Author Topic: Unique Tactics by Faction  (Read 1868 times)

Metallgewitter

• Captain
Re: Unique Tactics by Faction
« Reply #30 on: 14 September 2024, 15:55:35 »
Could also perhaps depend on the quality of the officer corps. For example the AFFS is supposed to have the most professional officer corps and the Lyrans are known for having an officer corps riddled with social officers. From there doctrines are shaped. While the Lyrans have a somewhat capable high command the mover on the field might not be. There is a little side note in the Savannah Master section where the pilots were pleasantly suprised after the formation of the Federated Commonwealth and the infusion of Davion advisors that gave them more tactical options instead of the usual "Charrrgeeee!" order issued by Lyran commanders
That what does not kill us has made it's last mistake!

We are eternal! We are etheral! We will fight you until the skies fall and the heavens burn!

Remember: retreat hell!

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #31 on: 15 September 2024, 09:20:07 »
You've got that backwards; Lyran command at the higher levels is where the social generals hang their hats, but the company- and field-grade officers actually tend to be pretty good.

Another thing to remember is that the availability of specific types of equipment will also shape doctrine, since you have to plan around using the gear that you have.  Marik long-range doctrine revolves around LRMs and not PPCs (like, say, Kurita) because for much of the Succession Wars, they didn't have high levels of PPC production.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 15 September 2024, 13:24:37 »
You've got that backwards; Lyran command at the higher levels is where the social generals hang their hats, but the company- and field-grade officers actually tend to be pretty good.

Another thing to remember is that the availability of specific types of equipment will also shape doctrine, since you have to plan around using the gear that you have.  Marik long-range doctrine revolves around LRMs and not PPCs (like, say, Kurita) because for much of the Succession Wars, they didn't have high levels of PPC production.

Ther High command. The one in the highest positions don't seem to be that incompetent. Problematic are the colonels and generals actually commanding units which in turn led to NCO's being a cut above most Is NCO's

We are eternal! We are etheral! We will fight you until the skies fall and the heavens burn!

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 19 September 2024, 17:29:42 »
Ice Hellion: Swarm tactics and complaints

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 20 September 2024, 10:51:33 »
Ice Hellion: Swarm tactics and complaints
The positive spin is Ice Hellions were willing to use pack tactics and valued bold tactics and strategies even if they invited risk.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: 20 September 2024, 15:25:17 »
Ice Hellions specialty formation is flurry,  but I not sure what it precisely it does
« Last Edit: 21 September 2024, 05:48:34 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 20 September 2024, 21:48:52 »
The flurry is where a group of Ice Hellion light mecha all shoot at a far heavier opponent in the first volley of a duel.  Then 1 light unit engages the heavier opponent in battle, and the weakened foe is supposed to be easy prey.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 20 September 2024, 22:28:24 »
The flurry is where a group of Ice Hellion light mecha all shoot at a far heavier opponent in the first volley of a duel.  Then 1 light unit engages the heavier opponent in battle, and the weakened foe is supposed to be easy prey.

That's Pack Zell, A Star will scythe through and conduct a drive by and then bid down to fewer units or weapons to finish off the opponent. Being on the wrong side of 5 Hellions or Arctic Cheetahs will certainly cause some problems to even the most stout Assault Mechs.

A Flurry unit is a fast mostly conventional force consisting of way to many hovercraft and VTOLs that are sent on missions unsuitable for that role. Its basically the Clan equivalent of parachute ops.

Flurry units go in fast and do their best to hold territory until heavier, slower (although being Hellions that means <6, look at the Linebacker) equipment arrives in order to secure it. Casualties can be heavy but training is not necessarily. The Hellions are also more free to group freeborn and trueborn unlike other Clans as they have a dedicated training center for that on Hector.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 21 September 2024, 08:49:28 »
That's Pack Zell, A Star will scythe through and conduct a drive by and then bid down to fewer units or weapons to finish off the opponent. Being on the wrong side of 5 Hellions or Arctic Cheetahs will certainly cause some problems to even the most stout Assault Mechs.

A Flurry unit is a fast mostly conventional force consisting of way to many hovercraft and VTOLs that are sent on missions unsuitable for that role. Its basically the Clan equivalent of parachute ops.

Flurry units go in fast and do their best to hold territory until heavier, slower (although being Hellions that means <6, look at the Linebacker) equipment arrives in order to secure it. Casualties can be heavy but training is not necessarily. The Hellions are also more free to group freeborn and trueborn unlike other Clans as they have a dedicated training center for that on Hector.

Imagine being on the wrong end of 5 Solitaire's

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #39 on: 21 September 2024, 09:09:54 »
I'm seeing stuff regarding the Clans and the Successor States, but what about the Periphery States?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 21 September 2024, 10:54:40 »
I'm seeing stuff regarding the Clans and the Successor States, but what about the Periphery States?

