Author Topic: How to get yourself off-planet.  (Read 841 times)

TriplerSDMB

• Corporal
  • I ♥ C4
How to get yourself off-planet.
« on: 08 July 2023, 10:58:04 »
Within MegaMek, how does one get between planets without owning a dropship?

Case-in-point, I've got a small, humble Mercenary Company that just picked up a new contract on another planet.  I've got 5 'Mechs, a support vehicle or two, and all my support staff (Techs/Mechanics/Logistics/HR/etc.).  What I don't have is a way to get the from planetside to jump point.  I reckon I've got four options:
  • When I use MegaMek to calculate jump paths, it already factors in the costs of a charter JumpShip and a DropShip, so I'm okay. . . 
  • I should come up with a 'House Rule' to simply hire a local "space taxi," and deduct $1M (or so) from my finances
  • I need to take out a huge loan to buy my own DS.
  • I'm outta luck, am stuck on the planet, and should just keep on finding contracts on the same planet.

How do you gals & guys play this part of the mission?  I figure I've been doing it wrong for years, and want to play this new campaign as "by-the-book" as possible.

Thanks!
DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and ideas put forth in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. ©1998-2023 - 'The Voices' (TM). All rights reserved.

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: How to get yourself off-planet.
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2023, 11:55:52 »
Campaign Operations has rules for calculating the cost to rent a DropShip as well as the per jump fee for a JumpShip. Also, transportation can sometimes be provided by the employer. How often it happens isn't cover by the rules though.

There is also an option in MekHQ that does all the calculations for you but is more abstract and not based on the rules. Under finances you can check the Pay for Transport option. Any travel outside a contract will still need to be calculated by hand.

TriplerSDMB

• Corporal
  • I ♥ C4
Re: How to get yourself off-planet.
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2023, 16:28:31 »
Campaign Operations has rules for calculating the cost to rent a DropShip as well as the per jump fee for a JumpShip. Also, transportation can sometimes be provided by the employer. How often it happens isn't cover by the rules though.

Found 'em! Page 43 in my book. . .  I've made a note of this for future campaigns.

There is also an option in MekHQ that does all the calculations for you but is more abstract and not based on the rules. Under finances you can check the Pay for Transport option. Any travel outside a contract will still need to be calculated by hand.

Found that too--and I've had it checked.  Much obliged!  Bottom line, I'll stick with the MMek calculations at this point.

- Trip
DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and ideas put forth in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. ©1998-2023 - 'The Voices' (TM). All rights reserved.

Register