Author Topic: Small Stature Trait  (Read 367 times)

Daryk

• Major General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Small Stature Trait
« on: 28 August 2024, 20:39:17 »
Small Stature means a character is at the minimum for whatever career path they've chosen (or have figured out how to cheat the system that would otherwise bar them).  In my personal experience, I've met some people in the military who I would swear were too short to be allowed to serve, but there they were!  Stats below...

Small Stature (100 XP)
Characters of Small Stature take no penalty from units with the Small Cockpit quirk (which is a -2 quirk).  Their small size seems perfectly fitted to those units.  Their smaller than average size means they're generally not as strong as those of full height (leverage counts), so their maximum Attributes for BOD and STR are limited to 6 (they can achieve 7 with the Exceptional Attribute trait).  They can use "normal" cockpits with technical adjustments that only need to be made once to any individual machine.  If a character with Small Stature uses a normal cockpit without adjustments (for some reason), they take the same penalties for Piloting imposed by the Small Cockpit quirk.

While all children technically have Small Stature, their general lack of skills prevents them from meaningfully benefiting from this quirk.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
Re: Small Stature Trait
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2024, 03:24:14 »
How small makes them to actually acquire and keep small stature trait?

Although it is different rule but, GURPS 4th defines smaller than average(which is meaningfully considered as a flaw and has -1 size for the average size of its own race) as less than about 130cm, or 75% of average. I remember that 130cm is the average height of about 8y and 8m children, both for male and female gender, so it would be VERY short. Is it about the height you imagine for the appropriate height of small stature? Else it could be longer but slim form does count as well?

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2024, 03:35:08 »
The Small Cockpit is vague, and I'm being just as vague on that point to match it.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2024, 03:50:04 »
That't legit. Then, it's assumed that they are not expected to have more than average height but that's effectively all the vague limitation for that.

I think that this trait does makes sense. Such as tank crews are generally have the upper limit for the height, for its cramped hatch and inner space means the shorter personnel would be better for the tank crew. It's known that those insane enough to make the protomech of their own in IS consider child soldier as well.

I was also thought about similar thing for some characters. For example some kind of clans aerospace fighter gene may results the body that is suitable for this trait. It is also possible that genetic engineering other than that does works as well. Still it is quite possible that there would be the appropriate person by chance too.

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2024, 19:30:52 »
Yeah, clanner ASF pilots don't get to ignore Cramped Cockpit by default, but this trait would let them do that.

Register