There are only 4 of them and they have smallish militaries. For the most part they don't have anything distinctive about them until later in history.

Outworlds Alliance is very Aerospace focused
The Magistracy of Canopus is very intelligence/Special Forces focuses.
Taurians are very defensive minded and utilize combined arms.
Rasalhague tried to be a blend of LCAF and DCMS

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 21 September 2024, 11:20:52 »
Rasalhague as a Periphery state?

And you forgot the Marians, who are just weird.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 21 September 2024, 15:29:06 »
Well the Outworlds Alliance has a "we don't let pirates not even land on our planets" doctrine. Oh and "Mechs are bad"
The Magistracy is basically just like they were when they were founded: a military focused on mobility and quick responses to catch pirates while also delivering surgical strikes to any invader

EPG

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 22 September 2024, 13:02:46 »
There are only 4 of them and they have smallish militaries. For the most part they don't have anything distinctive about them until later in history.

Outworlds Alliance is very Aerospace focused
The Magistracy of Canopus is very intelligence/Special Forces focuses.
Taurians are very defensive minded and utilize combined arms.

The Taurians also place a heavy focus on static-ish space defenses of the hyades cluster region, and of course they also have a first strike/first use nuclear weapons policy.

The Canopians have a strong diplomatic game.  Backed by their medical and entertainment industries, no serious players want to be enemies with the Magestracy.  This means that pirates are the only ones likely to try and make an attack.

Large portions of the populace/electorate of the outworlds alliance are pacifists of some sort, and the federal apparatus of the national aren’t very strong.  This makes anything other than passive defense (preferably not ground based to avoid wide scale involvement of the populace in military activities) is the only real option left.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #44 on: 23 September 2024, 20:13:10 »

The FRR is a Periphery state?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 23 September 2024, 20:21:46 »
The FRR is a Periphery state?

is it not in fact on the outside of The Inner Sphere? and is it not a Great House? That IMO made it a Periphery state while it existed.

It is certainly not a Successor State, COMSTAR, or Clan until after Tukayyid, when it became a COMSTAR protectorate, and the Jihad, when the rump state joined Clan Ghost Bear to form the Rasalhague Dominion.

EPG

• Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 23 September 2024, 21:49:13 »
is it not in fact on the outside of The Inner Sphere? and is it not a Great House? That IMO made it a Periphery state while it existed.

It is certainly not a Successor State, COMSTAR, or Clan until after Tukayyid, when it became a COMSTAR protectorate, and the Jihad, when the rump state joined Clan Ghost Bear to form the Rasalhague Dominion.

The FRR is definately inside the inner sphere.  No part of it is periphery based. 

It’s not a successor state because it wasn’t a member of the star league originally, and has never laid claim to the throne of the Terran hegemony.  Technically a periphery state could also have been a successor state (claimed the throne) but none of them did.  And not all the inner sphere states were required to be successor states; all it would take is for one of them not to claim the star league  throne but all 5 did.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #47 on: 23 September 2024, 23:19:27 »

The FRR was formed from worlds that had originally been part of the Draconis Combine to create a buffer between the Combine and the Lyran side of the Federated Commonwealth.  It would be literally impossible for it to be a Periphery state.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 24 September 2024, 02:10:16 »
If the FRR is the Periphery then the CapCon is too  :wink:

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #49 on: 24 September 2024, 11:32:48 »
The FRR was formed from worlds that had originally been part of the Draconis Combine to create a buffer between the Combine and the Lyran side of the Federated Commonwealth.  It would be literally impossible for it to be a Periphery state.

IIRC, weren’t some of the worlds of the FRR also originally part of the Tamar Pact, and were therefore part of the Lyran Commonwealth before they were taken by the DC and/or ceded to the FRR?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #50 on: 24 September 2024, 13:18:50 »
I think there were a few, but it was made mostly of former Combine worlds.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 24 September 2024, 19:52:22 »
Actually, a large # of worlds were LC worlds, most specifically, worlds that had just been returned to them in the last 5 years.

A huge # of the Tamar Worlds that the LC had JUST recaptured from the Combine, reversing 1st/2nd SW Losses in the 4th SW, were then turned around & given away to the FRR which was IIRC how Teddy got Takashi & other Hardliners to swallow the deal, or something that C* mentioned anyway, is that those "losses" from 3028-3030 would no longer be going to Lyran Coffers so to speak.

The LyrCom wasn't a big fan of this but, it did create a buffer state & they couldn't be looking to be hypocrites for "freeing worlds" only to "stop them from full freedom".

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 24 September 2024, 19:56:59 »