Author Topic: DK-1N Drakon LAM  (Read 532 times)

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
DK-1N Drakon LAM
« on: 16 December 2022, 09:32:12 »
So, pure silliness, I decided to create a LAM for one of the main baddies in my MechWarrior game. He hasn't shown his face yet, though that is coming up, and I wanted to give him a certain terror-by-surprise factor rather than being actually hyper-competent like so many other figures in the BattleTech universe. The villain in question is a too-rich-for-his-own-good type with an obsession for dragon stylings. His calling cards have holographic dragons on them. His suits have dragons on them. He spends extra to make sure his HPG messages come with dragon graphics. He's that guy.

So when I sat down to make his ride the dragon theme was top of my mind. Then I gave myself giggles considering how to build a CQC LAM. This thing is not meant to be actually good, I am certain a conventional 'mech with a partial wing would be vastly superior, but instead to be so off the wall that it can be shockingly effective. The first time. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, but I thought to ask the community for opinions and tweaks as the more minds involved the better the effect might be.

In particular I'd like suggestions for quirks, positive and negative, and SPAs that might make this thing work.

Drakon DK-1N
Base Tech Level: Experimental Mixed (Base IS)
Level          Era
-------------------
Experimental    - 
Advanced      3250+
Standard        - 
Extinct       3250+
Tech Rating: E/X-X-X-F

Weight: 45 tons
BV: 1,323
Cost: 3,966,856 C-bills

Movement: 4/6/4
AirMech: 2/3/12/18
Fighter: 4/6
Engine: 180 Fusion
Heat Sinks: 10
Cockpit: Small Cockpit
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 75
Armor: 152/153
                     Internal  Armor   
----------------------------------------
Head                        3      9   
Center Torso               14     22   
Center Torso (rear)                5   
Right Torso                11     17   
Right Torso (rear)                 5   
Left Torso                 11     17   
Left Torso (rear)                  5   
Right Arm                   7     14   
Left Arm                    7     14   
Right Leg                  11     22   
Left Leg                   11     22   

Weapons       Loc  Heat 
-------------------------
Flamer         HD    3   
Medium Laser   RT    3   
Medium Laser   LT    3   
Small Laser    CT    1   
Small Laser    RT    1   
Small Laser    LT    1   

Equipment               Loc 
-----------------------------
Triple Strength Myomer   RA 
Claw                     RA 
Claw                     LA 
Talons (Clan)            LL 

But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
Re: DK-1N Drakon LAM
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2022, 12:31:19 »
A point; while your theme is interesting, but I am sorry to say that LAMs are not allowed to add an attached melee weapon. Although even if it is allowed it don't makes LAMs to be overpowered so it is OK to allow it if you want.

Rather, what about Battlefists?

For negatives, what about Bad Reputation(for its ill fated role of melee paratrooper and terrible experience witht the small cockpit) or Exposed Actuators(for its transformable structure)?

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2022, 13:01:01 »
Well... (ascii-characters)! Guess that's what I get for trusting MML. So I guess that means at least the Illegal quirk is coming out to play. I'm just a bit too attached to the idea of a flying, rending, fire breathing deathtrap for this guy. Though I suppose it falling apart in mid-air could add to the relief when they've recovered from the initial onslaught.

While I would definitely agree to Bad Reputation if it were a production model, I'm seeing this as more of a one-off, Solaris type build. Throw enough money around in the right places and someone will take a job, no matter how stupid.

Exposed Actuators on the other hand is a good idea without reservation.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Engineering where it's not WHY but WHY NOT?
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2022, 13:10:38 »
I'm a fan of 4/6/4 LAMs because they can actually have a threatening weapons loadout while still remaining mobile.

As for MML allowing this, post a bug report in their tracker with the link to that topic so they can fix it.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2022, 17:52:32 »
I can only imagine it would work better at 55 tons and 5/8/5...  ^-^

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2022, 18:23:03 »
The illegal quirk exists for a reason. If a LAM with talons and claws makes for an interesting game, use it!
Jude Melancon lives!

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2022, 19:26:49 »
Yes, I am certain it would work better in a lot of ways. But I don't entirely want it to work excellently. Just be scary in the initial encounter and then scary in the implication of the amount of resources this yahoo has to throw around.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2022, 00:35:22 »
I don't see physical weapons being prohibited in IO:AE. Talons would still be illegal though because they take crits in multiple locations. I'd go with spikes instead of Talons.

Register