Author Topic: Abolisher Fast Attack VTOL (or as Acksed put it....)  (Read 1481 times)

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
Abolisher Fast Attack VTOL (or as Acksed put it....)
« on: 20 March 2023, 02:47:58 »
How to get Wipeout in Battletech.

A compact marvel of engineering on one hand, a veritable adrenaline filled death ride on the other. Named for the near flippant 'abolishment' in recognizing any speed limits which the vehicle regularly ignores, many of its detractors would more readily refer to it as a very expensive means to rapidly 'abolish' an entire generation of bloodnames. And the detractors are many, considering that this, with a massive dosage of irony, is in fact not a Clan Hell's Horses design. But in fact, seemingly in spite of near-universal stereotypes, it comes from the Rasalhague Dominion and Clan Ghost Bear.

Working off three partially concealed turbine engines - one set near vertically in the nose stabilizer, between the canards, and the others on independently pivoting servos at the very back of the craft, the Abolisher is renowned for both its stability and ease at which it can manuever. Or at least, as long as it's driver fights down the temptation to press the small red button on its side-mounted flightstick. Then, using a system working like the demented offspring of a jumpjet mated to a flamer, pressurized lines dump plasma into the compressed airstream just aft of the final compression chamber. The result is somewhat akin to injecting Nitrox into a combustion engine, along with an increase in it's top speed from an incredible 324kph to a truly hair-raising maximum velocity of 432kph, or for those already in shock and needing a more visceral and visual image: dashing across a full kilometer in just a hair over two seconds. The downside to this though is that the ride goes from being almost unnaturally smooth and beautifully responsive at the controls, to being more akin to trying to ride a bucking bronco at full gallop.

Thankfully, if one can say such, the engineers behind such madness took the time to at least attempt to properly armor the craft, quite possibly due to having 'acquired' a team of former Michaelson R&D staff, who promptly noticed how the original prototype was extremely back-heavy, unstable, along with 'paper providing better protection', and promptly did as all successful designs Michaelson releases do - by slapping on enough armor plating in the nose to not only bring the nose down enough to give it stability, but to sneer at even a Clantech particle cannon. They went a step further however, in incorporating software that subtly adjusted the yaw and pitch of the rear turbine pods to account for the belly mounted laser. Placed in a streamlined turret, one that is near invisible to spot if close to to ground, the turbines will slightly tilt off-center whenever the laser is swung around. And it will be moved around, just in order to accurately lock onto a target and fire in the fleeting moments the Abolisher is in range as it makes an attack pass.

Considering the tendency of test pilots to regularly ignore what were considered 'minimum' altitude safety limits, in order to create near complete and total surprise hit-and-fade attack runs from virtually any angle available to them, and in many cases, going as low as some hovertanks can lift off the ground, engineers managed to convince the Khan and Prince to utilize just enough spare endo-steel to allow them to fit in an ejector seat. Considering the Bear's saKhan at the time was a rarity, a Bloodnamed vehicle commander, based off a Vehicle-Elemental phenotype, whom took the 2nd prototype for a test flight and came back smiling ear to ear even though he'd lawndarted at 237kph and with two broken arms? They found themselves receiving permission to use nothing but endo-steel on the sole condition that the cockpit be expanded to fit any crew, from the minimum height requirements of aerospace pilots all the way up to the tallest and widest of Elementals.

Then the Ghost Bears did the unthinkable, and made it openly available to anyone with sufficiently deep enough pockets.

