Author Topic: Launching from a Cargo Stuffed Bay?  (Read 156 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Launching from a Cargo Stuffed Bay?
« on: 29 July 2024, 13:09:29 »
Hello,

I was reading the new Errata about having Cargo in "Bays" if the Bay isn't full to capacity.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=27319.msg2015987#msg2015987

***If bay is occupied but has mass capacity remaining, this mass can be used for Cargo,Standard. Bay cannot be used for maintenance/customization(Campaign Operations, p. 193 and 211) or dropping troops(Strategic Operations, p. 20) while carrying standard cargo.

My question is.

You have denied the ability to use the Bay for Maintenance or "Dropping Troops" if it has Cargo in there as well.

But can you still deploy from it as Non-Cargo?

Basically, if I cram 2 ASF into a Shuttle Bay, can I launch from it immediately, then "Move the 2nd one as Cargo" to the launch cradle & launch again?

My impression is that the goal was to NOT allow them to be functional as a "Bay" based having ANY cargo in there at all.

But I'm seeing custom designs about getting around the 50-Ton ASF Cradle "Tax" & launching a 2nd Fighter from Cargo than normal faster.

PS.  While I like the "limit" of not using the bay as a "balance" for this new rule, it doesn't really fit with the concept that you don't cram boxes up against your mech in the cradle itself & a normal "Cargo" bay is not actually just barely big enough to fit the mass it is allotted since cargo has different density.
Cotton Balls v/s Gold Ingots for example.  And DS are massively "open/airy" given the Mass v/s Volume calculations, but I get it, its a game.
Any excess "mass" from carrying a Wasp v/s Atlas would really be in the Cargo Bay itself & not in the cradle.
Which actually might explain the "open" area of a DS.  All Cargo Bays are large enough to carry their "Mass" in Cottonballs, while the rest of the ship is cramped.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo