Author Topic: SLDF Command Lance (PAX)  (Read 830 times)

PantherAl

• Recruit
SLDF Command Lance (PAX)
« on: 02 December 2023, 23:10:35 »
So, as a SLDF guy, this was great news. But for a couple of questions - is the Orion just a repose (I think it is, since it still has the LRM pack it isn't the GR armed one), and is the Atlas 2 the Dark Age version with the Rotary, not the LBX? Since I am assuming, judging from the sculpt and the size difference between the AC20 arm and the Rotary arm in the Iron Winds version, that it is indeed a RAC5 and not an LBX10.
Old Player Returning = Early Member of the CoB (if you know you know) = A Former Rec.Games.Mecha FAQ Maintainer

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
Re: SLDF Command Lance (PAX)
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2023, 07:51:07 »
For the Atlas II, I think it's a case of the autocannon differing in appearance based on the artist.  I've been LBX, ultra, rotary, and even standard ACs drawn as both single-barrel and multiple-barrel weapons.  Fortunately WYSIWYG isn't a requirement for the game, though it's always neat to see different variants of stuff :)

Speaking of the command lance, I love that Thunder Hawk!  I'm looking forward to seeing its art in the next RG :cool:
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2023, 08:09:29 »
So, as a SLDF guy, this was great news. But for a couple of questions - is the Orion just a repose (I think it is, since it still has the LRM pack it isn't the GR armed one), and is the Atlas 2 the Dark Age version with the Rotary, not the LBX? Since I am assuming, judging from the sculpt and the size difference between the AC20 arm and the Rotary arm in the Iron Winds version, that it is indeed a RAC5 and not an LBX10.

The Atlas II's looks is a weird case. Originally it was supposed to be this:

From MWDA.
The weapons selected match the guns in this, except for the LB-10X was used (presumably) because Ultra-5 is a bit anemic and the LB-10X was the only reasonable option for the Star League era.

However, it was decided to change the looks to this:

MechAssault Atlas, with MWDA-looking armament.

And the MWDA Atlas got canonized as Atlas III, with actual rotary AC (or HAG in a variant).

I'll dig up some sources:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,39238.msg1363740.html#msg1363740
EDIT could've sworn there was more detail to this somewhere....

EDIT Note that autocannon looks aren't necessarily tied to their function. The Blade 7R has single-barrel revolver cannon style RAC/5. Ultras can be rotary multi-barrel designs too, see the Dire Wolf Widowmaker model for example.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2023, 08:16:28 by Empyrus »

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2023, 09:17:48 »

The arms  on IWM sculpt represents Gauss Rifle and LBX10, which the LBX arm matching the plastic sculpt.

So my guess it's a stock AS7-D-H

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2023, 09:20:45 »
The IWM Atlas II model has both H and H2 arm options. H has LB-10X (that looks like a RAC) and 2xERLL, the H2 is Gauss and ERPPC.