Native Rasahagians have taken to the Abolisher to an even greater degree than their trueborn neighbors. Entire companies of Abolishers are regularly seen decorated in Nordic paintjobs or trailing regimental streamer banners from their radio's whip antenna. There is also somewhat of a disturbing trend among the younger crews. After one such company had the 'luck' to be allowed onto Terra and look into historical archives involving single occupant, high-speed vehicles, to push the very limits of facial hairstyles allowed within the Touman and/or also braided liontails/ponytails, all in order to go modern day 'a Viking'. This company, along with several of their earliest 'adherents' have clashed repeatedly in minor border scuffles with the Draconis Combine, most prominently the 'not Yakuza' ill-thought of 8th Legion of Vega, whom having snapped up several Abolishers of their own, immediately repainted them with various Kabuki masks or samurai kabuto helmets stretched completely around the vehicle's nose and cockpit. Several of these cross-border incidents have come down to incidents more akin to posturing displays, the equivalent of armed street races as other units use the Abolishers as very visible - if highly annoying - distractions from the thrust of their main forces, however a few have turned into true firefights at exceptionally low altitudes yet at blisteringly high speeds. In the former, most Abolishers make it back to their bases or dropships, sporting no more than a few minor laser scored pockmarks across their armor - seen as badges of courage on both sides. In the latter, very few of these high risk craft manage to limp back, with dozens of shallow trenches ending in wreckage filled craters, littering the battlefield behind them.

Code: [Select]
Abolisher Fast Attack VTOL

Mass: 13 tons
Movement Type: VTOL
Power Plant: 165 XL
Cruising Speed: 216 kph
Maximum Speed: 432 kph
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
     1 ER Medium Laser
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3145
Tech Rating/Availability: F/X-X-X-D
Cost: 3,496,617 C-bills

Type: Abolisher
Technology Base: Clan (Experimental)
Movement Type: VTOL
Tonnage: 13
Battle Value: 860

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                  1.5
Engine                        165 XL                4.5
Cruising MP: 20
Flank MP: 30(40)
Heat Sinks:                   10                      0
Control Equipment:                                  1.0
Lift Equipment:                                     1.5
Power Amplifier:                                    0.0
Turret:                                             0.5
Armor Factor (Ferro)          48                    2.5

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Front                   2         15   
     R/L Side               2/2       8/8   
     Rear                    2         7     
     Turret                  2         8     
     Rotor                   2         2     

Weapons
and Ammo              Location    Tonnage   
ER Medium Laser        Turret       1.0     
VTOL Jet Booster        Body        0.5     

« Last Edit: 20 March 2023, 05:05:59 by AngryButler with a KNIFE! »
I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: Abolisher Fast Attack VTOL (or as Acksed put it....)
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2023, 15:00:24 »
This thing screams WITNESS ME for its pilots.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2023, 17:08:05 »
This thing screams WITNESS ME for its pilots.
It took an effort of will to only mention things in a roundabout way that the Rasalhagians are going full Hell's Angels/Outlaw bikers, while the 8th Legion of Vega has fully drunk the Bōsōzoku motorcycle gang kool-aid.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2023, 19:09:08 »
Sell to plastic surgeons, facelifts in one hour, no incisions needed
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

acksed

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2023, 11:26:33 »
*sniff* I'm so proud. :D
My Fic: [BattleTech] Not Invented Here - Technological progress is hard when you're all alone in the night... so why not send for help?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2023, 22:55:33 »
thank god it has a ejection seat..  8)

now u just need to slow it down a tad for Rasalhagians and add more "armor" or guns and make the 8th Legion of Vega faster with less armor

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2023, 23:30:35 »
thank god it has a ejection seat..  8)

now u just need to slow it down a tad for Rasalhagians and add more "armor" or guns and make the 8th Legion of Vega faster with less armor

armor=crash protection with VTOLs.  That would be counter to being able to actually USE them, esp. against the Kuritans.  Movement and position is how you win a VTOL fight, not armor plate and big guns.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2023, 05:00:35 »
armor=crash protection with VTOLs.  That would be counter to being able to actually USE them, esp. against the Kuritans.  Movement and position is how you win a VTOL fight, not armor plate and big guns.
;D I was refering to the difference between the average "outlaw" bike vrs "sucide rockets"
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2023, 10:58:38 »
;D I was refering to the difference between the average "outlaw" bike vrs "sucide rockets"

In such a comparison, you want to look at different KINDS of speed.  An outlaw biker rides a cruiser-that is, a bike that is fast, but it's fast over the long haul-it's consistently, always, fast.

Rice rocketeers are the guys who put  nitrous on a two-stroke for bursts of speed and quarter mile performance or canyon carving at 'low flying aircraft' speeds.

