Author Topic: Triple and Quadruple Heat Sinks: analysis of a concept  (Read 145 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Disclaimer: I understand ther triple and qudruple heat sinks are something that could potentially change the balance of the game. This is more practice for me to learn how to balance tech better, and maybe an example of how not to do THS or QHS.

Note: crit slots are for the Inner Sphere tech base versions, as these are IS tech only.
Triple heat sinks:
Crits: 5
Tonnage(per a non-weight free heat sink): 1.5 tons
Heat Dissapation: 3 per heat sink

Quad Heat Sinks:
Crits: 7
Tonnage(per a Non-weight Free Heat Sinks): 2 tons
Heat Dissapation: 4 heat per heat sink.

Now you can see immediately that this makes it so mounting a XXL Fusion Engine or even light,XL or Standard Fusion engine with high heat weapons is not as a much of a problem en masse. Below is a chart that shows the maximum heat dissapation per ten heat sinks compared to current singles and doubles vs triples and quads. these Numbers assume you are running as fusion engine variant of some sort of IS tech base. Bracketed Numbers are DHS,THS and QHS true maximum heat dissapation.

Single Heat Sinks: 10
Double Heat Sinks 10[20]
Triple Heat Sinks: 10[30]
Quad Heat Sinks: 10[40]

As you can see, less and less dependance on extra heat sinks assuming 10+ in engine and weight free heat sinks. but if you are say running an ICE of fuel cell engine on a battlemech(of heaven forbid a Fission Engine) you can on paper invest more into weapons and equipment and/or armor and mobility on a battlemech or Areospace Fighter with THS or QHS. Thus Reducing the ammount of tonnage dedicated to heast sinks on mechs and ASF for example.

So how do we balance these out from both a Battle Value and In universe monetary cost?

Well good question, one is to take the formula for BV costs of Double heat sinks and increase them by 50% for Triples and Double the values for Qauds. Another thing you can justify is the higher monetary costs of triple and quad heat sinks by giving them a 50% to x2 monetary cost over Doubles.

Another thing one should consider when designing THS and QHS for gamepaly purposes is to increase the bulkiness and the tonnage, like I have done above in this post. This means for every non-weight free THS or QHS you need invest more crit space and/or tonnage to heat dissapation on a applicable unit type that can mount them.

And that is all I have on this analysis post, feel freee to share you're thoughts on the subject as I have a feeling more experienced designers on here have good knowledge to shar on homebrew technology. Also I don't mind CGL adapting the THS and QHS in this article into something usable in the construction and gameplay rules for Battle Tech.

Mechanis

• Corporal
Re: Triple and Quadruple Heat Sinks: analysis of a concept
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2024, 15:08:30 »
My usual take on Triples is to make them Distaff Counterpart Clan DHS - 3 cooling, 3 crits, 1.5 tons.
For theoretical QHS, I think making them "Compact Sinks but better" would be a more interesting track, same space in engine rules as Compact Sinks but cooling set up to be DHS equivalent. Probably the same 2 tons as Compact Sinks, but 2 crits for out of the engine, perhaps.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Triple and Quadruple Heat Sinks: analysis of a concept
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2024, 18:03:53 »
I'd have to think about how I'd extend my idea in this vein: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,62762.0.html

Register