Author Topic: What if the Wolf Dragoons arrived as Galaxies/Clusters  (Read 3984 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
Re: What if the Wolf Dragoons arrived as Galaxies/Clusters
« Reply #30 on: 19 February 2023, 06:16:48 »
IT WOULD GIVE A CLIENT A REASON TO PAY LESS FOR THERE SERVICES AS IT WOULD BE HARDER TO USE IN AN INTERGRATED COMAND.. , AND CADRE CONTRACT MIGHT NEVER HAPPEN  AS LACK OF BE ABLE TO PRACTICE IN EXISTING ORGANIZATION EVEN LOSE OUT CADRE CONTRACTS SO NEVER WORKING FOR THE DRACONIS COMBINE . THE GENOSHA NEVER FORMED AND DEATH TO MERCENARY POLICY NEVER ENACTED.

« Last Edit: 19 February 2023, 06:20:28 by Col Toda »

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 20 February 2023, 10:30:13 »

6) the Dragoons did establish a number of smaller (technically unaffiliated) merc units as they rounded the Inner Sphere clock,

Is there a list of these units? Size? Did they report back to the Dragoons in some way?

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 20 February 2023, 12:09:30 »
As I understand it a good portion were part of the Allied Mercenary Command (AMC) which were wiped during the Jihad. Sarna has a listing, presumably the larger formations. As many were lance to company sized when founded. AMC being destroyed was likely some house cleaning. However, I know of no official listings prior to the Jihad.

As too their missions, no elaboration, but likely a way for players to have their own Dragoon adventures. Also, a plausible explanation as to where the Dragoons got their replacements prior to their orphan and breeding programs (pre-invasion).

Edit: However, looking at Sarna some of the units listed would pre-date the Dragoon's arrival, so maybe not a good list. The most famous unit would be Miller's Marauders/Barber's Marauder IIs if the original lore still stands, and they are not even listed...
« Last Edit: 20 February 2023, 12:15:09 by Ogra_Chief »
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 20 February 2023, 21:05:40 »
Is there a list of these units? Size? Did they report back to the Dragoons in some way?
Snord’s Irregulars is the only one that comes to mind.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #34 on: 20 February 2023, 21:19:46 »
Yes, Snord's Irregulars are the only ones that are a direct off-shoot of the Dragoons (unless, perchance, you want to count the Ryuken?). They did make a point of taking in literal orphans to fill their ranks.

Others may be thinking of the "farm teams" the Kell Hounds set up (Bradley's Bravo after the fact, Zimmer's Zouves before their untimely demise at about the same time they were founded).
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #35 on: 20 February 2023, 21:40:40 »
The Marauder (IIs) don't count? ???

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 20 February 2023, 21:48:49 »
Here are the origins of Snord's Irregulars both original (FASA 1614) and retconned (FASA 1643) for comparison. I still count the Miller's Marauders/Barber's Marauder IIs as Dragoon affiliates.
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #37 on: 20 February 2023, 22:25:18 »
There has never been any intimation that Miller's Marauders had anything to do with the Dragoons before Robinson late in the 4SW.  Indeed, the association apparently laid fallow until 3050ish where they were given the chance to reequip with MAD IIs. You know, two decades later.

They might be acquaintances, associates, comrades, or even friends, but there is no evidence of which I am aware of any affiliation, link, or common font between Wolf's Droons and Miller/Barber's Marauder [IIs].
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #38 on: 20 February 2023, 23:20:14 »
Right, I just took "deep space" to mean their caches, not all the way to the home worlds.
The 2nd one for sure met the Wolf Khan somewhere in deep space, it wasn't the homeworlds though IIRC, just somewhere 1/2 way along the path or so.

There has never been any intimation that Miller's Marauders had anything to do with the Dragoons before Robinson late in the 4SW.  Indeed, the association apparently laid fallow until 3050ish where they were given the chance to reequip with MAD IIs. You know, two decades later.

They might be acquaintances, associates, comrades, or even friends, but there is no evidence of which I am aware of any affiliation, link, or common font between Wolf's Droons and Miller/Barber's Marauder [IIs].
Agreed.
They were just in the Drac March at the same time & provided care to the civies & loaned them some DS.
The only spin off unit I've ever heard of was Snord.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #39 on: 21 February 2023, 08:43:58 »
 *Technically*..... technically speaking there was at least one Dragoon serving in another unit - the Ryuken during the 4th SW.

Fadre Singh.

I'm going to the bad fire for that one  ;D

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 21 February 2023, 13:12:44 »
Yes, Snord's Irregulars are the only ones that are a direct off-shoot of the Dragoons (unless, perchance, you want to count the Ryuken?). They did make a point of taking in literal orphans to fill their ranks.

Others may be thinking of the "farm teams" the Kell Hounds set up (Bradley's Bravo after the fact, Zimmer's Zouves before their untimely demise at about the same time they were founded).

That's what I was thinking/remembering. I didn't think they set any other unit up outside of Snord

Register