So...figure out how to cram rocket boosters and a supercharger on your Kuritan birds to give them that ridonkulous dash like a cafe racer, while your "outlaws" just go with a light chassis that has assloads of cruising speed.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2023, 06:52:25 »
In such a comparison, you want to look at different KINDS of speed.  An outlaw biker rides a cruiser-that is, a bike that is fast, but it's fast over the long haul-it's consistently, always, fast.

Rice rocketeers are the guys who put  nitrous on a two-stroke for bursts of speed and quarter mile performance or canyon carving at 'low flying aircraft' speeds.

So...figure out how to cram rocket boosters and a supercharger on your Kuritan birds to give them that ridonkulous dash like a cafe racer, while your "outlaws" just go with a light chassis that has assloads of cruising speed.
To put it another fashion, outlaw bikers are the guys cruising to the entire length of Van Halen's Panama and want to enjoy hearing the entire track, while the rocketeers are those whom have a random Eurobeat track on that you can jump into/out of at anytime no matter how long or short it is.

Or in a completely different way, the Rasalhagians probably would inevitably pull the VTOL jet booster that's already on this, adding on another 0.5t of armor, while the Kuritans would keep it as is.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2023, 09:28:29 »
The real question is whether or not there's tonnage for DOS, a sensor, and a boobytrap...
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 09 April 2023, 16:31:14 »
The real question is whether or not there's tonnage for DOS, a sensor, and a boobytrap...
Dunno. I am however considering building a 'VTOL' (technically) that can control drones, and then trailing behind it are 2+ other smaller ones that have identical firepower - a single laser, APGauss or LMGs, and a Thud-5.

*starts humming Free Flyer*

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #12 on: 09 April 2023, 16:38:21 »
...too late.   ;D. How about the drones, though?  I haven't made those yet.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 09 April 2023, 17:57:57 »
...too late.   ;D. How about the drones, though?  I haven't made those yet.
Not yet. Just got back from Sakuracon and haven't really had time yet to work on any designs or do megamek testing.

1. ow ow ow my calves.
2. Con is so big now they had to split it across three buildings, only two are connected via a skybridge, and its 2 1/2 blocks apart under open WA state weather skies for the other building that isn't connected. Up a hill from the other buildings. OTOH the new building is massive, and vastly easier to get around.
3. *waves to the other tabletoppers I met on Floor 3* One of you had an excellent No-Dachi custom job to look like Takeda Shingen's armor. With the famous war banner.
4. 3 days of con, 5hr sleep in total, 6hr drive there/6hr back. Haven't unpacked minis yet.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #14 on: 09 April 2023, 18:07:56 »
That sounds awesome!   :thumbsup:

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 09 April 2023, 19:11:51 »
Not yet. Just got back from Sakuracon and haven't really had time yet to work on any designs or do megamek testing.

1. ow ow ow my calves.
2. Con is so big now they had to split it across three buildings, only two are connected via a skybridge, and its 2 1/2 blocks apart under open WA state weather skies for the other building that isn't connected. Up a hill from the other buildings. OTOH the new building is massive, and vastly easier to get around.
3. *waves to the other tabletoppers I met on Floor 3* One of you had an excellent No-Dachi custom job to look like Takeda Shingen's armor. With the famous war banner.
4. 3 days of con, 5hr sleep in total, 6hr drive there/6hr back. Haven't unpacked minis yet.
What you slept???  What there was not a game to play at that time???
Most have been a blast

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 09 April 2023, 21:15:33 »
What you slept???
I cheated. I parked on the bottom floor of the con's parking garage and my SUV has a hard plastic 'shelf' that I can use to store two stacks of stuff on when doing Costco runs.
Or........
I folded one of the backseats down, stuffed my sleeping bag under the plastic shelf, folded the seat back up but didn't lock it into place, and managed to completely avoid having to pay for a hotel room without anyone bugging me in order to crash for about 5 hours.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 09 April 2023, 21:32:33 »
 :thumbsup: great plan :thumbsup:

I remember being much younger and going on fri coming home sun, no sleep..  just sugar and caffine..