12 »
As far as I can tell, the Stone Ponies only show up in Mercenaries Supplemental II and Mercenaries Supplemental Update (I have neither, I looked them up on Sarna)
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2022, 00:19:35 »
They’re the Stone Ponies, as in rocks.  Not Stoned Ponies, as in altered states of consciousness.

I believe the name originated with Hugh Browne, who contributed to several earlier BattleTech products.  I gamed with him in Boston.  He was a Linda Ronstadt fan, and her first band was a trio called the Stone Poneys.  (Spelled differently.)  Hugh thought it was a good name for a merc unit, and IIRC, submitted a write-up for Field Manual: Mercenaries or some earlier mercenary sourcebook.  Although that write-up did not make the cut, the name was picked up later for Merc Supp II and someone else did that write-up.  (Same thing happened to me with Gray’s Ghosts and some other merc units.) Apparently they figured out the connection, and named the Stone Ponies CO Lyndsey Reinstadt, an obvious allusion to Linda Ronstadt.

AFAIK, the Stone Ponies have not appeared anywhere else.  They and other Merc Supp II units (like Gray’s Ghosts) were written up as Jihad canon fodder/Blakist contractors and so did not have long lives.

Hope this helps.

As far as I can tell, the Stone Ponies only show up in Mercenaries Supplemental II and Mercenaries Supplemental Update (I have neither, I looked them up on Sarna)

Unless I missed something, Sarna is in error regrading Mercs Supp Update.  The Stone Ponies do not appear in the ToC, write-ups, roster, or special unit rules for that product.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2022, 00:30:12 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

abou

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2022, 09:41:36 »
I really wish it was actually Stoned Ponies now...

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2022, 06:45:06 »
Last time the Ponies were mentioned was the Jihad update for Mercenaries having them stationed within the Circinus Federation. they were wanted but unlike most other WoB merc units would only face a debriefing due to their humanitary actions. My best guess: turned into glowing ash by the Regulans during their rampage through the Federation.
Which would make them the Glowing Ponies  ;)

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2022, 09:57:32 »
could you give me the merc update number , so i can go over to drivethrurpg to see if they've got it .
thanks

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2022, 11:01:12 »
I really wish it was actually Stoned Ponies now...

That sounds like it should be a bunch of Goliath Scorpions who were taken as Abtakha by the Hell's Horses.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2022, 05:50:53 »
could you give me the merc update number , so i can go over to drivethrurpg to see if they've got it .
thanks

Just took a look at drivethrurpg and this ist the one

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/24645/BattleTech-Mercenaries-Supplemental-Update?src=hottest_filtered&filters=10132_0_0_0_0

Register